Interior parts interchangeability

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was wandering if parts like kick panels, door panels, headlights, and stuff like that will interchange between a bricknose and obs trucks.

Also if the power windows and locks are a direct bolt in from a brick to obs.

By obs, I mean my 94 or my brothers 93.

Thanks gentlemen, and the few ladies....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
One more thing.

Will the windshield swap?
The one in my 94 is scratched all to hell. Never seen anything quite like it. But can hardly drive against the sun with it.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Door panels will exchange I think, seats will for sure

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I may swap the whole door.
On the seats, I see people say they will, and some say they won't.
I think I'm just going to fit some air seats from a big truck.

According to LMC, it's the same part number for the windshield's.

Bierisch

Reaction score
The door cards wouldn't line up with the dash I don't think... but I could be wrong, I haven't paid too much attention.

EDIT: Also I believe the only real difference part wise exterior is the front clip and bed.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The door cards wouldn't line up with the dash I don't think... but I could be wrong, I haven't paid too much attention.

EDIT: Also I believe the only real difference part wise exterior is the front clip and bed.

I'm not sure what you mean. :dunno

Last edited:

Bierisch

Reaction score
I'm sure what you mean. :dunno

The panels on the inside of the door, with window cranks and door pulls and stuff, I don't think they will line up properly with the dash. As the dashes in the 7th gen is different from 9th gen. As well as the door panels.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah I see. I'll compare them first, if I even get that far with it.

As far as the panel, I would be swapping the whole door most likely.
But I'm really undecided on it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Will do. The reasons I want to swap doors are for the power windows and locks from the 88, and the outer door skins on my 94 are cracked at the mirror mounts. So my mirrors wobble and shake.

But the driver door on the 88 has some damage. That's why I haven't swapped them.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, hold on, what doors are you thinking of swapping, brick ones on an OBS? You can use brick panels on OBS doors no problem, but if you try to run OBS panels on brick doors the vent windows won't open unless you hack off the "horn" at the front top corner of the OBS panel (take a look at both your OBS and your brick, you'll see what I mean). Hanging the entire brick door, panels and all, on the OBS will work, but your OBS dash corners won't visually match the brick panels. Another thing - the OBS door harness bellows are fatter where they enter the door, meaning you'll have to enlarge the opening in the brick door for it to fit properly. If hanging an OBS door on a brick, the opening in the OBS door will need to be downsized - cutting a small area around the brick opening and welding or riveting that over the OBS opening does the trick.

Door handles, both OBS and brick use the same plastic POS. You can replace them w/ metal ones from a slantnose. There are two types to chose from, one is a F0 casting (used on '80 and '81 trucks, possibly some '82s as well) and the other is F2 casting (used on '83-'86 trucks for sure, possibly on '82s as well) - difference is in length, the F0 casting is longer. F2 handles are direct bolt-on affair on both OBS and brick doors. F0s will clear brick panels, but not OBS panels. Additionally, the "tooth" stamped on the handle mechanism for locating the handle so it don't spin if bolt gets a bit loose is wider on the F0 assemblies, meaning when you install the F0 handles on the brick doors the handles will try to twist on you before you tighten the bolts down good - not a big deal, but one to be aware of nevertheless. As far as bolts go, two are available - one takes 8mm socket, the other is 11mm IIRC - both are the same thread and are thus interchangeable, however I suggest using the larger head ones when possible. I run F0 handles and large-head bolts on my brick, it's how these trucks should have come from factory IMHO. For an OBS use the shorter F2 castings and again large-head bolts. Handles can be swapped w/o pulling door panels, however cross-threading the bolts is very easy then so it's quite a bit less annoying to just yank panels for this job.

Seats - reg cab and crew cab seats interchange, ext cab are their own special breed. If you want air ride in a reg cab or a crew, you should be looking at cabover trucks because some of them have shallow-mount air seats. The typical big truck air seats have frames that are quite tall, may work in a flat-floored ext cab but not in a reg cab or a crew. Another option would be the spring-loaded frames from an import truck, the J70-series Land Cruiser ones are actually very nice and sturdy but good luck finding them as those trucks were never sold in the US (ah, if only). Not sure if normal US models (60 and 80 series) Land Cruisers would have those seats. Custom work is required either way.

Windshields should interchange between brick and OBS, however I recall something about the slant-nose one being same shape but thicker. Which IMHO would be an advantage. Door glass is identical between bricks and OBS, but does not interchange w/ slantnose unless you use slantnose vent window frames as well. Don't remember which was the wider one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, it would be taking the 88 F250 extended cab doors to my 94 F350 single cab.

I had read that the doors on my 94 should have an extra body line, but they're identical to the 88 doors. Except the wing windows. The 94's don't run fully to the front of the door, they have a rubber piece that sits in there to take up the space.
I think I may just forget the idea of the door swapping from the 98, I'll just find power doors from my era truck.
The door handles is great info, and something I had heard about before. Just not the full story you gave.
Definitely need those handles, some people just don't understand that you simply pull the handle, not yank the damned thing.

The seats in the 88 ex cab are captains chairs, the 94 single cab is a bench seat.
But the info for the air seat is duly noted, I'll definitely add it to a list of things to do.
I can build a seat mount if I need to. I now have occasional access to a welder and torch. But plan to buy my own pretty soon.

The only thing I saw with the windshield's was about the vin "cutout." Supposedly they're shaped different or something. I haven't looked to compare yet.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The extra body line on some OBS doors is just a crease near the very bottom of the door. Goofy looking and completely useless IMHO. My new doors have it, not like it makes any difference.

The wing windows rubber piece is where the horn of the OBS door panel goes over to hide it from inside. When you hang brick doors on an OBS even if you trim the door panels horns there the windows will still not be 100% operational - they will hit edges of dash next, and that you can't trim. They will still open quite a bit, you just can't swing them all the way like normally.

I ran into the F0 door handles by accident, while looking for F2s for an OBS truck. Glad I found them, much better fit on brick door panels and easier to operate too (F2s and factory plastics are kinda small IMHO).

The ext cab chairs won't directly fit the reg cab (or a crew), you'll have to get creative, possibly w/ welder.

What's the windshield VIN cutoff? They may very well be different between brick and OBS too, I was just told by a glass person that the older ones are fatter... Or I may be thinking Chevy here, it's hard to keep track of all these old beasts, lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah I see.
Good stuff.

The vin cutout is just the unpainted area for the vin tag in the dash. The black edge around the window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online