Lori gets a Diesel!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Very cool Darrin.;Sweet

I tried to get Missy to get one instead of the huge Yokon Denali as I knew the fuel mileage in the big GMC would be worse than my IDI. I was right...... it averages only 13-13.5 mpg.:puke:

But, it will carry a lot of groceries, a 140lbs Great Dane, me, the wife, my daughter, and other crap all in one trip. Plus, Heidi likes watching "Yo Gabba Gabba" on the Denali's DVD player when we're on trips. That's a great way for her to tolerate being stuck in a car seat for hours on end.:D

Heath

That's the reason I bought the Explorer, hauls groceries,wife,kid, all that... "in one trip" so to speak. I can get around 18 MPG on the highway on a good day, averages 14 in town with a 4.0 V6 :eek:

Oh yea, and after 59k miles it needs ANOTHER transmission, and the rear end is completely shot! :puke: But, the kid likes riding in it.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the timing chain. Make sure you know the history of its last replacement because its failure can (probably would) take out the engine.

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Very quickly:

For TDI reference:
1998(9.5)-2003 - ALH motor, VE fueling system (rotary mechanical)
2004-2005 - BEW motor, PD fueling system (unit injectors)
2005.5-2006(7) - BRM motor, PD fueling system (unit injectors)
2009-2010 - CBEA motor, CR fueling system (Common Rail)

The 2001 you have does NOT require the hard to get motor oil. It's a 15w-40 full synthetic available at most parts shops...Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck and Rotella are just fine...many oil tests have been performed to back this claim. It's the 2004 and newer that have difficult to locate oil.

Coolant is specific to VW and the dealer should have this in stock as all their vehicles require this special coolant (it's called G12 or G12Plus). It has also been made available at Napa Auto Parts stores, as they now carry Pentosin, LiquiMoly, and Motul products (at least in my area they do).

Injection pumps are no more expensive than a Moose pump. Rebuilds are available depending on condition of core for $700-$1000. You have the automatic transmission, so you have a pump with 11mm plunger vs the 10mm plunger found in the manual transmission vehicles. It is perfectly acceptable to put the 11mm in a manual when the 10mm dies; this will provide a nice performance gain.

Timing belt failure will likely take out motor. COMPLETE parts kits are available for $300-$350 from numerous online retailers. Through the years the automatics started at a 40,000mi interval, slowly working their way up to 100,000 mile intervals with parts improvements/upgrades (bearing sizes). If you were to go to the dealer, they have been known to spec the kit based on your model year, so it's very likely they'll give you the older parts. Buy from a reputable online dealer. I can provide a list if desired.

Timing belt tools:
The only place to get them besides the dealer. This guy has top quality stuff, browse his site for other nifty tools... http://www.metalnerd.com/cat02.htm

***-Com is required for proper timing belt change. Do not get the ebay knockoffs, they often don't work out of the box. Spend the money to get the real deal...resale once you've moved past VWs is pretty good, so just get the genuine product. http://www.ross-tech.com/***-com/index.html The site can get confusing. Ask me for help if needed. Choice depends on how much forward compatability you want.

Fuel filters:
A new person has come along and made what appears to be a better alternative to the original CAT filter head design:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=262613
The original CAT filter head provider:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=234008&highlight=cat

More info if needed, got to get to work, just ask if any clarification is required.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the reason I bought the Explorer, hauls groceries,wife,kid, all that... "in one trip" so to speak. I can get around 18 MPG on the highway on a good day, averages 14 in town with a 4.0 V6 :eek:

Oh yea, and after 59k miles it needs ANOTHER transmission, and the rear end is completely shot! :puke: But, the kid likes riding in it.

That is why I bought the Excursion Diesel, I get similar, or slightly better mileage, and everyone has plenty of room (There are 7 in our family, and I have had 9 in there before...) and I can tow my TT with it..... I had a Durango and I would get 13 empty and 8 towing if I was lucky...... lots of fun when running with Trav in the Nanny Goat.... I gotta stop for gas again......

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and comments guys! She let me drive it tonight, that was nice of her.

I have a great mechanic at my shop, and he is very familiar with VW and Diesels so I will be in good hands. We already ran the Jetta through his shop, did a trans flush, checked everything out, brakes, suspension, shocks, fluids, should be good on the timing belt for anther 20K, Will need an oil change in another 1500 miles, so I will look into the correct oil for it.

The Jetta has 210K miles on it, and I have about have about $3,700.00 into it. The miles really don't scare me...:sly

I am gonna have to look into that, Do you have a link to the that forum or his info,..?

Hee Hee,.. Yup, so far our personal diesels include the New Jetta, Big Ed, and our little shop truck,..1982 VW Rabbit Pickup with a 1.9 AAZ IDI Turbo Diesel! so were good for now :D

When was teh last timming belt changed? you say its due at another 20K the belts should be changed at every 100K. Dont be cheep when doing it eater change all the pully's and tensioners as well. From all my years working at a VW dealer it was never the belt that failed it was always a tensioner... I was always able to source out the complete timming belt Kit for around 150. Even though it came from one of the aftermarket supplyers it was 100% VW parts when i asked the supplyer he said the volume they buy it was cheeper to buy from VW...LOL...
Also another thing to look for that was quite the problem for those years and probably has already been changed is the glow plug harness.. Look for a triangle on the rubber boots... If you don't see it do your self a favour and go get it and change it out you will have to do it eventually and the part is not to bad in price...

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
My wife had a Jetta TDI 06. We sold it a year ago with 60K for $14K. Great car and milage but I didn't like to go to Gainesville every time it need it something done (even an oil change) and nothing was cheap. We were very happy when a lady from Live Oak fell in love with the little car. It was great to drive it but it's a city car, the dirt road were too much for it.
Burt.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
WOW this thread got dug up,..I forgot about this one.

First of all I need to thank you guys for all of the input you posted 10 months ago that I read at the time and forgot to respond to,..So Thanks!!!

Couple of updates on the car,.. Lori loves it, she gets 37 to 38 MPG bombing around town and 45 on the highway. We have a nice set of Snow Tires and Rims for it, I installed a Garage Door Opener and moved the Jeep over to the nest stall so she actually gets to park it in the garage! I have a plug in timer for the block heater when needed so it is all set for the winter.

We had a scare a couple of months ago when the water pump let go and almost took out the timing belt. I tow dollied it to the Shop and Bob took care of it for us. New timing belt, water pump, and tensioner and we are good for another 100K miles.

The car had a glitch in the auto tranny since we bought it and it finally got bad enough where we have to get a new tranny. To make a very long, frustrating story short,..the second trans we are getting installing is a high performance, $4K built tranny with 2K miles on it. I paid $1700.00 shipped and It should be here and installed by the end of the week. Now that it will have a built performance tranny, I might be able to bomb the motor, just a little,..;Really

Once this trans is installed we hope to drive the car for another 200K miles.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score

First of all I need to thank you guys for all of the input you posted 10 months ago that I read at the time and forgot to respond to,..So Thanks!!!

Couple of updates on the car,.. Lori loves it, she gets 37 to 38 MPG bombing around town and 45 on the highway. We have a nice set of Snow Tires and Rims for it, I installed a Garage Door Opener and moved the Jeep over to the nest stall so she actually gets to park it in the garage! I have a plug in timer for the block heater when needed so it is all set for the winter.

We had a scare a couple of months ago when the water pump let go and almost took out the timing belt. I tow dollied it to the Shop and Bob took care of it for us. New timing belt, water pump, and tensioner and we are good for another 100K miles.

The car had a glitch in the auto tranny since we bought it and it finally got bad enough where we have to get a new tranny. To make a very long, frustrating story short,..the second trans we are getting installing is a high performance, $4K built tranny with 2K miles on it. I paid $1700.00 shipped and It should be here and installed by the end of the week. Now that it will have a built performance tranny, I might be able to bomb the motor, just a little,..;Really

Saw it on my phone today and laughed.LOL I do have a soft spot for the VW diesels, keep us posted on the motor bombing.;Really Good luck, Darrin.;Sweet

MMeier

Reaction score

What kind of converters do you run in a TDI ?:confused:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to go buy an older TDI. Would love to have the fuel mileage!
Makes two of us...and the prices are starting to come down. Before the '09 TDI's came out, even 2001 Jettas were selling for almost the same price as they sold new :shocked: When my current M-B dies, I think it's TDI time :angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.