Low oil pressure after overhaul?

siegler

Reaction score
I just got my '91 on the road after converting it do diesel from gas. While I had the engine out I replaced the cam bearings, rod bearings, main bearings and rings (turbo, torque cam and studs were added at the same time.)
I'm getting 10-15psi at warm idle (which is fine from what I could find.)
But at 2000-3000 rpm I'm only getting about 25psi, and doesn't really go any higher at governor. Is that way too low?
Measurements were taken at the turbo oil inlet with an electronic gauge and confirmed with a mechanical one in the same spot.

I checked the regulator through the oil filter mount and in appears to be closed, but it's hard to tell. The regulator body rotates and moves back and forth in its hole, the one in the old cooler end does not (I kept the broken part for some reason....) The history of the cooler is not known. It's a craigslist buy after I broke the rear cap trying to disassemble the cooler for reseal.

Anything I'm missing? Should I just pull the cooler and try replacing the regulator with the one from the broken cooler end?

You must be registered for see images attach

siegler

Reaction score
I plastigauged them when installed, none were over 0.003" from what I remember. I can get the paper I wrote all my numbers on after measuring the crank with a micrometer tomorrow.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my '91 on the road after converting it do diesel from gas. While I had the engine out I replaced the cam bearings, rod bearings, main bearings and rings (turbo, torque cam and studs were added at the same time.)
I'm getting 10-15psi at warm idle (which is fine from what I could find.)
But at 2000-3000 rpm I'm only getting about 25psi, and doesn't really go any higher at governor. Is that way too low?
Measurements were taken at the turbo oil inlet with an electronic gauge and confirmed with a mechanical one in the same spot.

I checked the regulator through the oil filter mount and in appears to be closed, but it's hard to tell. The regulator body rotates and moves back and forth in its hole, the one in the old cooler end does not (I kept the broken part for some reason....) The history of the cooler is not known. It's a craigslist buy after I broke the rear cap trying to disassemble the cooler for reseal.

Anything I'm missing? Should I just pull the cooler and try replacing the regulator with the one from the broken cooler end?

You cant see the regulator being open you have to feel it with a pick, if you feel around with a pick itll make sense if its open. Heres some good info on it

http://diezelcrazeesidipage.homestead.com/oilregulatingvalve1.html

siegler

Reaction score
I did feel around, but didn't catch anything. Could still be stuck open, but not far enough to catch a pick on?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought mine was stuck open i see as low as 5psi hot idle, but i see 26-28psi cruising at 2000rpm coollant at 195-200f. I couldnt feel it open. And i am running a $140 autometer digital gauge so i have exact numbers. I had a glow shift before that was iffy when pressure got low. I am having a spare IDIT overhauled as we speak just to see if my oil pressure goes up. I have a spare oil cooler i'll swap too if the issues continue.

I added 2 quarts of lucas heavy oil stabilizer and that brought my hot idle up to 6psi and cruising to 30-32psi. It didnt really determine anything but makes me feel better having an oil that coats better. Maybe the strainer for the oil pump isnt sealed right? I am not sure how you could check for that though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil cooler header.
if the spring is bad it will do as you see, even at higher rpms.
same thing happened to me on my fresh rebuild.
my max bearing clearance was .002

i changed the header and now im reading 18 psi @ 190* @ idle

2500 rpms net me 60 ish PSI

siegler

Reaction score
If I could find a new header I might be tempted to take it apart to measure the spring length and compression rate so new ones could be sourced.....

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power stroke oil coolers are very similar aren't they? I wonder if the springs and valve would interchange? Doesn't anyone have pics of one being rebuilt?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got one thats apart, but wont be near it till tomorrow

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an idi cooler out of a truck I can pull regulator and measure if need be. Heres some pics I found. Looks similar maybe? The 6.0l glow plug harness fits this engine maybe something else will too haha

Attachments

• OIL COOLER OTHER VALVE 3.JPG
    OIL COOLER OTHER VALVE 3.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 14
  • OIL COOLER OTHER VALVE 2.JPG
    OIL COOLER OTHER VALVE 2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 13

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idi appears to be much shorter though maybe the spring could inter change?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online