locked up or broke starter

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys.... my truck has a new problem, today i woke up went to start the truck made a quarter of a start then it made a loud chuuaa noise:dunno and wont turn over at all cookoo the starter seems like its trying to turn voltage is 12.8 as soon as the rain stops ima try and turn the crank and body no the nut size

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It's like 15/16". Good luck to you. Looking at the weather you southern Texans will get some rain for a while

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like rainwater got past the cowl seal and collected on top of the air filter housing. Then if the rubber washer is missing under the wing nut you have water flooding a cylinder or two. The crank bolt is 15/16 just like posted above. If the motor wont turn thru by a breaker bar just remove the glow plugs and then hand crank it thru. When you get the motor to make a full turn jumper the fender solenoid but only crank it as small as a turn as you can till it pushes out the rest of the water. Be careful cause the water coming out of the glow plug holes will tear you a new you know what. It hard and being pumped out in a hurry... Wear some face protection. Reinstall the glow plugs and start it up. It will run ruff but will smooth out when the residual water is gone. Hopefully you didn't bend a rod but you did post the motor made a very small amount of rotation before it locked up... Best of luck and post back how things work out. I don't think you will have any cylinder rust or damage...

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like rainwater got past the cowl seal and collected on top of the air filter housing. Then if the rubber washer is missing under the wing nut you have water flooding a cylinder or two. The crank bolt is 15/16 just like posted above. If the motor wont turn thru by a breaker bar just remove the glow plugs and then hand crank it thru. When you get the motor to make a full turn jumper the fender solenoid but only crank it as small as a turn as you can till it pushes out the rest of the water. Be careful cause the water coming out of the glow plug holes will tear you a new you know what. It hard and being pumped out in a hurry... Wear some face protection. Reinstall the glow plugs and start it up. It will run ruff but will smooth out when the residual water is gone. Hopefully you didn't bend a rod but you did post the motor made a very small amount of rotation before it locked up... Best of luck and post back how things work out. I don't think you will have any cylinder rust or damage...

i bet water is the factor-cuss.... i reversed my truck in the drive way which is a 10% grade and come to think of it there was water on the soup bowl which is rigged with a bighonkin air filter and since you said that it makes me think thats my issue how do i remove the glow plugs

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a turbo GP removal is usually pretty easy, unclip the connectors, back them out with a 10mm deep well socket. A couple of them are under injector insulators and kind of a challenge to get at. A lot of folks have survived hydrolock with no noticeable damage. Be careful not to bust off tips, if they won't come out easily don't force them, post back here for advice. Usually that advice is fervent prayer and lots of penetrating oil. This issue is rare with 87 and later systems and rarer still if they use beru or some other high quality plug not Chumps or autolites.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score

should i be ok from rain getting in if i have the small square protector plate at the end of my cowl behind the grille?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK seems to be a big problem on N/A engines. I know there was supposed to be some fix for it...a low point/drain in the air intake but I can't remember who got them or why/when. It's a nauseating way to lose an engine I would think. Fortunately I've never had this problem and don't expect to now with my ATS turbo intake.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
no i just took mine to have it rebuilt today.....gonna cost 60 bucks but a new one my cost was 139.99 an ebay was only 108.49 so 60 was a deal i thought...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, count your blessings it isn't hydrolock. I agree with the last poster a rebuilt starter might be nice or if you have the skills to rebuild it yourself. $140 +core seems pretty standard for our starters.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok in my town the cheapest place was 185.00 for a rebuild and 225.00 for a new one....trying to get ahold of my buddy down at the junk yard pretty sure ill get the special

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's bull crap. I hope you don't need the truck for the holiday weekend though otherwise you'll pay accordingly.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a spare and could probably meet you in Houston to do a hand off. Bring the old one and I'll just have it overhauled by the shop that rebuilds the one on the buses.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your private message function isn't working. Hand off means meet me in Houston and I'll trade you a working starter for your non working one. I'll just give the dead on to the shop we used to overhaul the starters on the buses I work on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin