Is this a good deal?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Alright, now I know this is an IDI forum, but I had a question that maybe you guys can help me out with.

I'm not replacing the good old IDI, but I was offered a running 2002 7.3L powerstroke diesel engine for $300. New turbo, front and rear main seals.

The guy explained that the shop he took it to told him the rings were starting to go, so he bought another engine and wanted to sell this one.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go look at it, but anything I should keep in mind? For $300 it almost sounds either too good to be true, or one hell of a deal.

That new PSD turbo might find a place in a custom IDI turbo project if anything...but that has yet to be decided :rotflmao

Thanks for any input :hail:hail:hail

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Alright, now I know this is an IDI forum, but I had a question that maybe you guys can help me out with.

I'm not replacing the good old IDI, but I was offered a running 2002 7.3L powerstroke diesel engine for $300. New turbo, front and rear main seals.

The guy explained that the shop he took it to told him the rings were starting to go, so he bought another engine and wanted to sell this one.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go look at it, but anything I should keep in mind? For $300 it almost sounds either too good to be true, or one hell of a deal.

That new PSD turbo might find a place in a custom IDI turbo project if anything...but that has yet to be decided :rotflmao

Thanks for any input :hail:hail:hail

If ( big if) the story is true, you could always do a quick ring job on the thing for probablyunder $500 if you do it yourself, and turn around and make a nice chunk of change if it runs out good. Then again, you might wind up with a world class trot line sinker :dunno

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Those were my same thoughts exactly...a nice chunk of change or an expensive boat anchor...:puke:

Considering I'm still working on my turbo project on the IDI as it is (wiring inside the cab atm ;Sweet) I think I'm gonna have to pass on it. I'm 100% sure there are still little things that are gonna add up. Had to make two trips to town yesterday for more header wrap and oil line fittings :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely. Heads... all that stuff. Worth way more than $300. You CANT loose money on that deal.