Is the ATS housing upgrade worth it???

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on my 94 turbo I have a 3 inch straight pipe from the turbo housing on out so I am not dealing with the pinched factory downpipe. I am wondering if the new turbo housing upgrade from ATS will make much of a difference in overall power. Just thought I would ask for opinions from people that have experience with the upgrade before I make the decision to purchase or not.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it sure is.
You must be registered for see images

unfortunately,they are no longer in production.
ATS has informed one member on FTE,that if they saw enough demand for them,they would make some more........i wouldn't hold my breath.
but make sure you call ATS and inform them you want one,to help bring up the demand.

actually,i forgot there was post latter saying they had the kits in finally.
so i dunno one way or the other as to the status.give 'em a call.you'll know soon enough.:)

Last edited:

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion No. Wasn't worth the effort and the bad quality of product. If you have a good 3" downpipe you are good to go. If it wasn't such a PITA to remove I would put my old housing back on if I had it.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Didn't one of the members here take the stock outlet housing, cut it, then weld on a 3" pipe section?

1994IDI

Reaction score
You all are not talking about the same part. I am not sure what part the O.P. meant, but he SAID "turbo housing". The picture posted by FORDF250HDXLT is the "turbo outlet" or "elbow". ATS did make an upgrade of both. I am running the upgraded "elbow" with a 3" downpipe, but Garrett (ghunt) is the only one I know who bought the upgraded "housing". He may chime in and let you know what he thinks.
There is not really a good solution as far as I can tell because I think the 3" elbow and downpipe are a worthwhile upgrade, but ATS is the only company that makes them for us in that size, and their product is junk. It is a cheaply built, slip fit application, that bangs against my transmission, seeing as how the bracket that comes on the downpipe does not come anywhere close to fitting to a ZF5. I didn't mean to ramble, just trying to give a little info.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My personal opinion No. Wasn't worth the effort and the bad quality of product. If you have a good 3" downpipe you are good to go. If it wasn't such a PITA to remove I would put my old housing back on if I had it.

I will gladly trade you my housing and my downpipe its homemade i will pay shipping both ways

bump it

Reaction score
Downpipe etc

I am building my first diesel tow rig. It's a 93 f350 dually 7.3 idi turbo, and a 5zf.

I have the motor and tranny out of the truck right now and want to know what I should put on the motor while its out. Sounds like the newer larger downpipe is difficult to install and would be easier with the motor out of the truck. Is the 3 inch elbow after the turbo a worthwhile upgrade? Is the larger downpipe a worthwhile upgrade? What benefits are you seeing..............MPG are not that big a concern for me since I won't be driving the truck everyday. Mainly looking for a little more power.

THanks for your help and patience with a newb.

csangster

Reaction score
I am building my first diesel tow rig. It's a 93 f350 dually 7.3 idi turbo, and a 5zf.

I have the motor and tranny out of the truck right now and want to know what I should put on the motor while its out. Sounds like the newer larger downpipe is difficult to install and would be easier with the motor out of the truck. Is the 3 inch elbow after the turbo a worthwhile upgrade? Is the larger downpipe a worthwhile upgrade? What benefits are you seeing..............MPG are not that big a concern for me since I won't be driving the truck everyday. Mainly looking for a little more power.

THanks for your help and patience with a newb.

As far as I am aware, right now there are only two vendors that support the IDI in our trucks. Banks Diesel has an entire complement of parts that you can choose from, all the way up to a brand new sidewinder system. I believe Hypermax also has some parts for the IDI, but I don't think it fits in the same location as the stock turbo parts (banks puts all their stuff in basically the stock location). I have heard good things about both vendors.

I have been calling ATS on and off for the past year and they don't seem to be moving too quickly with the IDI parts.....something about upgrading their design...interpret that any way you want.

My two cents,
Chris

1994IDI

Reaction score
Bump it: You honestly would do better to search in the archives. There are endless threads on adding more power, and other important information pertaining to these trucks such as, cavitation, hydroboost, Moose products etc. Then post a new thread with specific questions. Welcome to OB and good luck with your rig.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dyoung if it wasn't already installed on my truck I would but I'm not tearing it apart right now just to do that. If I have to in the near future for some odd reason I would gladly trade you just the outlet housing. I can make my own 3" downpipe. I will keep you in mind if it comes apart for some reason.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"properly installed" the aftermarket housing and downpipe is worth every $$$$. My egt's are lower as well as my boost drive pressure across the board.
Yes it is larger. yes it's a ***** to put in and yes it's a ***** to seal up. If the slip fit is a little loose, you have to take a trip over to the local exhaust shop to get the guys to use the pipe expander to do it's magic. This is not a simple plug-n-play like what you do with a reprogramer, YOU WILL HAVE TO GET DIRTY AND USE A LITTLE INGENUITY. The reward when combined with and intercooler, the entire system is relatively maintence free and will produce good pulling power all the way to redline. Don't take my word for it, ask some member who have driven and hauled with my truck;Sweet

Attachments

• SL371345.JPG
    SL371345.JPG
    868.8 KB · Views: 28
  • SL371346.JPG
    SL371346.JPG
    861.2 KB · Views: 21

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Dyoung if it wasn't already installed on my truck I would but I'm not tearing it apart right now just to do that. If I have to in the near future for some odd reason I would gladly trade you just the outlet housing. I can make my own 3" downpipe. I will keep you in mind if it comes apart for some reason.

I have a downpipe i made that works good gained me 3psi

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont waste your money on the ats junk.i bought the complete upgrade kit.i think a monkey couldve designed it better.