IP Leaks??

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well while doing the basic maintenance and changing the valve cover gaskets on the Rollback I noticed a lot of fuel in the valley area and the IP is wet. Is there a way I can fix the leak with out taking the pump off or having it rebuilt? Reseal/Gasket kit? Is there a place that they normally leak?

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. I tried and almost blew up my motor. There are a few common places they start to leak, and in any case it needs to be rebuilt.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
X2 And its not like you can go to NAPA and get a o-ring for it. Mine was leaking too, so I sent it off to be rebuilt? How many miles are on it anyway? The average life span for one is 100k miles, although mine made it to 180k (just barely though). An injection pump is so complicated and the tolerences are so tight that its a job best left up to the professionals.

BUT before you go off tearing stuff apart, check some things first. There are some rubber o-rings in the hard line that connects the fuel filter to the IP. also make sure the soft return lines (between each injector) aren't cracked or leaking. Also there are two o-rings under each injector cap. Finally check that each injector line is on tight. if all that checks out then happy wrenching! But be warned: DO NOT REMOVE THE IP GEAR HOUSING!!!! If you remove that housing ( its where the Tach sensor plugs in and the oil fill is) then you will have to re-time the gears. For further reading visit the tech articles

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that I can not rebuild the pump, the point of my post/thread is, is there a cover/gasket/seal that leaks fuel that can be easily replaced? I just seen the fuel in the valley and didn't have time to investigate. I know its not the injectors/caps/o-rings. The fuel is coming from the pump area and the injectors, cap and o-rings are all new.

The pump has been replaced before and I don't know the mileage but I am betting the one on it now was a used unit as it has a VRV on it and my truck is a 4 speed. Anyone that has had theirs rebuilt, what did it run you? Did you ship yours off and have it rebuilt or did you get a rebuilt one and send yours in for a core?? I sent a PM on a pump suggestion for some more power, but waiting on a price and availability...

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... New plan. What is the deal with these U-Haul pumps on eBay? Are they a quality rebuild? I have new injectors and I don't wanna ruin them with a junk pump, but the low cost and the fact that I need no core return is catchy to me. This way I can install one of the U-Hau pump while my pump is being rebuilt to Moose/Baby Moose specs while I am looking for a turbo kit. Basically any insite on U-Haul pumps?

Also their pump claims to be for a 1993-1995 w/o turbo, w/ auto. What is the difference between that and a 6.9L pump with a 4 speed?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Silver Hatch, you need to figure out where your leak is coming from. Very often it is from the hard line from the filter to the back of the pump or one of the fittings is loose either one of the fittings that sends the fuel to the injectors on the back of the pump or the fitting for the hard line itself. If you're sure it isn't the low pressure return lines/caps then you need to get the valley pan under the pump as dry and clean as you can and see where the fuel leaks out. Opening up a DB2 IP is considered a bad idea on the Ford/IH forums but many people on the GM forums will open up a pump to work on stuff like the shaft seals. With doing that you're out there on your own. I do not and few people here have experience with opening a pump to that degree and there is a chance you could ruin the thing to the point that it can't be repaired by a real shop or you could get crap in it and really destroy it if you aren't careful. When it comes to an actual overhaul that really should include calibration and that can only be done with precision in a pump shop with the specialized equipment and surgically clean conditions. Rebuild kits do exist, but info on how to work with these pumps internally is scarce and closely guarded. They usually go for $30 or so on ebay. If the pump itself is leaking it's likely going to be the shaft seals or the advance piston. It would be cool to see some OB guys open up pumps but they should only do this if they're ok with the very real risk of ruining the core for "the sake of science" and experience and can afford to take the hit. If you ever mess with your pump internally and probably even if you get a professionally rebuilt pump, you should have a secondary way of shutting down the engine in case things weren't right internally with the pump, a good hardbound book or clean piece of plywood works to kill the air flow or cut the fuel line. Runaway is scary as hell and can destroy your engine. A good quality rebuild like Agnem's builder provides are pricy but money well spent if that's what you need, but be sure it's really the pump itself leaking before condemning it. The donut seals on those hardlines are pretty mickey mouse and prone to leak. I always fix cheap and easy first. I also don't think you're running much risk of ruining your injectors by running with a marginal pump. It's a good bet that your timing will be a little bit more retarded than it was with the old worn injectors if the pump is on it's last legs though.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck I found the same excess fuel in the valley and by chance discovered the torque/smoke(?) screw on the back of the ip 's lock nut loose and had a steady drip of fuel while running.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The U-Haul pumps are remaned by DieseLogic. The 93-95 pump should be OK for your truck. Any reman pump your taking a chance on it, I don't think they could damage your injectors. I would have to believe that U-Haul would have found another repair place for there reman if DieseLogic wasn't reliable. U-Haul is getting rid of all there diesel Vehicles do to stupid people using gasoline in them. The pumps come out of Kansas City, thats where there main warehouse for repair parts is at. Last I knew they had over 80 of the 93-95 pumps. There is another U-Haul ebay site were you can get 2 pumps for $400, and another place were they have the 80's pumps. I got 1 of the 93-95 and am thinking of getting 2 more for $400. Shipping only took 3 days to me.
Read these:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45612

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45612

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44748

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08