Look what I get to do for my B-Day

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[the tuna can crankcase vent should go/QUOTE]

I would leave it on there, just clean it with brake cleaner, if you can blow thru it from the intake horn side it's shot.

Next is this sensor. I really don't know what its for but I am guessing its a temp sensor for the GP's. It looks to me like there was 2 tabs for spade connectors to hook to. Problem is that the there is two wires in the harness and both are bare wire. One has a trashed spade connector and the other was hooked to the sensor. There was so much gunk on and around it I can't say if the other wire was hooked up or not. If I need a new sensor, now is the time to do it since the thermostat housing is off and the alt bracket is out of the way. Any insite on this would be much appericated, I am trying to get it up and running so that I can take it and get my inspection on it tomorrow.

That is the sensor to energize the C156 Cold idle solenoid also the cold advance solenoid on the IP. The connector is broke and they put quick connect terminals on the wires, both wires should connect to it. When the head gets to 120 degrees that sensor opens up, de-energizes C156 and cold advance..

The tach sensor wire connector should plug into another connector on your right side looking rear, you need it if you have an E4OD tranny.

You must be registered for see images

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You Sir,

This would explain why there is no cold advance. I will try and get one tomorrow and see what happens.

On the fuel line from the lift pump to the filter, what is the piece in the line thats about twice the size of the line and has a wire running to it?

I will try and locate the tach sensor in the AM. I'm sure I tucked it out of the way and just can't see it right off. Good thing its not a snake.

If the CDR is bad, is that a dealer item or is it online only? I won't ask again since I ask in another thread about the grommet.

Again,
Thank You for helping the new guy out! This forum is Fantastic, and I plan to keep up with things here as I learn something every time I check the new post.

If any of ya are near KC, look me up and have a little home smoked meat, thats my other hobby.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I think the CDR is dealer/computer item only (no Napa or Autozone) but I could be wrong. Your tach lead is in the bundle of wires on the driver's side fender. There should be the matching connector on there and probably has a fairly long lead since it goes to the harness coming from the firewall. Do you have a tach on yours?

The fat piece of pipe on the inlet line is a heater. Not sure how well they work or for how long they worked. I do not have one on mine (new line). I have a 4 spd and run the fuel line through the tranny cooler to heat it up to keep it from advancing/retarding the pump during different times of the year.

SWS

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm stumped !!

I blew thru the old regulator with no resistance at all.:eek:. Called ford and they had one for 62 and change. The gromets were seperate and both had to be ordered in. 3 and 8 bucks for the gromets.

Not to bad of a deal, those three and the thermostat for just over 100.

Here is where I got the funny looks. Right there at the parts counter I proceeded to attempt to blow thru the new regulator.....No problem.....air went right thru. I got several funny looks as well.

So I ask if I can look at the other one they have in stock. Same deal, no problem blowing thru in either direction.

Just to make sure I am understanding things correct.

The CDR is basically a PCV valve.
Its spring loaded open, and when there is high vacuum the spring compresses to no longer allow the pressure into the intake area.
Am I even close here?

So if this is the case, where does all the crank case pressure go while the regulator is closed and the motor is making the most case pressure,(from blow-by).

I just want to be able to understand whats going on here vs someone just telling me it works.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but when I was asking the same questions about the cdr a couple of years ago, I was told that there was only about one pound of pressure on the cdr spring, so it should be easy enough to blow through. I honestly never tried giving it mouth-to-mouth though.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got everything back together tonight.

I went ahead and did the thermo and the lift pump. Both were cheep, and I needed it up and running asap. I may go with the elec fuel pump at a later date.

Valve cover gaskets and replaced the CDR, just waiting on new grommets.

I cranked it two cycles with the IP unhooked, tightened the lines and hit it the third time and it started and ran. I didn't get to bring it up to temp since all I had was 2 gal of antifreeze. Have to grab more tomorrow.

Next up will have to be a search for GP issues, there working but I am getting smoke from the controller. I sure hope its just all the dust and dirt.

I'll have to listen to my phone vid of the motor running and see if its even listenable before I post it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Just click the pic and it will play the vid in a new window.
Not the greatest but its all I had at the time.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I think I have the grommets you need at the house...well the one for the valley pan anyway. I will look when I get home but I can bring it by tomorrow if you want. BTW, did you find the tach lead?

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online