Keeping motivated

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$110,000 list new first owner paid $98,000 We did a rubber roof on a 28 ft back about 1998 it was $1500 for parts. Its not leaking but rubber is getting old. Okay I just thought I would through it out there.
I thought you meant new roof like you would go a house haha. Like tear it off and rebuild!
I need to rerubber (is that a word?!) the roof on this one. If it isn't a horrid job I'll talk to hubby about your friends.
Is it CDL required?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No CDL required for RV's. You DON'T even want to try putting a rubber roof on that slidein. You have no idea of what it takes to do that. I put one on just ONCE, and never did it again.

I sold the Newmar RV's way back in the early 90's. American Star and the Dutch Star. It was really tough times to sell any RV back then. I only did it for 3 yrs. Went to Jayco, Coachmen and Newmar and watched the RV's being built, by far Newmar was the best. They had more people building them and less product per day. When Dutchman started to build JUNK and undersold sold them, that put the RV industry in an uproar. That's when Newmar started to make the Dutch Star to compete, but they where much better than Dutchman. Now Dutch Star is Newmar's top of the line, it took the place of Newmar's Londonaire. Dutchman was bought out by Thor Industries that makes the Airstream RV's, they up the quality of the Dutchman considerably.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I though the class A buses needed a CDL? Either way we just want something that isn't a pain in the butt to drive down to mother in law's but then drive to dinner if we need to. I don't want to tow anything. But we have not begun our research for this yet, and my husband will research it to death haha.

I worked for a Chevy dealer and something that upset me was their conversion vans. The companies that did the conversions would "go out of business" every few years, leaving no one to warranty the conversion items. They were garbage. I felt so bad for the customers.

Maybe rubber was wrong term. The roof on mine is this thick snot stuff. The previous owner gave me a can but now can't find it at my dad's house. (He's a hoarder, so at least I know it hasn't been thrown away haha).

So far no roof leaks, but Murphy is never far away.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your or his research, look at a 5th wheel up to a 28 Ft real hard. With your truck, that would be ideal. Hookup and Go, drop it off and you have a vehicle to go any place.

Motor Homes: Break down camp to go any place if needed, unless you tow a car.

Slidein's: Well you know what you have to contend with.

Travel trailers: OK, but a lot harder to tow than a 5er, hitch setup has to be just right or there susceptible to sway or hi side winds. Look on utube for some examples. Dual rear wheels lessens that, single rear wheels increase's that chance.

5TH Wheel: You can swerve and never or almost never loose control. It's amazing how you can swerve back and forth and not loose control.
People can even ride in the 5er when traveling as long as you have communication between 5er and truck, in most States.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Only real downside I've experienced with a 5'er has been turning radius while backing up. That and turn around space at home, but those are really small prices to pay. Ours had no A/C and I still need to cut the rubber roof that was installed before we bought it to install the 3 vents/fans. We basically use it to haul all the equipment (field glamping) and to sleep and change in. Any other time we are outside. I just wish it still had the awning on it.

gandalf

Reaction score
...my husband will research it to death haha.

Maybe rubber was wrong term. The roof on mine is this thick snot stuff. The previous owner gave me a can but now can't find it at my dad's house. (He's a hoarder, so at least I know it hasn't been thrown away haha).

So far no roof leaks, but Murphy is never far away.

Research it to death. Yes, those phD people are all the same. My daughter will frequently do that. It can drive the rest of us crazy.

Rubber may be the wrong term. Roofing is not what immediately comes to mind. Then again, what you want is "safe roof" with no leaks. Maybe it's not such a wrong term after all. That roofing stuff is truly a form of gorilla snot. You can buy it at about any good RV store. Read the directions carefully. I'm sure you will need to clean the existing roof well, maybe remove any existing coating. Longevity is a direct result/correlation with proper preparation. ALWAYS remember the Principle of the Seven P's.

And always remember, Murphy is lurking somewhere near. Hang some garlic around your neck and throw some salt over your left shoulder.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to learn to drive a 5th vs a regular trailer?
Backwards I mean.
I have no ego. I would just practice in parking lots at night til security boots me haha.

But I feel not good about us being in the trailer while driving. The kids are so small.

Ugh. I'll save this thought for next summer haha.

Anyway today going to drive the heck out of the truck and see what issues she presents me.

Still need to do my fluids and wiper blades

Better yet, fluids then driving

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I love my 5th wheel vs a bumper pull. My driveway is very tight up against the house even though I am on 3 acres. I borrowed my sisters 18 ft pull behind camper before. It is almost the exact same overall length as my 27.5 ft 5th wheel. I can just squeak by my house by inches every time until I build another driveway.

They handle better and don't boss around the truck as much as a bumper pull. Like I mentioned they take advantage of space above your truck so you are shorter overall helping navigate tighter areas better. I personally like the way they back up to. You can go a lot further before they jack knife on you.

I personally don't want to go back to a bumper pull again. Just my opinion with the few campers I have towed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Backing them up is just trial and error. I learned to back "bumper pull" trailers like a boss, then put a hitch on the front of the gas truck to move short trailers easier. A 5'er or gooseneck follows about the same principles as any trailer. Shorter trailers respond quicker and can take some finesse. Longer trailers take longer to respond and are more difficult to see around and you just have to watch your front end a little more. Longer trailers take a little more exaggerated tow vehicle movements to get them in tight spots, but straight aways are pretty easy. Biggest problem there is finding the space to get turned around. I like how the 5'ers tow better with a heavy load (front doors float as much).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Any update? Only a couple more weeks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got truck back with tie down installed.
Smelled fuel. Saw new tank wet! Going to drop it tonight. So frustrating!!
Belt squeaking again.
Lots of customer work and last week was a total waste due to medical stuff from one of us or another. Glad that is all over!

Getting anxious. Have to just make a list and keep at it.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

What's best way to extend this ground?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score

What's best way to extend this ground?

Cut it back to good wire and butt splice it. Get a piece of #10 stranded to extend it. Put a ring terminal on the end of your new wire.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, thank you!
Going to drive it around tonight. See how she rides!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Took off camper again after checking the turnbuckles with the new tie down system. My front turnbuckles are too long!! This is so frustrating.

Drove truck on her maiden voyage after sitting since September then having front end and fuel tank replaced.

Went to my parents' house and back, about a 12 mile round trip. Smelled diesel strong. Got home found this!!

Not sure if it is injector o ring or what. But other than that it rode so smooth!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online