Let's Talk Intercoolers

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mounting the IC.....its half the height of the PSD unit, but alot more installer/user friendly ;Sweet . I really like the fact that its mounting brackets are on the radiator support....ie. no frame mount or contact. Looks a wee bit thicker than the PSD unit. I'm hoping by one less item completely blocking the radiator, I will be able to keep the water temps reasonable while flying low through AZ and NM. :D

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
towcat said:
Mounting the IC.....its half the height of the PSD unit, but alot more installer/user friendly ;Sweet . I really like the fact that its mounting brackets are on the radiator support....ie. no frame mount or contact. Looks a wee bit thicker than the PSD unit. I'm hoping by one less item completely blocking the radiator, I will be able to keep the water temps reasonable while flying low through AZ and NM. :D[/QUOTE

I don't know why more peeps don't look at aftermarket gasser IC's. HKS and others make IC's that are prolly twice as efficient as anything Ford has ever offered. I'd imagine that the Hypermax IC is just that. Prolly just an off the shelf aftermarket IC, that meets the requirements of their turbo. Thus more efficient, thus smaller.

If you've gotta up the boost on your turbo, just to get over the pressure drop of the IC & plumbing. Your not making any more power, your just making more heat.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
I don't know why more peeps don't look at aftermarket gasser IC's. HKS and others make IC's that are prolly twice as efficient as anything Ford has ever offered. I'd imagine that the Hypermax IC is just that. Prolly just an off the shelf aftermarket IC, that meets the requirements of their turbo. Thus more efficient, thus smaller.

If you've gotta up the boost on your turbo, just to get over the pressure drop of the IC & plumbing. Your not making any more power, your just making more heat.

I'm getting lazy in my old age :D I could have went the PSD intercooler route, but I opted for the ATS kit since the turbo is already ATS. I used to run Buick GN's so yes, I am familiar with aftermarket intercoolers. heck, if this one can't do what I am looking for, I have the plumbing at least to run a different unit.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
..I don't know why more peeps don't look at aftermarket gasser IC's. HKS and others make IC's that are prolly twice as efficient as anything Ford has ever offered. I'd imagine that the Hypermax IC is just that. Prolly just an off the shelf aftermarket IC, that meets the requirements of their turbo. Thus more efficient, thus smaller..

The more I study this whole deal, this is the way I'm leaning. Phase one of my project is almost complete (Fab up intake hat). I'm about to dive into phase 2 (decide on, purchase, and mount intercooler)

I figure I'm about 2-3 weeks from the first pictures rolling out. Then I'll be ready for phase 3. (plumbing, plumbing, plumbing)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
Just re-read your last part of your comment. Pressure drop occurs when "too large" of an intercooler is used and to a lesser degree, the length of plumbing from the turbo to the intake. A smaller intercooler will keep the pressure drop down, but there will come a point where the IC has already soaked up enough heat and it can't get rid of it fast enough. There's a reason why ricers run large intercoolers, most races are run inn the 1/4 mile. they know the lag time and the length of heat soak the IC can handle. Bottom line is there's no free lunch when it comes to making power. I'm just rying to keep the trade-offs in check.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's some preliminary pics of the intercooler project. status of the project.....motor, trans set in and bolted down. body is reset onto the frame but held up by 4X4 blocks to hook up wiring and finish connecting stuff before setting down. most body electrical done. hard items such as steering, hydro, to be bolted in after blocks are pulled. Radiator support obviously still needs attention.

Attachments

• _icp006.z19012.jpg
    _icp006.z19012.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 500
  • _icp007.z19019.jpg
    _icp007.z19019.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 432
  • _icp009.z19026.jpg
    _icp009.z19026.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 376

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
here's some preliminary pics of the intercooler project. status of the project.....motor, trans set in and bolted down. body is reset onto the frame but held up by 4X4 blocks to hook up wiring and finish connecting stuff before setting down. most body electrical done. hard items such as steering, hydro, to be bolted in after blocks are pulled. Radiator support obviously still needs attention.

Calvin, that Blazer or whatever it is would hold more boxes, if you put the windows down. ;p

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey nice looking setup Towcat. Is the IC actually bolted in? Or just posing for the shot at this point?

I like how ATS plumbed their kit. Looks good.

Oh and one more question in the pic below:

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 604

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F350camper said:
Hey nice looking setup Towcat. Is the IC actually bolted in? Or just posing for the shot at this point?

It was posing for the shot. The mounting brackets are bolted onto a VERY busy radiator support. I really don't like how Ford put together the nose on the '92-up. You take a hit on one side and the entire plastic subframe must be replaced. The "brick" nose is a tad homely, but very user friendly. Anyhow, back to the IC setup. Overall, very well engineered. No frame mounting most of it "free floats" and quite simple to put together. Down side, COST. That was $1k for what you see there. Also, if you don't have a serpentine setup, it won't work since the upper tubes have mounting tabs localted for the serp setup.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F350camper said:

Here are the pics with the IC getting mounted on the rad support and the finished item. Also, this is the same kit the baby darkside boys are getting for their trucks, the only difference is the intake "bell". I removed the air filter box so the pic can be taken.

Attachments

• _FORD0004.z19769.jpg
    _FORD0004.z19769.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 281
  • _FORD0005.z19773.jpg
    _FORD0005.z19773.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 261
  • _FORD0007.z19782.jpg
    _FORD0007.z19782.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 328
  • _FORD0001.z19759.jpg
    _FORD0001.z19759.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 402
  • _FORD0003.z19765.jpg
    _FORD0003.z19765.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Nice pics. Thats gonna be a great setup. I cant wait to get mine put together. The intake "hat?" is pretty wild. Gets things up and out of the way in a hury.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob-
overall I would give the kit a 9(scale of 1-10,1-worst 10-best) for the simplicity of the design and layout. One of my biggest concerns is the ability to perform "field fixes" on the side of a highway. This kit definitely stays out of the way on most of the items. i was quite suprised on how few parts were required to put it all together. What I don't like are the instructions. It flat-out sucks the root. I've waded through some pretty complex items before but what was supplied in the kit is ridiculous. suggestion, burn the instructions. It will only confuse you unecessarially(sp). Also the lower bracket backing assy is just as stupid. All that item will achieve is poking a hole in the radiator later on down the road. One last item, and this applies for everyone who is wanting to play with the turbo(any make). Do not just loosen and rotate the compressor bell. there is a very thin O-ring that seals the compressor cartridge base to the compressor bell that can be easily torn. If you must re-clock the outlet, remove the bell all the way or you will have problems with grit getting in later on down the road.
junk brackets in pic below....

Attachments

• _FORD0009.z19787.jpg
    _FORD0009.z19787.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 418

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online