86 F250 with a 460 and granny tranny. Fun truck

Attachments

• 0130121503a.jpg
    0130121503a.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 116

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yep very fun truck...i loved the power of a big block when i had mine...i just hated the fuel mileage

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
yep very fun truck...i loved the power of a big block when i had mine...i just hated the fuel mileage

X2 on that! I had a '77 with the 460, loved that truck and hated to see it go, but I couldn't keep my foot outta it and thus it bled my wallet dry. :rolleyes:

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is tough to keep my foot out of the gas. Seems to be doing alright on mileage though.

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap clutch?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on clutches? Id like something that will hold up to some abuse, and be able to take some HP additions.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a problem. When i try to start it with the key, there is nothing. I can jump the solenoid from the battery to the small "S" terminal and it will crank. The red wire that goes on the S terminal is showing ~.4V when the key is turned. The lights dim a bit when i hit they key so it must be doing something. Couldn't find a neutral safety switch or a clutch switch either. All fuses are good. Did something short out?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Isn't the neutral safety switch on those basically a little button on the clutch pedal? I know there's a way to just bypass it altogether, but that means you could start it in gear, too. Maybe your ignition switch has gone bad, or moved just enough so it's not actually engaging the starter relay?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to have a switch on the clutch pedal. Before, it would start without it depressed anyway so i assume it has been removed. Its odd because the lights and heater will dim down when the key is turned. Just not enough juice going to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solenoid works when jumped with 12 volts to the small s terminal. I assume its good. I hooked up a toggle switch for now.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Solenoid works when jumped with 12 volts to the small s terminal. I assume its good. I hooked up a toggle switch for now.

Just thinking out loud... my '87 had a push button starter on it, and I hated it so I ran the wiring schematics and found out which wire coming from the ignition switch on the column actually excited the starter solenoid. I just cut it about 6" after the switch and ran a totally new wire, and it worked just fine after that. Maybe your wire is bad and grounding itself out somewhere?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably do that if i can figure out which wire it is under the dash. Thanks for the suggestion

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between a normal engine and the high altitude ones? The valve cover on mine is marked "4000+ ft"

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Considering it has an Edelbrock 600 i suppose that's irrelevant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin