lmc headlight relay harness

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i bought one and now i need to know where to buy relays? if they cannot be obtained at a local auto parts store im going to convert over to the standard fog light ones.

so does anyone who has this kit know what relay it is?

or does anyone know where i can get a pigtail for the standard fog lamp relay? if you have a good one online can you link this? i have bought 2 already off amazon and they were junk 22ga wire is useless for headlights.

thank you

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Heya, Tom... I recently bought one of the kits... and it came with relays..... though for my E. Different part # for the relay between the E & F kits????? my kit is the same as the early F kit, FWIW.

Will grab the kit and look at the relay. LMC website gives no details about the relay..... stay tuned....

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i get home i can link you to a good pigtail. You can choose the wiring, iirc 16,14,12 gauges.. Beeen a while but ill find it. I think they did head light sockets too woth ceramic high heat bulb holders. Bright lights and good power can make the holders melt so ive heard

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your kit should have the relay inclusive.....if not they made a nasty mistake.

Check with them...

AL

Oh if you have the kit it should be inclusive of the connector too....can you post a pic of it??? it being the kit you have???

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya if the relay aint available in a parts store i wanna swap it out for somethign that is i dont want to wait on them for a relay. the relay wont cross reference over to a bwd number so out of luck there.
rck im waiting for that link lol

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sounds like you may go the pigtail route, but FYI, OK, here's what the relay looks like with the #47-3660 kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

The odd connection setup is part of the kit. Don't know if this is a common connector or not......

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not common and thats the same relay as in my kit

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i blew a relay my mistake but i want a new one and i dont want to wait if it comes up again im seeing what my cost from work is for the painless relays.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Go to parts Express and search relay, and get a WATERPROOF bosch type relay ( get a handful, they are cheap there ) and then get a couple of plug in pigtails. and crimp some male blade connectors to the wires, then PM me and I'll go don and check mine for proper wire connection. The relays LMC has are NOT waterproof and will rust in short order internally causing failure

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience no cheap aftermarket relay setup comes close to what Ford had to offer from the factory. In your place I'd stop wasting efforts on trying to figure out *** relays LMC used, and instead head for your local U-Pull-It salvage yard and look for a "whale"-body ('98-up) Crown Victoria - on the passenger-side inner fender behind the battery you should be able to find this critter:

Not all "whale" Crown Vics will have it, as IIRC it's part of the ABS system and a Crown Vic could be ordered w/o ABS, but it really shouldn't be hard to find a retired taxicab or police interceptor that has the box. And you want it because it contains two Bosch-style relays, one is your typical 40-amp relay with 14-awg power wires, but the other is a 70-amp beast with 12-awg wires and monster terminals for them. This is what said box looks like with cover removed (grey relay is the 70-amp one, and black is the regular 40-amp, both are the same size so that should give you an idea for dimensions of box itself):

The box is held to the car's inner fender with a metal bracket with two studs pressed in it, nuts for those are on the wheel side of the fender and take 11mm (7/16") socket - save the nuts and chop as much of the wiring coming out of the box as possible, this will make mounting the box in your truck very easy and tying it into your wiring as simple as butt-connecting it all. Heck one of the 40-amp relay wires, yellow w/ light blue tracer, has a nice weather-proof connector on it as it bridges the gap between the fender and the engine, so chop it right where it disappears into the engine harness and you get said connector to go with the box. The box cover actually has a foam seal on it, and if you dab some dielectric grease in the holes for the wiring terminals on the underside you end up with something that is essentially sealed against the elements (and apparently power steering fluid from a blown return hose, also pictured above, lol). The box pictured above is as mounted in my bricknose next to the cruise servo, sorry I don't have pictures of it in its stock location in the donor Crown Vic taxi cab but like I said it's behind the battery and near-impossible to miss. I've actually use those boxes for home-made headlight relay harnesses quite a few times, typically assigning the 40-amp relay to the low beams and the 70-amp one feeds the more powerful high beams.

If you have extra lights you just add another box and wire it accordingly, or, if you're very lucky, instead of the 2-relay box pictured above, your Crown Vic donor can provide you with this instead:

And inside we have these guys - three 40-amp relays, and again one 70-amp one for the Crown Vic ABS pump motor (or whatever):

Those boxes are kinda rare tho, I've only seen a few, and salvaged just the one pictured above - this one is again in my bricknose and it has the same benefits as the more common 2-relay box, just contains 2 more relays and thus saves you the hassle of mounting two of the regular boxes side by side if you don't need more than one 70-amp circuit.

Also, I've seen the 2-relay boxes on some OBS trucks equipped with factory tow package, but I think those contain two 40-amp relays, which is still plenty enough even for a pair of 120W Daylighters (and your factory lights are actually about half that in power even on high beams) - that box lives right next to the power distribution center on the driver side inner fender, if you find one of those just use that instead of the Crown Vic box, it'll work just as good.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet didnt know that one which years did they come in?
i gotta run to the yard tomorrow maybe ill get o ne of those instead of going with painless.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC you're looking for a '98 and newer Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car. Relay box, if present, will be bolted on top of the passenger side inner fender, in close proximity to the batter yand IIRC also the power distribution center. Some cars have it, some don't, you may have to look around till you find one, but the box is generally quite easy to see thus making a quick work of inspecting every car in the junkyard. If you run out of '98-up cars to go through w/o finding a relay box, start looking at the mid-'90s cars, same models, same location - it's just been quite a while since I harvested a relay box, and my memory ain't exactly the greatest when it comes to model years, sorry about that.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks just wanted an idea for what to look for

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.shori.com.tw/product_detail.asp

Scroll down....click on "S11". This is not a source for the relay but it does show the internal wiring of the relay. Might be helpful if you modify the lighting harness.

A quick Goole search says it's a golf cart lighting relay. Apparently you are not the first person to look for the original relay.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner