KILL STORY of a diesel

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well this may put a lil dent in the diesel croud but o well. Today i was driving back from the Bloomsburg truck show with my buddys. Anyway my one friend has a Late 99 supercab, short bed, F350, 4:10s 38" tires ,auto,7.3 (250HP stock) TS chip(140HP), CAI and stacks. And my truck is a 96 F350 crewcab 460, 3:55s 35" tires 5 speed, Vortech Supercharger, Banks headers, BBK throttle body and 3" exhaust.

So we are driving east on 80, thru the hills. My buddy comes flying up from behind me(in a cloud of diesel smoke) . I know what he is after. I was doing approx 65-70. As he got next to me i droppped from 5th to 3rd. Got up to around 80 and dead even with him. Shifted to 4th and started to pull on him. Now mind you, this is up a grade around 5% where the diesel torque excells. I got it up to 95 when the speed limiter told me enough. but by that time i was 2 truck lengths ahead of him. I was quite surprised. His truck runs a 16.4 in the 1/4 dune to traction issues, i figured he would of had me. But My ol 460 showed who was boss.

Just figured you guys would like to hear the kill story of a diesel.

here is the pic of the two trucks
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Once you get a 460 wound up above about 2000 rpm it will pound a diesel, but the off idle torque needed for getting a load moving isn't there, that's where the diesel wins. They both have their strong and weak points, I love my IDI but would take a 460 over a 1st gen stroke, 2nd gen stroke isn't much better in my honest opinion.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you get a 460 wound up above about 2000 rpm it will pound a diesel, but the off idle torque needed for getting a load moving isn't there, that's where the diesel wins. They both have their strong and weak points, I love my IDI but would take a 460 over a 1st gen stroke, 2nd gen stroke isn't much better in my honest opinion.
FI 460's really benefited from the cam being re-degreed. In order to pass smog, the cams were retarded 4deg to lessen the NOX levels. Get yourself the big Moroso degree wheel and a extra cat. Re-degree the cam to zero and then advce it 4 deg. first thing that will happen when you run is the cat will commit suicide so when the next smog you have to do, you will need a new cat. The result is a feulie 460 that will run like a scalded dog and it will not trip the SEL. I have two repo f450's that are very quick rides from this very time consuming mod.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat:
I remember very well when the cam was re-degreed, can't remember what year that was. Been retired from LEP for 23 years now. Was Gen. Foreman of maint. on the 460 line for 20 yrs. iirc you can take a wider woodruff key and grind it offset to re-degree it. iirc the 460 was rated at 224 @2800, after the 4* change it is 178 @2800, Am I correct on that?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat:
I remember very well when the cam was re-degreed, can't remember what year that was. Been retired from LEP for 23 years now. Was Gen. Foreman of maint. on the 460 line for 20 yrs. iirc you can take a wider woodruff key and grind it offset to re-degree it. iirc the 460 was rated at 224 @2800, after the 4* change it is 178 @2800, Am I correct on that?
iirc it was in '72 or '73 when the NOX rules went into effect. There was guys who got around the smog issue by buying the earlier timing set on the carb motors and put it in on the later carb motor. there was a design change on the FI motor where you can no longer do that, so I started degreeing the motors with the wheel.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
FI 460's really benefited from the cam being re-degreed. In order to pass smog, the cams were retarded 4deg to lessen the NOX levels. Get yourself the big Moroso degree wheel and a extra cat. Re-degree the cam to zero and then advce it 4 deg. first thing that will happen when you run is the cat will commit suicide so when the next smog you have to do, you will need a new cat. The result is a feulie 460 that will run like a scalded dog and it will not trip the SEL. I have two repo f450's that are very quick rides from this very time consuming mod.

Would love to know how to do that. I need to pull my timing cover in order to put the s/c drain into it instead of the v/c. And i dont need a cat. My county does not have emmissions testing

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love that 90's CC!!!! AWESOME LOOKIN TRUCK! Cant say much for how mine is on looks but it kicks ass got a ticket doing 87 in 70! that was reduced!! lol. 94 Ford F150 300 I6 5 Speed.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Brad, If you want a wealth of information on 460's, go to the 460ford.com, or 429-460.com and join up. In the 8 months I've been a member (same user name) I've learned all I want to know (and more) about the two 460's we have. I personally like 460ford.com better because it's set up like this site, and I find it easier to use. the other one (429-460.com) is a different layout, and can be confusing as hell to navigate through.
Nice to hear about a 460 givin' a built diesel a run for it's money!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Hey Brad, If you want a wealth of information on 460's, go to the 460ford.com, or 429-460.com and join up. In the 8 months I've been a member (same user name) I've learned all I want to know (and more) about the two 460's we have. I personally like 460ford.com better because it's set up like this site, and I find it easier to use. the other one (429-460.com) is a different layout, and can be confusing as hell to navigate through.
Nice to hear about a 460 givin' a built diesel a run for it's money!

Yeah, I am over on 460ford as well. But thanks

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awww hell with the 460 fi give me a stock 360camper special and i will blow the doors off a supercharged 460 any day ,, the 360 rulled the world in power rpms and torque ,, plus they were almost indestructible...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Awww hell with the 460 fi give me a stock 360camper special and i will blow the doors off a supercharged 460 any day ,, the 360 rulled the world in power rpms and torque ,, plus they were almost indestructible...

Guess you have never been in a supercharged 460. Because i have been i plenty of 360 and 390 and my truck will kill em

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess you have never been in a supercharged 460. Because i have been i plenty of 360 and 390 and my truck will kill em

been in plenty and have had a few 460s but still think the 360 will whoop on a 460 and day now im not talkin about the newer 360 im talkin old 66 model y-block 360

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726