Just left ATS

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
So I got off work a few hours early and decided to drop by ATS on my way home. Dude pretty much said that they are dropping their IDI line up. They will defiantly not be doing a turbo upgrade anymore. He said that there is a chance that they will keep going with there turbo kit, but its getting to be a 20 year old engine, and the tooling isn't worth it. I flat out asked if they were discontinuing all IDI stuff and he didn't say no, but the body language pretty much said that its done.
:eek:

PZ

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart business decision if you stop and think about it. And it's only going to get worse with all types of parts and other stuff for these engines.

Can you buy brand new fuel injection pumps for these things still, or are they all rebuilt now?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're all going to have to get really good at fabricating if we are serious about keeping these things on the road long term and want upgrades like turbos available.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once in a while I find new injection pumps but I never really shop for them... The Mose pump being the best rebuilt and modified pump is what most will be running sooner or later..... Banks is about 15 miles from me. I have done business with them for about 18 years now. Around 3 years ago They told me they were dropping the id and early chevy turbos due to business but... They are required to warranty anything you buy from them for 5 years...:dunno They never did drop the idi line... I bought a spare turbo anyway.... I'll not outlive those two setups. I even bought a spare GV... Business dictates whats going to be dropped or maintained. Its a sorry state too...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thank goodness there's Hypermax, the only company out there that has consistantly demonstrated that they are interested in supporting our engines with continuing developement of new products for our engines. That is the company WE should be supporting in kind.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness there's Hypermax, the only company out there that has consistantly demonstrated that they are interested in supporting our engines with continuing developement of new products for our engines. That is the company WE should be supporting in kind.
Maybe Hypermax will start offering a wastegated turbo kit someday? I've only heard good things about them, but that (plus not having the $$ to buy a new kit) has been stopping me...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Maybe Hypermax will start offering a wastegated turbo kit someday? I've only heard good things about them, but that (plus not having the $$ to buy a new kit) has been stopping me...

With the kind of towing I do, I wouldn't ever want a wastegate. I'd love to have one of their pulse turbos, I'd trade my 088 system for one in a heartbeat

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IH doesn't support the IDIs anymore?

Nope, the guy at Lake City my local IH dealer, said 6.9 stuff was completely gone, 7.3 stuff was headed there. Antiquated motors, and now that Ferd and IH have divorced, IH saw no need to continue parts production.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nope, the guy at Lake City my local IH dealer, said 6.9 stuff was completely gone, 7.3 stuff was headed there. Antiquated motors, and now that Ferd and IH have divorced, IH saw no need to continue parts production.

I think your local dealer is completely out of the loop because the pickup truck market was a small drop in the bucket compared to the mid range commercial chassis market that these engines were delivered in new. Fleets of dump trucks, buses, Uhaul trucks, etc etcFors was not the only customer for these engines, IH put tons of these things into their own chassis THey would be shooting themselves in the foot if they discontinued production Do you have any idea how many utility companies own fleets of IH bucket trucks with these engines in them? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Sounds like your dealer is one of those types who doesn't like to be bothered with having to break out the paper catalogues and is trying to discourage you from coming back. Take your business elsewhere.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I wish someone would come up with a factory turbo upgrade alternative to the ATS - something with a good connection between the turbo and dp and good flow. Heck, just a housing that's made to take an OBS PSD downpipe would be awesome if that would work. I'd really like to un-choke my factory turbo, but the price of the ATS kit combined with the bad reviews of its reliability put me off a bit and I'm not sure the banks dp does a whole lot of good since it retains the little housing opening.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wish there was a turbo upgrade option that gave you a better mounting option, more efficient turbo, and a downpipe with a better connection than that stupid slip fit...I actually wouldn't mind trying Hypermax's kit although I would like more information on what turbo they use (since they don't tell you much).

Also, like RLDSL said, I know there are still plenty of Uhauls running around out there with 7.3's in them (hell my mom rented one in 2006), I know there has to be plenty of other medium duty trucks with that engine. I've seen quite a few IDI-powered tow trucks and rollbacks in my area.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your local dealer is completely out of the loop because the pickup truck market was a small drop in the bucket compared to the mid range commercial chassis market that these engines were delivered in new. Fleets of dump trucks, buses, Uhaul trucks, etc etcFors was not the only customer for these engines, IH put tons of these things into their own chassis THey would be shooting themselves in the foot if they discontinued production Do you have any idea how many utility companies own fleets of IH bucket trucks with these engines in them? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Sounds like your dealer is one of those types who doesn't like to be bothered with having to break out the paper catalogues and is trying to discourage you from coming back. Take your business elsewhere.

Maybe all I know is buying from IH used to be half or a third of buying at autozone or the like... i couldn't get gaskets, wanted to reseal the 6.9, and what they could get was 3-6 times as much as autozone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online