ls rear end questions

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I am also curious which way you would go with synthetic gear oil for our axles. I'm betting I should look into it soon as I'm pretty sure mine has never been changed...76k and counting!

For synthetic it's a tossup. For mixed running a 75w-90 works fine that a combination of running empty and occasional towing . For constant heavy towing I'd go with the 70w-110
I've been running the Amsoil severe gear 75w-90 in mine. I did notice on a recent really long trip while towing heavy out in the desert that the rear axle was warm when I stopped. Nowhere near as hot as it used to get even without a trailer on the dino oil that was in it when I got the thing, but it felt like I could go a tad heavier with the kind of weight I was pulling. I'm gong to put the 75w-110 in mine, but it's really a matter or overkill more than anything else

Either one is going to flow freely in your pumpkin below -50 deg f where dino gear oil has turned to molasses by the mid +teens and by around 0 it's not flowing much of anywhere

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thanks RLDSL, that is what I've been hearing from a few guys I work with too. Does Amsoil have their own friction modifier formula that meets Ford LS specs? I thought I read somewhere that Valvoline did...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks RLDSL, that is what I've been hearing from a few guys I work with too. Does Amsoil have their own friction modifier formula that meets Ford LS specs? I thought I read somewhere that Valvoline did...

With the synthetic you generally don't need the LS additive. Amsoil does have an additive that exceeds all standards to use with standard oil and for some rare cases where some folks still experience a chatter with the synthetic that they don't want to listen to , but I have yet to have to use the stuff with the synthetic. Even with my fresh rebuilt LS it doesn't chatter even on tight turns without the additive ( before I rebuilt teh thing I was running it on regular oil and even with worn out clutches it would make a racket without the additive)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I guess the next question is how much does it hold? I'm being lazy instead of researching.;Really

Tom

The 10.25 rear if that's what you have , is 7.4 pints, I don't know what front axle you've got so I can't tell without knowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle