Isuzu diesel from a Chevy.... what could it be?

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, a buddy has an Isuzu diesel that he says he pulled from a Chevy car- a Chevell or Chevet I think forgot. But it is an Isuzu diesel backed by an automatic tranny. Any how, he's sure that the engine is the same one that was used in the Chevy Luv. So anyone know what engine that was and if it's the same....

Next question, what kind of chassis would this Isuzu diesel match up with? Not sure how much he wants for it. The original car had low, low miles, but the tranny started to leak (from bell housing). So instead of fixing it, he just yanked the engine/tranny and canned the car..... :eek: wished I knew, I wold have been interested in the whole thing (who cares if it's ugly....) If it gets better then 19-21MPG, I would drive it around instead of my Sable....:D

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Researched- 1.8L N/A diesel..... about 50-60HP....

What's the thoughts of that being put into an S-10?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An S10 is probably kinda heavy. These engines were anemic in Chevettes and Luv pickups, add weight and you'll be sacrificing performance. I think it would be good in a Samurai, or a flimsy little 70s mini truck.
Travis..

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the sammy.

The sammy motor wasn't much more stout than the Isuzu motor to begin with, so performance would be the same if not better, because with the diesel you have more torque.. and I bet you ghetto fab a Turbo on that bad boy, I would look at a garrett T-3 of a Volvo 240/740 series car, $35 at my local pick a part/u-pull-it yard, IC's from same go for about the same... Or a Subi turbo... and you will be hella bumping mpg's, plus you gain a cool little 4x4 out of the deal....

Go over to diesel bombers, and find the IDaho chapter, the head of the Idaho CHapter, screen name MUDDY runs a Chevette (the origin of yer drivetrain) as a d.d.... I think he pulls close to 50 mpg out of it...

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts.....

And I know where there is this older import pickup truck too. Older then the Isuzu.... I think it's a mid 70's or older Toyota pickup.... diesel might fit in there. And since the vehicle in question is older.....then the diesel that 'could' go into it....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online