Lykkan's rebuild thread

Lykkan

Reaction score
Did some maintenance on a co-worker's wife's buick rendezvous for $460 + labor and he gave me a 94 idi factory 7.3 turbo dually crew cab. Had diesel in the crankcase and sat for 2 years. Ordered rebuilt injector pump and injectors. Trying to buy a house so it's somewhat delayed to get it back on the road.
Here's some pics.
You must be registered for see images

Lykkan

Reaction score
Started stripping off Bs

Also ordered an electric marine fuel pump.
Plan on cleaning up more this weekend and repairing fiberglass front spoiler / valance

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
He had the lift pump replaced. I'mthinking it's injector pump's front seal

Since it's a '94, I doubt it. The IP actually has two seals between the timing gear end and the fuel, with a weep hole between them. Diesel fuel leaking from the weep hole indicates a failed seal.

Unless the weep hole was plugged, or the IP was swapped with an early 6.9 unit that doesn't have the weep hole.

Nice score btw!

Lykkan

Reaction score
Think it may be a stuck injector? I'm replacing all the old fuel injection **** anyways tho

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that mine was heavily laden with BS when I brought it home, it was still fun nonetheless to strip it all off. I do hope you're planning on putting the bumper cutout surround back on though. Good deal on the truck, please keep us posted. I do enjoy build threads.

Lykkan

Reaction score
Not that mine was heavily laden with BS when I brought it home, it was still fun nonetheless to strip it all off. I do hope you're planning on putting the bumper cutout surround back on though. Good deal on the truck, please keep us posted. I do enjoy build threads.
Yeah the plastic trim is already back on there. My s.o. Was towing me with a f450 work truck and she took a corner pretty fast, bent the front bumper as that's what we were using to tow it. Going to try bending bumper back. Would like to eventually go with a HD bumper though

Lykkan

Reaction score
Yeah, think I'm close to being able to finish priming the fuel. Has required charging the batteries multiple times. They're obviously junk after sitting.
I'm going to need to replace the ends of the wiring to the glow plugs as they're cracking from the heat/age. girlfriend wanted to watch game of thrones tonight instead of going to the shop. Picked up a carter P4389 fuel pump (same as p4070 but for diesel and marine use, $64 right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/191565889151?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT )
Hope to work on it tomorrow. Had to prove possession of funds in bank for mortgage, so money is tight for the next 2 weeks.

Kind of early to think about paint, but S.O. does bodywork/paint for a living so she told me to pick a color. I want to go with lincoln MKX Mediterranean with gray bumpers and black accessories (visor, mirrors, etc) Has a few tiny dings that we'll need to pull out but should be pretty painless. No major body issues. Slightly indent in top of rear bed, small spot of rust ontop of roof in drip edge, no rust anywhere else.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually fuel in the oil is from the mechanical lift pump or the injection pump. Not usually from a stuck open injector. When you get the engine running you will know if an injector is bad. A stuck open injector will not fire that cylinder.

Lykkan

Reaction score
Usually fuel in the oil is from the mechanical lift pump or the injection pump. Not usually from a stuck open injector. When you get the engine running you will know if an injector is bad. A stuck open injector will not fire that cylinder.
As the lift pump has been replaced, I'm going to assume itstill it's the injection pump.
Doesn't matter though, I have a new electric pump, IP, and injectors + injector return lines. Want to check the diesel that's been sitting for 2 years before pumping that through new items.
Think the diesel would have an issue?