Keeping motivated

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this isn't a cool build. Just hard to find time with working nights and being home with the kids during the day.

I didn't make it to last rally due to simple lack of maintenance and keeping up with repairs. That is a nightmare I'll never do again, breaking down alone with two kids in diapers hours from home!

Anyway, Blackie is finally getting attention.

Bought him used in 2011 and really haven't done anything to him yet. A member here did my return lines and timed it.

List of to dos before the rally in July

Tie rods
Ball joints
Steering box
Find other p/s leak
Swap wheels from other centurion
Fuel tank
Fuel lines
Find additional fuel leaks
Rear service
Oil change
Wipers
Fuel filter
Remove running boards
Replace burnt bulbs on truck camper
Install back up camera

Last week got tank out. Discovered my main fuel leak but also discovered I got the wrong tank! Correct tank should be here Monday. Leak was the collar rotted off the sender.

Replaced rotted fuel lines

Tonight put ball joints in on left side and installed box. Rain started before I could attack link and shaft.

I removed the annoying unsafe rattly running boards
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is it before

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like the miniductor?

I find torch works...but damn....woulda ran that today...around leaking fuel tank instead of torch.:rotflmao

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Had to look it up. That's pretty cool.
Pretty good list too. At least nothing too major.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to look it up. That's pretty cool.
Pretty good list too. At least nothing too major.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I about spit out my drink when I saw the price, but then I'm so poor I can't afford to pay attention! I've made my own induction coils before. Think I'll hunt down a 24v power supply and build one again. Not terribly hard to do really, the circuit is fairly simple, may have the bits and pieces floating around here to do it, else just hit up Mouser or Digikey.

Or *shudder* RadioShack.....

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Danielle, I just started a thread on some upgrades myself. It's no fun letting all these little things add up. Good luck, can't wait to see you guys at the rally.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a horrific accident way back in school in welding class. I've always been nervous around torches.

My shop was at a gas station and we weren't supposed to have torches so I bought the mini. We used it for same applications as an oxy acetylene torch.

Then when they never gave me anything in writing I got a torch haha.

I put the coil around the spindle and the ball joint fell right out. It was later at night and didn't want to use a hammer.

I missed this thing haha. Awesome investment. Gets metal red hot for sure.

Thank you guys for the encouragement! That's why I figured I'd have a diary here and keep it moving!

I really love these trucks. Blackie starts up no matter what (except that one time haha) even if I neglected it for months.

I'm so excited about the rally!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a horrific accident way back in school in welding class. I've always been nervous around torches.

My shop was at a gas station and we weren't supposed to have torches so I bought the mini. We used it for same applications as an oxy acetylene torch.

Then when they never gave me anything in writing I got a torch haha.

I put the coil around the spindle and the ball joint fell right out. It was later at night and didn't want to use a hammer.

I missed this thing haha. Awesome investment. Gets metal red hot for sure.

Thank you guys for the encouragement! That's why I figured I'd have a diary here and keep it moving!

I really love these trucks. Blackie starts up no matter what (except that one time haha) even if I neglected it for months.

I'm so excited about the rally!

Have used the ductor not mini...once get rich...the big kit is an investment...missed one hy that much...

Ya trucks eat time money and....

Looks like ya got a good grasp on whats going on and what to do.

Ya guys...that tool aint cheap but having used the big kit....its money well spent.

Hear ya Danielle on fire.....I have on occasion had some heat build up..:rotflmao unintentionally.

Today had water extinguisher under truck...cut bolts with torch...on skid plate...fuel everywehre under tank but eh...gotta do it...squirt..done.

Mini ductor would have likey sufficed...

Good luck...thanks for sharing...and keep posting.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep working that list down, never seen an inductor used but have seen lots of adverts on them.
love your avatar!

I'm new here but enjoying myself already. wife warns me it might be my new home.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have never used one of those heaters to remove or install anything but... I like the idea. Back many years ago we had a huge machine shop that was the size of 2 football fields floor space. We had every way to heat up anything. What I liked the most was a magnetic bearing heater. You put a bearing on a square shaft. Set the shaft on 2 metal posts. Turn on the current and watch the bearing roll around the shaft heater up. This tool had many different size shafts too. It only took maybe 10 or 15 seconds to warm up a bearing to 250 degrees. We never heated them up higher tham that. The expansion was not that much more by going to 300 or 400 degrees and the higher temps would ruin the bearings.
Your list is sure getting smaller too. Enjoy the simple times. Sitting back around the rally campfire is a wonderful experience. I so enjoyed my rally of 2009.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 5 years front end is assembled! Ball joints, tie rods, steering box, tires! Just need to grease, bleed power steering, and send for alignment!

My brother is sanding down the camper to give it a coat of rustoleum and reseal all the windows and removed the 15 TV and radio antennae!

Right now going to go fight with the collar to get the new tank in so we can fire it up to bleed the power steering (just did the engine off bleed)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice progress, get those pre rally jitters knocked out early. I know what it is like working through the night for days before we head out. I think my poor wifey was more stressed than me seeing the truck in parts and a several hundred mile trip 2 days out! LOL sometimes she is a saint

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So uh... anyone know how to get a 25 inch fridge out of a 21 inch door?

DOH!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online