King pin or ball joint

KIDROG

Reaction score
So I have a 1994 f 350 4x4 crew cab. I have available to me a king pin axle out of a I think an 89 f350 gasser. What are the advantages or disadvantages of the ball joint vs king pin axles. I know the ball joint are easy to change compared to a king pin. King pin is not really a job anyone can do because of the tools needed. I'm just wondering if it is worth the trouble to change. It is the correct gear ratio and it's a free to me axle. Thanks in advance

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no reason to swap one for the other, unless your truck is built for serious off-road use. King pin knuckles are harder to damage/rip apart. On a truck that is street driven or only mildly wheeled on small-ish tires, the ball joint axle will most likely never let you down. Sell the KP axle to someone building a serious off-road rig.
Travis..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all choices being equal, I'd go for the kingpin axle. if the balljoint axle was '96/'97 with the sliding pin type brake calipers, it would then be the balljoint. rebuilding a kingpin 60 isn't hard at all, just time consuming, but luckily, you only have to do it once in a lifetime.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would take the axle anyway and maybe sell it, the knuckles on the king pin are not as strong as the ball joint knuckles, the king pin knuckles have been known to fail, myself have never seen one, only real disadvantage to the ball joint is a ball joint will wear faster than a king pin, i would keep the ball joint axle and im going to say the ball joint axle is stronger than the king pin axle as a whole, if you look at the king pin knuckles and the ball joint knuckles you will see a difference and the ball joint knuckle is noticeably more "beefy" thank the king pin, if you are off road allot might be better to have the king pin just in the case of a ball joint breaking, on the trail the king pin might be the more reliable axle, im sure its not easy to bend a knuckle on either axle

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kingpins are easier to replace than balljoints - ANYONE can do them. East Coast Gear Supply is where you want to get your rebuild parts, spend the $10 on the kingpin removal tool as well. It is basically a piece of hex bar that allows you to use a socket. Use a cutoff wheel and cut a small groove around the base of the kingpin (not into the C ) and it will spin right out.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-135511-dana-60-kingpin-rebuild-kit-706395-r.html

I just did a complete rebuild -
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as stated earlier, unless you are building an extreme crawler / off roader, you wont hurt a ball joint front end. they steer better and are easier to allign.

KIDROG

Reaction score
I was thinking it wouldnt be worth it for a street truck. I just wanted some of your opinions. thanks to all