Junkyard cold air intake deflector

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So I spent a day at the junkyard a while back looking for parts to use for cold air and intercooler setups.

I posted the intake hat earlier and the accordian looking hose in the pics is from that same vehicle.

So this air deflector is from an Expedition, the airbox wasn't there so I just used the half piece I found and cut it to fit.

This is a 5"x9" K&N air filter, fits if you shove the battery all the way over.

I'm hoping I can turn the battery 90 degrees and then the aircleaner will fit even with the A/C installed.;Sweet

I don't have an EGT so no news there.

When the truck is running, I can put my hand down at the deflector and feel the hot air blowing on it.

I'm guessing it has pretty much 100% cold air once the truck is moving a little and getting air in through the core support.

Attachments

• P1010181.JPG
    P1010181.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 170
  • P1010180.JPG
    P1010180.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010182.JPG
    P1010182.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 140
  • P1010176.JPG
    P1010176.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010178.JPG
    P1010178.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010177.JPG
    P1010177.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 139

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Thanks 88IDIturbo.

The accordian deal came off a grand cherokee with a 5.2 IIRC. It had an intake hat the same size as our intake manifold with a three inch inlet. I posted that a few days ago under something like junkyard intake hat.

That Expedition airbox may be on some F150s.

If I could find a complete box it has about a 3 1/2- 4" inch outlet which if used in reverse might attach to the plastic cold air damn from a factory N/A.

The piece I have is actually the inlet side for the Expedition. I cut the opening to fit the 3" aluminum pipe in the pics. That airbox might not be a bad one to use if you could get an aftermarket K&N for it or something like that, just needs the inlet cut bigger.

I've got a truck with a serp setup right now. I'm really tempted to put that on my truck and get a bunch more clearance to run the cold air behind or rather over the compressor in a much straighter line than I'd have to do if I used my v-belt compressor. Then turn the battery sideways. and add some more air dams from tin shingles or something like that and have nearly pure cold air and A/C too.;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
I would ditch the accordion looking stuff for a linger piece of tube, just seems to me it wouldn't flow as well as tube. Great thinking though!

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the stock airbox so bad?

Not to be an ass, but that doesn't look like it will survive the first speed bump.

Seriously though, the factory CAI draws from almost the exact same spot. If you wanted you could even cut the flat part off the end (where it mounts) and then it WOULD draw from the exact same spot.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Is the stock airbox so bad?

Not to be an ass, but that doesn't look like it will survive the first speed bump.

Seriously though, the factory CAI draws from almost the exact same spot. If you wanted you could even cut the flat part off the end (where it mounts) and then it WOULD draw from the exact same spot.

The problem with the factory setups is that a both n/a and turbo runs a big bulky filter housing that doesn't flow as much as a conical filter and the factory turbo filter is a flat filter that is prone to pulling dirt through the sealing flange

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switching to a cone filter might give a small gain in power, but to me it's not worth bastardizing your truck over. It's not like that scabbed together intake is going to give the truck another 5hp.

I would trust the seal on a properly installed factory filter to keep dirt out a lot more than the seal created when randomly assembling a mix bag of junkyard parts and v-bands. :dunno

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
In my case the turbo kit came without an airbox.

Having had two other turbo kits with airbox's, one being a Banks, I'll leave you to yours if you like it.

As the title says, the deflector is junkyard. The 3" aluminum pipe pipe, and rubber elbows, are new and intake rated. Same parts engineers with degrees would scab together on a quarter million dollar truck or some bastardized 50 thousand dollar generator.:dunno

You really can't tell anything about the stability of it from the pictures or see the mounts but thanks for such concerns.:rolleyes:

I did try to find a 3" rubber connector in a 15 or 22.5 degree bend to replace the accordian for better flow, but was only able to find a 90 degree locally. The accordian has adapters on each end so it is actually bigger than 3" and it also creates a vibration barrier so I'm liking it and am thinking I will keep it on there for now.;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
I agree with plywood, manufacturers such as preterbuilt, kenworth, ford, and Sterling use those elbows and pipe all the time, why would they not be good enough for a 3/4-1 ton? Now I do agree there are probably no noticeable power gains but it can't hurt to get a more free flow of cooler air can it? Personally I prefer the wix 42667 as compared to the k&n filters but I am not afraid to run one.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
When the filter was located just about over the #2 injector, I would notice that when the truck worked and got hot and I had to stop at a light, I could notice a major decrease in power until the truck got moving again and cooled off some.

I already notice the improvement, I'm sure it will be a major gain for summer.

If I had a 94 truck with a factory turbo I'm not sure I'd mess with it either.,,,,,,,,,ahhhhh, I probably would.

My truck was an 87 with a 460/C6. The engine, turbo, tranny, conversion parts, batteries, pedal assembly, starter, are all from different trucks.LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online