Let's Talk Intercoolers

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thought I would try to start up a discussion on intercoolers for the IDI. It seems to me that the intercoolers most often fitted to our trucks are the 99+ stroke models. So the question I have is, are these things just way bigger than we could possibly need? :confused:

Most of us wouldn't send more than 15psi to our power plants for any length of time. (heck I could prolly say 10psi LOL ) So assuming 3400 rpm, at 15psi of boost (man that sounds like Travis) I come up with a flow requirement just south of 900cfm. I wonder if a smaller intercooler with a core of say 24x12x3, and a flow rating of around 1000 cfm would be a better fit for our setups. Easier to fit, hookup, and perhaps and all around better match?

Anyhow, I'm hoping for someone that knows a whole lot more about this to chime in. :thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot more about intercooler size on our trucks, but I am looking into doing the same on my truck. I have a wastegated ATS on the '92 and I called ATS to see if they have a kit. they do. The intercooler is not very impressive looking sizewise, but as you pointed out, our turbos don't put out much boost in comparison to the PSD or Cummins. One thing I do know is if you go too large on the intercooler, you will have a nasty lag time on the turbo. Besides, the radiator is going to have enough trouble in cooling since the AC condensor and intercooler will be in front of it. If you are going to run the PSD intercooler, PM "Huff" over at TDS, he knows a couple of guys who have done the add-on and he said the homebuilt is quite a bit cheaper compared to the kits.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I'm considering an IC along with the turbo addition to my truck. I'm checking into the advantages/disadvantages now. Hypermax claims up to 200º reduction in compressor discharge air temp. Worried about turbo lag and further boost restrictions that may come along with the IC. Don't have the answers yet.

Don

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
I'm considering an IC along with the turbo addition to my truck. I'm checking into the advantages/disadvantages now. Hypermax claims up to 200º reduction in compressor discharge air temp. Worried about turbo lag and further boost restrictions that may come along with the IC. Don't have the answers yet.

Don

I know this is not a Ford but on the Nanny Goat (which has an IC stock) I did a little test on the IC function not long after I purchased her. I ran her pretty hard for a little bit then quickly came to a halt - jumped out and felt the IC ends. The input side was warm slash borderline hot, while the other side (output) felt like the fender. Now it was cool the day of the scientific testing (did this test last fall). ;p

This was back when was pushing over 35 lbs of boost (don't know how high acutally because the gauge was pegged) so after feeling her up so to speak I wished that I would have continued on with the IC project on The E... Heck it might have saved me from trashing the lower end and I would still be putz'n around in her today. Who knows... nah I still would have trashed the lower end I just would have pushed time back a little :angel: LOL

So I say boys strap 'em on because they can't do much other than help ya.... I have no idea on sizing but I bet that if you called a turbo shop or the like I bet they could tell you what size would work best (they probably have a neat little slide rule for just such questions).

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
argve said:
So I say boys strap 'em on because they can't do much other than help ya.... I have no idea on sizing but I bet that if you called a turbo shop or the like I bet they could tell you what size would work best (they probably have a neat little slide rule for just such questions).

I guess when I think of disadvantages, I'm thinking that possibly the IDI turbo may not produce enuf boost to efficiently use the IC. Am I way off base here? Is the IC advertising by company's like HM just hype to sell a product.

It's pretty well known that the fishing lure industry catches more fisherman with their ads than they do fish. LOL LOL

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say if you can cool the intake charge down 100*, that is a worthwhile gain for me. I think the Banks with a WG would be awesome with an IC, simply because I am making boost right away, and since there would be a little lag in the beginning I am think the IC/Banks would be sweet, if I had a little lag, it would more than make up for itself after the turbo gets spooled up and really starts making some boost. After the headstuds and gaskets are completed, I am going to really start on my intercooler project. I am pretty excited to get it done. I have had the IC for awhile now. I will definatley let you guys know how it works out. Scotty

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I’ll definitely be following your IC install Scotty. Depending on when you get started, I’m either right behind you, or way behind you. I’ve worked out most of the details, but I’m all over the place on deciding what intercooler I should tuck under there. I think the stroke IC is a good one, I’m just wondering if I should try a different one just to see if it does the job. That would open the door for other folks if it works out. If not, then I can always put a stroke one in myself.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Miller did an excellent post on his IC install on a 90' IDI. You'll find it Here .

On edit: Crap! Forgot that damn TDS off site linking problem. You'll have to find it yourselves under Contents and then tips and tricks for 6.9 and 7.3. It's the Hypermax intercooler install article.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I'm going with Hypermax IC when I install their turbo. From reports I get their is no significant lag associated with their IC. Also their kit is designed for our trucks and of course their turbo setup.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am way off base here guys, but think of it like this. Your N/A 7.3 requires the same number of CFM's as does the 7.3 PSD. Granted air is compressable and the PSD will run higher boost levels. The more compression the turbo creates the higher the heat of compression is also. But....... what I am getting at in a round about way here is that you have to be able to pass the same number of CFM through that IC as a PSD guy does.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Maybe I am way off base here guys, but think of it like this. Your N/A 7.3 requires the same number of CFM's as does the 7.3 PSD. Granted air is compressable and the PSD will run higher boost levels. The more compression the turbo creates the higher the heat of compression is also. But....... what I am getting at in a round about way here is that you have to be able to pass the same number of CFM through that IC as a PSD guy does.

Sorta, yeah, but not really....

With equal displacement and RPM, you flow the same CFM, but the -mass- of the air is 50% greater at 30psi boost than it is at 15psi. At equal temps, the 30psi flow will contain 50% more heat to be shed.

I would like to fab an air-to-water IC that sits right between the compressor and engine-intake; and plumb the -water- long distances, rather than the air. :D

If one has a place for a water tank, one might consider a fine-mist spray system in front of the various stacked radiators. Kind of a giant swamp-cooler effect...maybe have it kick in when a sensor on the IC radiator tells it that you're climbing that damn 5-mile 8% grade again... :mad: LOL

Richard

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well........$1300 later I get a box that contains an intercooler kit and a whole bunch of little rubber parts to "freshen up" the whole mess I got under the hood. All the CDR related rubber is oil swelled and I don't want to go back there for a long time. Boy do I have my work cut out for me. Reassemble drivetrain, reinstall the body.......this is going to be a long weekend.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how went the long weekend Towcat? Didja get it all done?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor and trans reassembled. Waiting on a couple of small turbo parts and then dropping the whole unit onto the frame. Body drop this coming week. IC fitment and plumbing routing to follow too. Hydro conversion and clutch pedal overhaul after body drop. Should be able to ignite this coming weekend. Fifth wheel and gooseneck install after ignition is done. By the time she hits the road, I will have touched darn near every nut and bolt on this truck. :mad: :mad: :mad: I still think its a good deal tho. Don't find too many CC dually ZF5's these days. :D If it was 4wd I would have been in heaven. ;Sweet

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like progress to me....all right!

yah, my friend Mike has an '86 dually 350 that's just been a -great- truck for him, and the only thing he really really wants to do is make it 4wd. Need to find a D60 he can afford tho... Maybe someone will want to trade one for this E4OD we've got... :D

It sounds like you are going to end up with one nice truck...