Is my idle normal?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, you sure don't have any blow by to speak of. The red liquid in that filter isn't shaking. Don't sound like any miss. When you cracked the injectors in the other video, it looked like maybe the fuel had some foam in it, hard to see tho. Did it?

Did you do something?

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan Clutch? The bearing on mine went bad and it shook like hell, especially when warm(when it would engage). I had overlooked it for quite a while until I was working on something else and noticed the missing ball bearings and destroyed bearing cage.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you sure don't have any blow by to speak of. The red liquid in that filter isn't shaking. Don't sound like any miss. When you cracked the injectors in the other video, it looked like maybe the fuel had some foam in it, hard to see tho. Did it?

Did you do something?

The camera doesn't pickup the shaking very well. When I crack the injector lines, there is foamy fuel coming out but then it turns clear. I just assumed it was the high pressure fuel mixing with the air in the connector or something like that. The fuel heater recently started leaking and I need to find the right O-rings to fix it. I'm not sure if that would cause air to get in when running but it does cause leak-back. It has shaken like this long before the fuel heater started leaking.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan Clutch? The bearing on mine went bad and it shook like hell, especially when warm(when it would engage). I had overlooked it for quite a while until I was working on something else and noticed the missing ball bearings and destroyed bearing cage.

I'll take a look at the fan clutch. I don't notice the fan wobbling or anything, though. Would the fan be loose or have play in it?

I will also check out the engine mounts. Would I be looking for something obvious like a crack or complete failure? How do I check the TC bolts? Do I have to take the tranny off or are they external?

Thanks for the advice!

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another dizzying video for y'all. I think these are the motor mounts and they look OK to me but maybe I am missing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafY-B7Vyzg

I put the camera on the ground a few time to see if it would pick up any shaking. Maybe I am just being too picky.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shaking turns out to be a bad injector. I found it by testing the millivolts produced by each individual glow plug. The #4 cylinder had a much lower reading. I replaced the injector with an old one. It's not perfect but it runs a lot smoother. I will need to buy a new injector for #4.

Here is an interesting read on super-tuning your engine with GP readings.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/593483-using-glow-plugs-to-super-tune-the-engine.html