just did return lines same two still leak?

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Hey guys just did all my return lines with type4's kit so I know its quality but my same two are leaking could it be from the top of the injectors or glow plugs?? If so can I just pull the injector and put those copper washers on and that its or how do I do that? Any ideas are much appreciated and I know my caps are all down good and I used Vaseline soooo I'm stumped and its only the two that leaked before nothing else leaked

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the lines are not seating correctly on the injectors, I just sold a line to a guy who had this exact issue. He replaced the line...voila...done!

JM2CW

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the lines are not seating correctly on the injectors, I just sold a line to a guy who had this exact issue. He replaced the line...voila...done!
JM2CW

I made that exact same mistake, cross threading an injector when tightening the steel line. Hopefully you didn't do that, but a mistake like that can defiantly cause the leak your talking about. Actually, when I did that, I think fuel was seeping out of the top of the flare nut.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where exactly is the fuel leaking from. The top of the flare nut? From under the cap? Above the cap? That info could help narrow down the problem.

Regarding the steel lines, I think it's best to really be sure that's your problem. If you do need a new steel line, dipaco makes them and thedieselstore.com sells them, I was able to find one for $50. I think you can buy a whole set for just under $400. Be careful though if you need to buy the line for cylinder #1. If you have a timing adapter, then you will be fine buying the regular #1 line, if you don't, then buy the #1 line for the vans. I made that mistake, because the #1 line happened to be the one I cross threaded, and I don't have a timing adapter, so basically I wasted $50.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Slow down on buying a set of new lines for $400.00. Thats terrible. Any line set is easily found for around $40.00 used and as high as $125.00 on ebay all day long. At $50.00 per line I will sell you a new set all day long too. I'll even pay the shipping.... I have several new and many used sets so don't run off and pay $400.00 for a set. PM me about buying a set from me before you spend that amount of money. Now you say you hand tightened the line nuts before you put the wrench on them. Did you hand tighten them ALL the way down... If not your probably cross threaded the nuts to injecters. No problem. The injecters are soft metal and they can be straightened out. The nuts are hard metal. Mush harder that the injecters and thats a good thing. Are your lines complete with the 2 vibration dampner clamps on each side of the engine. If not your going to break lines just under the line nuts. Where is the line leaking because you talk about the copper gasket thats in the cylinder head under the injecter. Your description leaves out plenty of information. How did you install the 2 o rings on the injecters. The best way is to install the top one into the top groove. then install the bottom one over the top one. simply just roll it over the top installed o ring. Never try to remove the top o ring and place it in the bottom groove. Look at the intake manifold bolts that holds the manifold to the head. Between those bolts is the cylinder number your working on. Tell us that and we can tell you what cylinders may need a new or used hard line.

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
OK so looks like it is coming from injector seat and top of return line cap and not the flare nut, and I did the o rings like what you said. Looks to be from pass said injector so number 1 I think? The next one behind it seems to maybe leak a little but not like the front one everything else is still fine too no leaks anywhere else

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so looks like it is coming from injector seat and top of return line cap and not the flare nut, and I did the o rings like what you said. Looks to be from pass said injector so number 1 I think? The next one behind it seems to maybe leak a little but not like the front one everything else is still fine too no leaks anywhere else
You have me confused...can you get a clear picture with say a pencil or some other item pointing neatly at the area where you see the leak?

The injector seat is actually in the head itself.

Just trying to visualize your description is not working...too much brake clean fumes maybe??? while head in the tub of Muscateer...rofl

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Like I explained in my early post. Look at the 2 bolts of the intake manifold to head. Between them you will find that cylinder number. Now if your telling us in a round bout way the injecter thats leaking is the front cylinder on the passenger side head. That will be the closest cylinder to the fuel filter and the radiater. That injecter hard line has a Rotunda timing adapter on it. This cylinder is very hard to screw the hard line to the injecter on. I loosen the timing adapter. then hand tighten the hard line nut ALL the way down. Once I'm sure its hand tight all the way down I loosen it about a turn or 2 and tighten the adapter to the injecter. then tighten the line nut to the adapter. If you have cross threaded that injecter you can remove it and use a knife edged 4 inch single cut smooth file to clean up the threads. Might even move that injecter thats cross threaded to an easier cylinder. But please hand tighten it to that cylinder hard line nut too. The injecter torque to the heads is 35 lbs. Please also replace the copper gasket. Never try to reuse an old copper gasket. They surely will leak because they have work hardened.

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
When I said seat of injector I meant the part of it where it going into the block it looks like fuel is coming up out of there and top of the black cap is seaping too. I'll try and get out there in the next couple days gotta work this weekend tho hope I didn't crossthread it tho I made sure to be careful not to is strange that the same injectors that were leaking before are still leaking.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had hats leak when the rubber line between injectors was too long. Pushes the hats off center. It takes some fiddling sometimes.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So have you ever removed an injecter from the heads on this engine... If so what did you do about the copper gasket. Now looking at an injecter the threads on the body have nothing to do about sealing anything. Only the copper gasket on the bottom seals anything in the head. If your still leaking from the top you may have a cross threaded nut that you did or did not do. How long has this been leaking. Did you just take possession of this truck.

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
I've never had them out but its a dealers diesel reman so I dunno its been leaking pretty much since I put new gp's in oddly enough but just those front two. Bd you might be on to something the one did seem actually a tad short when I cut it maybe I'll try that again measure it to exactly 4in. O and I've had the truck for about a year now