Let the ZF5 swap commence!

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted. I cleaned up the exhaust manifolds as best as I could. They are going to get painted this weekend. I made the custom flanges that will bolt the exhaust piping to the manifolds and I finally removed the driver side manifold from the truck.

ISPKI

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I drilled a 2.75in hole through a 5/8" plate i have laying around. Used a hole saw and mag drill.
Slipped a 2.75"od to 3" ID adapter in and welded it top and bottom
I bolted it to the manifold with 3/8" B7 studs and grade8 hardware, heating the adapter lip with a torch and cranked the bolts, flaring it around the manifold.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I fought with getting the zf5 and transfer case onto my lift for about 2 hrs but i finally got it on and strapped in. I need to shift the lift back further though because i was no where near center on the trans. I cut out the bends i would need for the 3in exhaust collectors from a PSD mbrp kit a guy had given me years ago. It has 1 90, 2 45s and a 30 in it, should be plenty. I also cut and welded my flanges to fit without touching the side of the trans bellhousing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've found that it's easier to remove and/or install with the transfer case not on the transmission. Not only is it less awkward, it's also not very hard to "bench press" the transfer case into place.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ISPKI

Reaction score

I ended up going with the VHT coating

ISPKI

Reaction score
Looks ok. I bolted the driver side on, armor coated B7 bolts, new gaskets, spray on copper sealant.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I fitted the 3in piping from the driver side manifold. Took alot of cutting but i think i finally have it. Pipe comes straight down from the manifold, does a 45 towards the rear, then a 90 to go under the transmission with about 1ft of straight pipe with a 45 at the end. Also mounted the passenger manifold.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Both manifolds are in and I am almost done welding up the 3inch Y-pipe. I cut the pipe starting with a dremel to scribe the cuts, then cutting through with a torch and cleaning it up with my angle grinder. Fairly happy with the results and fit up, although some of the joints are pretty loose. I almost finished all the final welds before calling it a night.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Little progress due to low temps out here in New England. Flywheel and clutch are torqued in, the LuK SMF is a bear to install solo.

I also primed the Y pipe that I finished welding the other day using 600 degree engine primer. They had old ford blue on sale so looks like my exaust will be blue

ISPKI

Reaction score
Finished all 9 coats of paint on the Y pipe, VHT 600 degree primer, old ford blue and clear coat, 3 coats each.

Mounted the clutch master cylinder and found that I drilled the transmission bellhousing bolts to .450" rather than .50", just finished reaming them out so the bolts will fit.

And finished off the night fighting with getting the new pedal assembly in the cab.

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel you with the transmission swap I'm doing one also but I'm not stoping with the trans....

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that pedal box is one of those processes of repeated twist, turn, contort, cuss, shove, squeeze, scratch head, rinse, repeat, until out of nowhere, it just sorta pops into position. Can't for the life of me figure out how to describe to someone how to do it easily.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Yeah, that pedal box is one of those processes of repeated twist, turn, contort, cuss, shove, squeeze, scratch head, rinse, repeat, until out of nowhere, it just sorta pops into position. Can't for the life of me figure out how to describe to someone how to do it easily.

Plenty of cursing going on with the swap thus far. I have the zf back up on the cradle after having it slide off onto me. I used two long bolts to align it up top but im having a helluva time getting the input shaft to line up properly.

ISPKI

Reaction score

Figured id post the finished product...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online