Junkyard Score!!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
At first I freaked out when I saw the pistons. But upon further inspection, what looks like melted pistons is actually just carbon buildup. I can clearly see the serial number pressed into the top of several of them.

And with some brake clean, those two rusted cylinders cleaned up. Cylinder #6 is kinda iffy, might need to be cleaned up at a machine shop. Since the head is off, its going to one.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rering kit, fresh hone and run it unless there is some big pits, oh and a valve job, did it have a thermostat in it? Running cold will make lots of carbon.

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
So rering the pistons, Rehone it if the block is good? And new valves? Did not pull the tstat housing off yet but that is one item to look for tomorrow. There was a lot of carbon on the exhaust manifold as well.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah exhaust manifold was carbines up big time. Russ ring kit including all the crank and connecting rod bearings? Or just rings?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Head is at the machine shop, getting the works.

Cost $180.
Total so far: $650

will buy a complete gasket kit, cylinder hone (DIY), and KDP. Should be good to go at that point. Probably rings as well. Will inspect te bearings on the bottom end and replace as needed.

Should be at a grand when said and done.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
After much long debate, its official, within the next year (probably next winter sometime) this thing will be going into my truck.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
If your still in east texas come spring, I need to drop off my 91 and let you do some work to it. No time. Im currently down the road at exit 591 from yall.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Gotta love a budget cummins swap. Mine started out as a budget then turned into a 5k dollar deal. If you have any questions I can try to help Im just finishing mine up.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Your like at exit 560 something and Im at exit 591 on I20. So you like 45 miles or less from me. I need the following done: New clutch,oil pressure and water gagues,check for KDP and rear breaks and remove my stacks off the IDI and put on goat.And finish putting IDI back together. Thats about it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Got the head back from the shop. This thing is getting expensive!

Now I need to look at some re-ring kits. That plus machine work should be in the 750-1000$ range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online