Made it cross country

SKimballC

Reaction score
As some of you may know I had some problems with my rig right as I was leaving on a rather long drive. I got the electrical problems straightened out and hit the road. Well, almost 3000 miles later, I made it. Truck did great. I had to watch the temps on some of the many steep mountain grades, and I did feel the need the turn the fuel down due to high altitudes. The only real problem I had was the loss of my Gear Vendor which crapped out about 1100 miles in- just before we hit the Denver area. The problem arose out of the blue and got worse very quickly. It started either slipping or cutting in and out, not too sure as I shut it off quickly when it started doing that, and after a gear oil change and check of the electrical system didn't improve the situation I left it off. I will call GV and get into that later.
The trip was great. Got pelted by hail at the top of the continental divide in Rocky Mountain National Park, saw petroglyphs in Dinosaur National Monument, got wet in the Yampa River, and sunburned hiking near 10000 feet. Now I am in Portland, Oregon for the foreseeable future;Sweet

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Glad you made it, did you go up the Fall River road in RMNP?

I grew up in the Memphis area, where is Stumptown?

SKimballC

Reaction score
Joe- Nah, we went over the Trail Ridge road like the all the other tourists. The Fall River road sounds pretty hardcore though.
Stumptown is one of Portland's nicknames.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Glad you made it OK.
Sounds like the O rings in the solenoid on the GV are leaking. I do know a guy who sells an oring kit for those thing real cheap. Beats the heck out of spending over a hundred bucks for a new solenoid, and GV doesn't sell the orings.

--------Robert

SKimballC

Reaction score
Robert-
Tell me more please about these o-rings. I would like to get that GV working again.
I just spoke with a guy at GV who told me some tests to run. He thinks its electrical. The resistance across the solenoid is what it should be, so I'll start running through the other tests later. I will probably try running 12v straight to the solenoid through the switch and eliminate the controller and speed sensor to see what it does then.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Robert-
Tell me more please about these o-rings. I would like to get that GV working again.
I just spoke with a guy at GV who told me some tests to run. He thinks its electrical. The resistance across the solenoid is what it should be, so I'll start running through the other tests later. I will probably try running 12v straight to the solenoid through the switch and eliminate the controller and speed sensor to see what it does then.

If you eliminate the electric, it's the orings, there's a few on the outside of the shaft where it goes into the housing and then there's another real tiny insert inside the shaft with a few more orings on it.
I'll PM the guy's email who has the parts ( and he's a wiz on laycock OD units )

--------Robert

Reaction score
Cool, now we need to have an Oregon/Washington member get together once your all settled in ;Sweet .

I'm in, and thought to suggest it too.

Portland got the name "Stumptown" because in the 1800's, so many people moved here so fast, that there were stumps all over. I don't think many people around here even know it, but then they are moving here so fast from all over they might start doing it again! :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, keep us posted on the GV issue. We don't hear about a lot of problems with them, so we don't have a lot of knowledge about how to fix them. At least it was true to it's advertisement, of being able to keep you going, even when it isn't. Congrats on the mission accomplished. I've always wanted to drive across the country, but don't know if I'll ever get to do it.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I'm almost going cross country. After the rally I'm headed for Mt Rushmore. Hope all goes well. I'll need a list of OB brothers along the way just in case something happens
John

SKimballC

Reaction score
yea, keep us posted on the GV issue. We don't hear about a lot of problems with them, so we don't have a lot of knowledge about how to fix them. At least it was true to it's advertisement, of being able to keep you going, even when it isn't. Congrats on the mission accomplished. I've always wanted to drive across the country, but don't know if I'll ever get to do it.

Will do. It seems to me that these things are made very well and issues with them are rare. So far, technical support is good too.
This was my fourth 2000 to 3000 mile trip in an IDI Ford in the last 20 months. The only other problems I have had on any of them was a bad ignition switch and a frozen engine coolant in low temps in Colorado due to a PO's inability to mix coolant and water.:mad: The latter kinda sucked but that's a long story with a not-so-happy ending, which led me to truck #2...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where exactly are you??? Would be great to hook up, I have many parts suppliers to draw from, hydraulic and the like so lets get the gv fixed.
russ

SKimballC

Reaction score
I be up NE at the 205/Glisan area in an :puke: apartment. I have no idea where anything is yet around here:dunno
Russ, for sure- if the electrical isn't it and I have to get into the hydraulics, let's do it. Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I was just up there. 122 and glisan is the best breakfast for cheap in town, Jodys, open at 7 and the scenery is good too. :rotflmao
I will be there saturday morning, I have to go to my buddys shop and hone some turbo parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online