Intake backfire?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started doing this the other night since it's been getting cold. Did an oil change like 3 weeks ago. Valvoline diesel 15w-40 and Lucas oil stabilizer with a wix psd filter. Doesn't do this except after sitting all night and clears up in less than 2-3 seconds then runs fine. None of the injector lines get hot as if an injector is stuck open. It idles smooth and starts easy, that was a cold start, no block heater (34*). If this is an intake valve sticking open why can't I hear it tapping the piston? It's clearly coming up through the intake though. Truck barely uses a quart or 2 of oil in the 4-5000 mile change intervals I run and I'm assuming it's all going through my worn CDR. It has blow by, but not excessive. This is my daily driver, ugh..... clicking in the beginning of the video (if it loads) is the facet lift pump.

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a collapsed lifter to me, maybe a broken valve spring or rocker.
pull valve covers and inspect asap

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a collapsed lifter to me, maybe a broken valve spring or rocker.
pull valve covers and inspect asap

All suspicious I had along with maybe worn valve guide? I just don't get why it started after I put good new oil in it. Didn't do it the first few freezing nights we had or last winter at all. Thank god my Nieghbor is my co worker lol

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5W40 oil can help with cold starts. I use it year round in my 6.0.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
That lucas oil stabilizer is nothing more than an oil thickener. Makes the oil flow way slower when its cold. You might have a lifter leaking down and its more noticeable because of that.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about running some seafoam in the oil and doing another oil change to see if there is something trapped in a lifter. I've always liked the Lucas to help with the dry starts and leaks and once warm it flows like normal oil. I've always ran Lucas in this truck and this wasn't an issue last winter. I really don't want to pull the heads... I'll be at least pulling valve covers this weekend to look for broken springs and pushing on the lifter side of rocker arms.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do the seafoam before the oil change. It could knock stuff loose. Makes more since to do it then vs dirtying clean oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pull valve covers before I bought some auto pharmaceuticals
just sayin..

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the seafoam before the oil change. It could knock stuff loose. Makes more since to do it then vs dirtying clean oil.

That's what I planned on doing, sorry if it came off differently. Sucks thinking about dumping 40$ in oil and 30$ worth of Lucas with less than 500 miles on it :(. Would that seafoam harm the oil filter?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pull valve covers before I bought some auto pharmaceuticals
just sayin..

First thing Saturday if I don't work that's what I'll be doing. If that doesn't show any signs, I'll try the seafoam

I really appreciate the input guys!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It shouldn't hurt anything.
In gas engines I've ran it a couple hundred miles to give it plenty of time to work.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't hurt anything.
In gas engines I've ran it a couple hundred miles to give it plenty of time to work.

Well if nothing shows up under the valve covers this weekend I'll put some in Sunday and drive it to work for the 3 day work week then change the oil for the thanksgiving driving I have to do. I was just concerned about the chemicals breaking down the filter elements some how. It's a 25$ filter lol

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks sat for 2 day now, plenty of time for a lifter to leak down. Well this morning it's 60 degrees outside and there was absolutely no sound through the intake like it was doing 30 degrees colder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online