Looking for tailgate ideas

brinkmanj

Reaction score
I've been working on building a headache rack for my truck for the past couple evenings and its almost done. It looks like I will have some 2" square tube and expanded metal left over, which got me thinking about building a tailgate to replace mine which is shot. I've seen some square tube tailgates around town, but they are either fixed in place, or don't look like they work very smoothly. I believe I saw one on here awhile back that looked pretty nice (wmoguy I think it was?)

Anyway, I wanted to whip this up before I have to take the weld machine back to work so any photos or tips on latch design and overall structure would be much appreciated. Functionality & longevity are priority 1, looks are priority 2.

Thanks guys!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Mimic the stock gate as much as possible. Actually use the hinges and Latch form the original gate so it will work like normal

brinkmanj

Reaction score
Thanks Brad, thought about using the factory latch and hardware but wasn't sure what all was involved in that, haven't actually seen the inside of one. I'll dig into it when it stops raining.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this myself for awhile. This is what I have come up with so far in the design phase(no cutting or welding has happened yet)

High priorities for me are;

1. Weight. That stock tailgate on my 89 weighs twice as much as the one I had on my 80 and is a bear to lift on and off.
2. Vision. I can back and maneuver my trailer so much easier with the tailgate off, not blocking my vision. I know I can use my rearview mirrors, but it's so much easier just to turn around and look through the back window. That's why I take it off all the time.
3. Looks. My stock gate is tore up from use over the years.

To address #1, I have some thin gauge square tubing I was going to use for the outer frame. Using the stock latch system may be the easiest solution for that problem, but the gate frame will have to be designed in the beginning to accommodate the latches. A simple tab in the middle will mount the handle system, but I believe the square tubing on the outside frame will have to be modified and inset inward dramatically to mount the actual latches. This part is going to require more thinking.

Addressing #2 will also help #1. I want the middle as open as possible for vision and lightweight. But I don't want small stuff to fall through, and I also want the top of the gate when it's laying down open, to be smooth as possible. This is when you are dragging something off the bed, I don't want it to catch. I also load small tractors inside the bed with ramps. I have been thinking my best solution would be a combination of metal to fill in the middle. Two wide thin plates in the middle, setup to mimicking side by side mustang type stripes, and some sort of screen, wire mesh, expanded metal on the sides to fill in the rest. I can load and scoot stuff on the middle plates, and the side mesh will be thinner for vision and to keep small parts from falling out.

Above is subject to change of course.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Took these for the OP now.

I'm very pleased with how mine turned out. I specifically had it designed w/ a very low "V" as I didn't want to have to drop my tailgate to hook up to my 5th wheel w/ a gooseneck adapter and/or have to jack the front end up super high to get out from under it.

Only thing I'd do different (which I am now) is have the tail gate itself coated in bed liner. I had it painted in an auto paint and it's extremely slippery when wet.

* sorry for the crappy photos, photobucket is annoying me and I can't load them there for some reason.......:dunno

Attachments

• test11.jpg
    test11.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 22
  • test222.jpg
    test222.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 17

brinkmanj

Reaction score

I'm very pleased with how mine turned out. I specifically had it designed w/ a very low "V" as I didn't want to have to drop my tailgate to hook up to my 5th wheel w/ a gooseneck adapter and/or have to jack the front end up super high to get out from under it.

Only thing I'd do different (which I am now) is have the tail gate itself coated in bed liner. I had it painted in an auto paint and it's extremely slippery when wet.

* sorry for the crappy photos, photobucket is annoying me and I can't load them there for some reason.......:dunno

Ah... yours was the one I was thinking of, did you just pull the latch studs out of the bed and use those holes to catch your spring latches or is there more there than meets the eye?

I appreciate the photos and advice everyone.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Ah... yours was the one I was thinking of, did you just pull the latch studs out of the bed and use those holes to catch your spring latches or is there more there than meets the eye?

I appreciate the photos and advice everyone.

yea latch studs pulled. I re-used the tailgate cables as well for this tail gate. Love my tailgate; it's stronger than a stock tailgate (way stronger than the 5th wheel tailgates you can buy too) and it's super easy to lift and latch. I've not put my stock tailgate back on the pickup since this was made this summer and I haven't any plans to put it back on.

Visibility backwards whilst in the cab was great until I put the toolbox and fuel tank in the bed. Now I can't see squat so I just "sound drive" (drive until it sounds like you hit something :rotflmao)

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
yea latch studs pulled. I re-used the tailgate cables as well for this tail gate. Love my tailgate; it's stronger than a stock tailgate (way stronger than the 5th wheel tailgates you can buy too) and it's super easy to lift and latch. I've not put my stock tailgate back on the pickup since this was made this summer and I haven't any plans to put it back on.

Visibility backwards whilst in the cab was great until I put the toolbox and fuel tank in the bed. Now I can't see squat so I just "sound drive" (drive until it sounds like you hit something :rotflmao)

Actually, its driving like Hellen Keller.

Which 99% of the drivers around here are like. Seriously how do you rear end my truck, the top of the tailgate is above my head.

Have any more pics of your tailgate, specifically how it mounts to the lower portion of the bed? I'm curious as i need a new tailgate and i'd like to mount my spare 37" tire back there and have it swing like a TireGate but they are discontinued for our trucks.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I think I would use pipe that matches the acceptances of the factory gate, I got replacement plastic bushings from LMC Truck. Use these to size the pipe. I would match the top with the same pipe and use flat stock to connect the two. After that, it would be a personal preference as to how you want to fill it in. I am certain you could get the factory handle and latches to work for something really cool.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Actually, its driving like Hellen Keller.

Which 99% of the drivers around here are like. Seriously how do you rear end my truck, the top of the tailgate is above my head.

Have any more pics of your tailgate, specifically how it mounts to the lower portion of the bed? I'm curious as i need a new tailgate and i'd like to mount my spare 37" tire back there and have it swing like a TireGate but they are discontinued for our trucks.

I can take some for you tomorrow under daylight. Mine connects via the stock dog ears or whatever they are called (old man moment right now) :rotflmao

btw, anyone that wants one just like mine, my welder buddy that made mine is looking for work right now. Could probably get an identical gate for $350'ish from him.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score

Very nice.;Sweet I like the bed rails and anchor points as well:hail