Keyless entry?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is optioned out fairly well. Has a lot of factory options.

Did any of these trucks come from the factory with keyless entry? If so, any idea on where to look for a keyless entry controller and how to program factory remotes to it?

I would love to have keyless entry now that I have fixed all my lock solenoid issues.

Thanks

Chris

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are aftermarket ones out there. A few years back I installed a Bulldog remote start on my Cherokee and it would operate the door locks also. Same thing with alarm systems I believe.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of those ebay kits installed on my 04 f150. It has served me well, but feels kind of cheap compared to an original equipment unit. The key fobs just seem cheap.

So, any way to tell if my truck had one originally, or was that even an option?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the solenoid route only when I upgrade mine. LMC makes a kit that keeps the entire truck looking factoury (No switches, etc.) it's just the two solenoids, and the wiring linking them. Basically it just controls the passenger door based on whatever the driver door is. I like the idea that I unlock my door, and both unlock, and vice-versa.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did some internet research, so it must be true, about this.

Says they did not put keyless entry in trucks until 1994. So, looks like I am adding an aftermarket brain.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well long as you have electric door locks, all you need is a kit.
Such as bulldog, viper, etc.
I believe you can transplant the system from a car. Marquis, crown Vic, town car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 was the first year for factory keyless entry. Mine has it, I ordered it. I have yet to see another IDI truck with it.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I had a Viper added to my Lexus. Our worked, but barely. Range was advertised as 1000 ft, but it rarely worked beyond 10 ft. The buttons are not the greatest. They require being pushed deep to do anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The bulldog I bought works from a ways. Buttons are nice. Has the display screen.
Also I mounted the temp sensor/antenna above my rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another one I remember seeing that was much simpler. I'll see if I can track it down.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a keyless entry system from a 96-2000 ford explorer. Only wiring I tapped into was the drivers door. I had it wired so when you unlocked the doors it did them all.

I need to work up a schematic. It was pretty simple though. Couple relays and the module from the ford explorer.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe it was in your build thread junk where i read about it being installed in the door. That is what I am wanting to do. I even grabbed the explorer stuff for when I do mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel