Looking for some help

fullspool116

Reaction score
Hello, Let me start by saying im new here. I have been looking around here for a while but just recently became a member. I drive a 92 7.3 f350 with the banks sidewinder and had some questions. I have owned my truck for a while and have taught my self how to work on it.

My first question is how do i know if i need to advance my IP timing? The truck runs good but i feel like its slugish. I recently discovered that my CDR is stuck shut so i think im going to bypass it and go to a RDT, is this a good or bad idea. The next is i was wondering if there are any upgraded turbines or compressor wheels for my turbo. I gess my all around question is there any way to tell if my truck is running as it should or am i missing out on potential power?

Thanks in advance

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general consensus is you need a timing meter. These things are so touchy, it doesn't take much to get them off. And by the time you figure out your timing is too advanced, you have burnt off all your glowplugs.

The only way I have heard that you can tell if you are in the ballpark is to manually activate the cold start solenoid on the injection pump. With the engine warmed up and running, if you put 12v on this terminal, you should get the "powerstroke rattle". If you seem to have this rattle all the time, you are too advanced. If you can't get it to rattle by activating the solenoid, you are too retarded. If you can get it to rattle at will, just by putting 12v on the wire, then you are in the ballpark.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The best way to answer your questions is to ask some. So how many miles are on the engine. how many miles on the injection pump or the injectors. We feel here that 125,000 miles more or less is the useable limit for injectors and injection pumps. some get more and many get less but the drop in mileage and performance is very graduale too. Please read the Hall of shame forum before ordering parts from ebay. Those listed in the shame forum are not a company you want to buy from. This forum can suggest many good companies to buy parts from too. This sites experience from around the world is known for honest answers.

fullspool116

Reaction score
I have owned the truck for about 2 years. I have a folder of recipts of work done to the truck before i owned it. I know the motor is a jasper reman installed in 01 but other than that i have no idea of the miles on the injectiors or IP.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what do you know, another KS member!

Where in KS are you located? I'm central-ish.

My recommendation would be to go through and re-work IP and injectors. That way, you know where you are and can rule that out of the equation. Diesel Control Technicians in Hutchinson is where I had mine gone over. So far I'm quite happy with their work.
JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle