Lets talk hot rodding 101 everyone...theory and practical too

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the first weak point would be the head gaskets. The second weak point is the fuel output (or lack of).

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the first weak point would be the head gaskets. The second weak point is the fuel output (or lack of).

It would appear that fuel delivery issues can be addressed with special pumps...Moose and Ken's both can and are built with more fuel available for MO Power....

One thing I see as a "Choke" point is the stock injector lines, I am sure if I dug I could find a formula that would give flow volume/pressure/ID but I won't go there, I'll just say maybe it would be prudent to see if some larger ID steel tubing or SS tubing could be made into custom lines....anyone:confused: that would allow a greater fuel flow or less restriction and move the choke point to say...injectors? I don't know enough about the flow characteristics of either the HP injector hard lines or the injectors themselves.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Would it be worth strapping a block down on an old mill to hold the tap for the freeze plugs?

I realize you would still need a long bar to turn the tap, but would it work to align it?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Saw this in the latest issue of a diesel mag, not sure which one now off hand, and thought about them guys with freeze plug issues. Seems something simple enough to fab. Certainly something to consider IMHO, perhaps this coupled with a main girdle will help with "block flex" enough to make a really realible and higher hp IDI...?
http://www.enterpriseengine.com/display_part/125.php

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the freeze plugs could be a simple solution; has anyone ever heard of a stock one having any issues? I've heard of quite a few freeze plug problems, but only after someone had been messing with them. Just leave them as they are, and they seem to be fine.
Just remember that if you take a block to a machine shop the first thing they will do is knock out all of he freeze plugs / oil galley plugs and cam bearings before they hot tank it unless you specifically ask them not to remove the freeze plugs

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think im gonna be the test rat and try to have the block machined for a fire ring. because the precup is to hard to machine aparently?. but im hoping that will let me run high boost with 20to1 comp. to help the cold starts

I'm curious about your idea to do this? How are you going to account for the precup? Are you just going to try to find a fire ring that is bigger than both the cylinder and precup? Would it even work like that? I'm kinda dumb as far as stuff like that goes...

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I used to put O-rings in a engine, it takes a tool specifically for doing it, but you just machine a groove into the deck surface, then tap some stainless wire into the groove. The groove on the adjacent deck surface is just a receiver groove. All of them I ever did used copper head gaskets making them reusable. On a IDI, it is doable to the deck surfaces of the block only (with no receiver grooves), but I'm not sure what you would be able to do for head gaskets. Not having to machine the grooves in the head to line up with the ones in the block makes the job WAY easier, and possible on a milling machine (a BIG milling machine).
Here is the one I used to use. Notice the different options they list as far as types of o-ring material/head gasket combinations.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to modify existing gaskets to accept them or does it ruin the integrity of the gasket?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on that one; like I said, my experience is on engines that used copper gaskets and usually didn't even have coolant passages.
Try doing a google search on the O-ring process; I came up with all kinds of stuff, from the full on professional installs like I've seen to people taking strands out of electrical wiring and super gluing it to their stock head gaskets.
One thing I did see was guys having their block O-ringed (no receiver groove in the head), and using copper wire along with a stock head gasket. This may be the ticket. It might be worth contacting a few race engine builders and see what they have done in the past.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on that one; like I said, my experience is on engines that used copper gaskets and usually didn't even have coolant passages.
Try doing a google search on the O-ring process; I came up with all kinds of stuff, from the full on professional installs like I've seen to people taking strands out of electrical wiring and super gluing it to their stock head gaskets.
One thing I did see was guys having their block O-ringed (no receiver groove in the head), and using copper wire along with a stock head gasket. This may be the ticket. It might be worth contacting a few race engine builders and see what they have done in the past.

Ya I'll do some research. All that stuff sounds interesting for sure but I would really think the method I would want to do is to machine the block if it does indeed work. But I'm not sure what exactly will work. I will just have to see what I can find. But anyway that would be a while anyway. Its just interesting stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.