Loosing power

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I half hate to even bring up this topic because I’m afraid of what the answer might be, but it’s getting to the point that I can’t really ignore it any longer.
Over the course of the last year, I’ve noticed that I’ve been loosing power out on the highway. The problem started last fall, and I thought that I had found the problem when I changed the fuel filter. I had lost LOTS of power at that point, but when I changed the filter, it all came back. The family camps in the summer about once a month. Typically we camp within an hour or two of home. The camper weighs 5K dry, and this spring I noticed that I wasn’t able to pull the camper up the hills as well as I had last year. The last trip took us through some of the more hilly parts of Indiana (yeah, we do have some decent hills in the southern part) and I had to be running almost 70 at the bottom of any hill in order to maintain any kind of speed going up. A few times I had to stop for a light, or to let someone turn right at the bottom of the hill, and 35mph in 3rd gear was about the best I could do on the way up. On a couple of the hills, that’s not actually that bad. On others, I’ve been able to continue accelerating in 4th gear in the past, but not this time. I now drive across these hills and the way too and from work, and I’ve noticed that the truck is starting to struggle going up them in 5th. 2 months ago I was able to accelerate all the way up the hills. I wasn’t accelerating quickly, but I was picking up speed none the less without having to drop a gear. The exhaust is putting out black smoke (not lots of it) when I go up the hills. I would say the amount of smoke is typical to where I have the throttle, but I’m just not getting as much power out of it as I was before. Like I’m not getting a complete burn, or there’s a lack of oxygen reaching the cylinder. I put a new air filter on a few weeks ago, but that hasn’t really made a difference. Didn’t figure it would, but it was 5 years old so it didn’t hurt anything. I’ve also noticed that the engine sometimes starts to stumble somewhere between 2600 and 3000 rpm. I don’t generally run it this high, but now that I’m playing around with it trying to diagnose a problem, I’m running it through the paces and this is one of the things that I noticed. Doesn’t happen all the time, but it does some time.
My thoughts at this point are that it could be one or more of the injectors, or it could be a valve that’s not sealing very well. I would think that if it were a valve, the engine would sound a LOT different and the truck would be stumbling all over itself a lot more often. Other than the occasional hiccup on the high end of the curve, the engine sounds okay to me. Both going down the road, and revving it in the drive way.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Maybe it's way more humid now? Did you change fuel filter again? Maybe your fuel tank is coming apart...

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did actually. I even pumped the fuel out of both tanks and refilled just to make sure I didn't have a bunch of junk in the bottom. I used a small gear pump to do this, and pumped it into some 5 gal cubies that I had. Nothing odd in the fuel. It is a LOT more humid (and warmer) this week than what it has been this summer, and I had wondered if that wasn't part of what I was seeing over the last couple of days. Other than that, it's been a nice cool summer so far. We've had humidity, but nothing out of the ordinary until this past week. So even if I neglect what I've seen over the last several days, I'm still down on power compaired to what I had last summer. I'm half tempted to get a set of rebuilt injectors and put them in just to see if that takes care of it, but I've not done that on my own before. I've done a return line kit, but I haven't personally pulled the injectors. I had new injectors and a new IP put in back in 2010 (almost 60K miles ago), but I had the work done at a shop as I didn't have the time, nor the equipment to adjust the timing when I was done. I would think they would all still be good, but maybe I coked up an injector or something???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well really depends where the pump and injectors came from.
I would get hold of a timing meter also.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IP was purchased from Uhaul back when they were liquidating their old spair parts inventory. The injectors were purchased from one of the reputable members on here who sells matched sets and I'm confident that they were good injectors. When I had the new ones installed, the truck had 180K on it, and I'm pretty sure that everything on the truck was stock from the factory at that point but I had/have no way to confirm that. Nothing under the hood looked like it had ever been touched and winter was coming, so I had the work done so that it wouldn't bite me at a time when I really needed the truck.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a new mechanical lift pump on last fall when I first started having a problem. I had previously replaced the fuel filter at the time, and didn't think that could be the issue. The new lift pump made no difference. After banging my head against the wall for a week or so, I changed the filter again and the problems went away. Maybe some bad fuel?

Keep in mind that any work I do is done in my driveway as that's the only place that I have available. I do have two work benches that I could make room on, but its about 200' from the driveway too the building that the work benches are in, and I would have half a day in getting one of them cleaned off.... LOL I've avoided getting any timing tools for the truck for multiple reasons. They are relatively expensive compaired to the number of times that I'm likely to use them, timing tools for this engine have become difficult to find, different makes operate on different principals and have different specs which aren't very clear. After reading Mel's tech artical on the correct process for removing and checking the injectors, I think I'm going to be better off taking the truck to a shop that can do the work. I'm comfortable with the process, but the lack of timing tools, and having to do everything on my own in the drive way has me leaning away from the project at this point. I will read it over again this weekend with the hood up and breather off and make a better decision.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be. Could even be a restriction further down the line.
Any chance you could video the higher rpm studder?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. Doesn't always do it. I keep thinking about the 2 filters that I put on last fall and keep wondering if that didn't take a toll on the injectors.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now usually, a mechanical (pump or injectors) problem should be fairly constant. Obviously not always, but usually.
So I would lean towards fuel delivery pre injection pump.
How does it start?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most shops don't have timing instruments, they just time them ear. Unless you know for sure they do. Over a period of time, the timing will change, especially after installing new/rebuilt ones. There is a listing of guys on here that have timing instruments that will time it for you, check it for maybe someone is close to you.

Timing list is at the top of the stickeys.

Last edited:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can plumb a cheap boost gauge into your fuel line right before the ip to keep an eye on the fuel pressure reaching the ip. If you have a restriction it will let you know.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do the fuel sending units have filters on them like my 2001 7.3?
i pulled my tank and there were 2 filters...CLOGGED with junk

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've dropped my tanks before, and no the sending units don't have filters on them.

As far as a restriction prior to the IP, there's not much there. Hard line from the IP to the filter housing, and then from the filter straight over to the IP. I've often thought about putting a gauge after the filter just to have a visual check on what kind of pressure I'm getting. I've always suspected that the pressure degrades gradually as the filter starts getting clogged so the gauge would give me a way to keep an eye on the filters condition. Basically give me a heads up so that I don't have to change it on the side of the road while I'm wearing a suit and tie, or while I'm trying to pull the camper somewhere. I've avoided it because I'm not certain what the fittings are on the filter housing. Maybe I should dig a little more into that idea just as a preventitive measure.

I agree that mechanical issues are usually pretty consistant. I should say that my high rpm hickups have only been happening the last 2 or 3 days and didn't start until after I started messing with stuff trying to diagnose the power loss. So there's a pretty good chance that this problem is self induced. Last time I noticed it was yesterday morning early on my drive to work. I did have the fuel filter off the night before. I've been intentionly shifting late and winding the truck out and the problem hasn't come back, so I'm going to write that one off for now.

Oh, and the truck starts great. Had a few issues when I first got it, but I got a return line kit and that took care of it. Only problems I've had since then were when the filter was bad. Back then the light on the dash worked, and I should have paid more attention to it... LOL I ended up having to change it out in the middle of a field in mid November. Not that big of a deal, but I didn't think back then to keep any kind of ATF or other fuel additive with me to use for prefilling the filter. Now I keep a quart of 50/50 mix ATF/K1 behind the seat. The K1 makes it thin enough to flow through the filter and fill the entire thing making that first start up very easy.

The loss of power is still there though. It is consistant and has been a gradual process. It drives okay, but she struggles just a little going up a steep hill in 5th gear, and she just doesn't seem to have as much grunt going through the gears as she used to. Not that noticable during my daily driving, but very noticable when I'm towing.

Thanks for the info on the guys with timing gear. I will take a look see. The shop that did my pump and injectors for me has a great reputation, but I'm not sure they have the equipement to do these old engines or not. I'll have to call them on it some time and if they do, maybe add them to the list. Either way, if there's someone close by, I would love to have the timing checked. Heck, if there's someone close buy and they want to make a little $$, I'd be glad to pay them to swap out the injectors if I get to that point. With the right tools, and having done it a few times, the process looks like it should only take a couple of hours. Then again, I haven't done it so I could be WAY off base...

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck on the timing. I'm in Indiana. West and kind of Southern at the moment. Live East of Terre Haute in the heart of Indiana's coal country and work west of Bloomington (think IU).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.