Intake backfire?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what TF some of you are saying but last I heard a lifter bleedijg DOWN caused a lifter CLATTER/TICK...

A lifter NOT bleeding down correctly...AKA PUMPED UP or LIFTER JACKING is what would cause the HUFF out intake....

one way keeps valve open longer.....the other shorter....

In theory running seafoam or what ever should be fine 1 can in oil run about 500 miles n drain IIRC my conversation w them. This Could maybe clean out a deposit blocking the lifter and allowing it to function correctly.

More than likely the guide is worn and that is the culprit and yes it can be intermittent....however if it is a guide it likely WONT improve with age and wear if not corrected.

JM7.3CW Eh!....but *** do I know:dunno

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what TF some of you are saying but last I heard a lifter bleedijg DOWN caused a lifter CLATTER/TICK...

A lifter NOT bleeding down correctly...AKA PUMPED UP or LIFTER JACKING is what would cause the HUFF out intake....

one way keeps valve open longer.....the other shorter....

In theory running seafoam or what ever should be fine 1 can in oil run about 500 miles n drain IIRC my conversation w them. This Could maybe clean out a deposit blocking the lifter and allowing it to function correctly.

More than likely the guide is worn and that is the culprit and yes it can be intermittent....however if it is a guide it likely WONT improve with age and wear if not corrected.

JM7.3CW Eh!....but *** do I know:dunno

I mentioned the valve guides earlier, thinking that could've been my issue. I would have to remove the springs to check the play in the guides, right? What's the max amount of play they can have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned the valve guides earlier, thinking that could've been my issue. I would have to remove the springs to check the play in the guides, right? What's the max amount of play they can have?

IF u know how to do this with pistons at TDC THEN YEZ...however...if you drop a valve ...guess what...heads come off...

I hesitate to suggest an option based on those variables...

In all likely hood...its guides...

Dont ask how i know....look up Post Mortem

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know exactly what Lucas oil treatment your using, but if it's the thickner, that's a NO NO. The thickner is used in Hi Speed Drag vehicles. After a 4 second run the oil is drained and engine completely torn down. If your selling it, makes you Wealthy, if using it, well....................?

Don't you know the more oil flow, the cooler the bearings run.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know exactly what Lucas oil treatment your using, but if it's the thickner, that's a NO NO. The thickner is used in Hi Speed Drag vehicles. After a 4 second run the oil is drained and engine completely torn down. If your selling it, makes you Wealthy, if using it, well....................?

Don't you know the more oil flow, the cooler the bearings run.

http://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil-additives/heavy-duty-oil-stabilizer

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF u know how to do this with pistons at TDC THEN YEZ...however...if you drop a valve ...guess what...heads come off...

I hesitate to suggest an option based on those variables...

In all likely hood...its guides...

Dont ask how i know....look up Post Mortem

Finding TDC won't be an issue. I have a dial indicator so I could measure the play in all the valve guides. Is any play allowed?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain your method for tdc each cyl please...

I'm honestly not trying to be a **** or rude but I feel like you're questioning my intelligence. I'm no master certified ASE technician but I've never taken a vehicle whether mine, friends, or family's to the shop because I couldn't do the task. I'm halfway through building at 4.7 stroker for my wrangler and I just got done setting up a set of gears in a 10.25 for my f350

The crank would be spun by a friend on a breaker bar. Id watch the exhaust close and just before the intake started to budge I'd stop him. If he passes tdc on exhaust stroke some how I could go exactly 360* (one full turn) and stop it on the compression stroke. I would have to look up what cylinders are at tdc after I found tdc on the one I was watching. After those 4 are checked, 180* (half turn) would put the other 4 at tdc.

Any play measurable by a dial indicator allowed on a valve guide?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not trying to be a **** or rude but I feel like you're questioning my intelligence. I'm no master certified ASE technician but I've never taken a vehicle whether mine, friends, or family's to the shop because I couldn't do the task. I'm halfway through building at 4.7 stroker for my wrangler and I just got done setting up a set of gears in a 10.25 for my f350

The crank would be spun by a friend on a breaker bar. Id watch the exhaust close and just before the intake started to budge I'd stop him. If he passes tdc on exhaust stroke some how I could go exactly 360* (one full turn) and stop it on the compression stroke. I would have to look up what cylinders are at tdc after I found tdc on the one I was watching. After those 4 are checked, 180* (half turn) would put the other 4 at tdc.

Any play measurable by a dial indicator allowed on a valve guide?

not trying be an asz but no idea of yer skill set az you are new here. I just seen folks attempt ztuff and end up worse off than before they began.

lets just say its stupid simple...using the harmonic marked 90 deg apart from the tdc line and the 0 deg mark....start on cyl 1 follow firing order and ea 90 deg should be tdc for next cyl in order.....

there is maybe a few thou clearance to piston at tdc so no worry if off a wee bit or not.

good luck.

JM7.3CW Eh!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at my signature, it tells which and when the pistons are at TDC.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not trying be an asz but no idea of yer skill set az you are new here. I just seen folks attempt ztuff and end up worse off than before they began.

lets just say its stupid simple...using the harmonic marked 90 deg apart from the tdc line and the 0 deg mark....start on cyl 1 follow firing order and ea 90 deg should be tdc for next cyl in order.....

there is maybe a few thou clearance to piston at tdc so no worry if off a wee bit or not.

good luck.

JM7.3CW Eh!

I haven't looked at the balancer since I've owned the truck, it has marks every 90 degrees and a tdc cyl 1 mark?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mobile app doesn't show your signature

So... load the full site.... lol
I haven't looked at the balancer since I've owned the truck, it has marks every 90 degrees and a tdc cyl 1 mark?

Just tdc for 1. But then you can mark in every 90.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI firing order 12734568--------14-25-76-38 Cyl's @ TDC. 1-4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.

Copied out of oldbulls sig.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online