Lori gets a Diesel!

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmmmmmmmm, jetta chic's.

99.9% of the time they are hot. at least that is the "check out the chic" rule on the freeway for us...................

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and comments guys! She let me drive it tonight, that was nice of her.

I have a great mechanic at my shop, and he is very familiar with VW and Diesels so I will be in good hands. We already ran the Jetta through his shop, did a trans flush, checked everything out, brakes, suspension, shocks, fluids, should be good on the timing belt for anther 20K, Will need an oil change in another 1500 miles, so I will look into the correct oil for it.

The Jetta has 210K miles on it, and I have about have about $3,700.00 into it. The miles really don't scare me...:sly

see that wonderful fuel filter assm on the right fender---theres a gent on the tdi forum--that sells a piece he makes--to mount a cat filter on---thats 2!! microns---absolute--the factory one--is right at 30 microns----huge diff---i use a fleetguard filter,cause the cat is twice the cost--fac filter is around 30 bones--flgrd is 8, and much finer---

I am gonna have to look into that, Do you have a link to the that forum or his info,..?

What's better than a diesel parked in your drive way? TWO!!!!! Ummm, three? Ok,

Hee Hee,.. Yup, so far our personal diesels include the New Jetta, Big Ed, and our little shop truck,..1982 VW Rabbit Pickup with a 1.9 AAZ IDI Turbo Diesel! so were good for now :D

FX4 Level2

NEEDS A DIESEL
Reaction score
hell thats a great find! awesome man! ive always wanted to rive one of those tdi's see how they scoot u know!

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
My buddies wife has an 04 just like that but silver for her DD. She loves it.
Their car has a couple elctrical gremlins (under dash relays that seem to click for no reason??), but they dont seem to effect how the car works.
We used to have a 2003 Turbo S 6spd Beetle in black. It was a fun little ride. But noisy, squeaky and quite troublesome. Biggest problem with ours was a timing belt failure 15,000 miles before the service interval (insert lots of choice words and $$$$$$ here). But your mechanic should know all about those kind of issues.
Good luck with it and be sure to give us a follow up report in a few months.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddies wife has an 04 just like that but silver for her DD. She loves it.
Their car has a couple elctrical gremlins (under dash relays that seem to click for no reason??), but they dont seem to effect how the car works.
We used to have a 2003 Turbo S 6spd Beetle in black. It was a fun little ride. But noisy, squeaky and quite troublesome. Biggest problem with ours was a timing belt failure 15,000 miles before the service interval (insert lots of choice words and $$$$$$ here). But your mechanic should know all about those kind of issues.
Good luck with it and be sure to give us a follow up report in a few months.

Yeah, my turn signal flasher clicks off and on alot when the signals are not on but at least it doesnt make the lights flash.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
very nice! i had as '03 Jetta GLS 5 speed..i loved it. we took it on our honeymoon road trip to the Rockies and back, 5500 miles in 11 days, much of it at 80-100+ mph, averaged 49 mpg for the trip.

if i could work from one i'd still have one.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my turn signal flasher clicks off and on alot when the signals are not on but at least it doesnt make the lights flash.

Replace the hazard switch.

Congrats on the VW I miss the hell out of my TDI :( :( :( Didn't realize how good I had it till it was gone. I've had a few dubs.
I have a ***-COM cable if you want it on the cheap PM me.

You must be registered for see images attach

winter mode

My 96 that I swapped a VR6 into

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I've been keeping a bit of any eye out for a smoking deal like that on my local CL. Don't really have the $ for it right this moment but would probably figure something out if I found one under $4k. I'd prefer the manual tranny too, Golf or Jetta, not a Beetle.

Congrats on the new ride!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice little car, but take care of that IP like it's the last one on earth, cause if you need one I can probably sell you a case of Moose Pumps for less! :eek:

LOL

02AutoWag

Reaction score
There's lots of info that's just not quite right (or info that needs more clarity) in this thread regarding the new TDI purchase. I'll be back to clear things up later.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice little car, but take care of that IP like it's the last one on earth, cause if you need one I can probably sell you a case of Moose Pumps for less! :eek:

LOL

I wish ours had IP's in them, everything after 04 went to the new style setup. So far, no poblem with the injection systems .

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool Darrin.;Sweet

I tried to get Missy to get one instead of the huge Yokon Denali as I knew the fuel mileage in the big GMC would be worse than my IDI. I was right...... it averages only 13-13.5 mpg.:puke:

But, it will carry a lot of groceries, a 140lbs Great Dane, me, the wife, my daughter, and other crap all in one trip. Plus, Heidi likes watching "Yo Gabba Gabba" on the Denali's DVD player when we're on trips. That's a great way for her to tolerate being stuck in a car seat for hours on end.:D

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The factory fill oil for those things in Pentosin, *most* dealers carry it( there are some dealers too stupid to follow instructions and they don't carry the proper lube to meet the spec. THe only lubes available in the US that meet the spec are Pentosin and Amsoil AFL European Car Formula 5w-40 ( and NO other amsoil lubes) THere are some serious internal compatibility issues with these engines, DO NOT use Rotella or anything else in it. In Europe there are a number of other lubes available, and some specialty shops have it here, but they are real rare, like Motul, Liqui-Moly, ( that place carries Pentosin as well ) and a few others

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online