Intake Air Temperature Experiment

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I recently installed an overhead console I got and along with relocating some gauges I already had, I picked up a Dakota Digital Outside Temperature Gauge (part #ODY-15-1-S-T) and sending unit (part #SEN-15-1).
You must be registered for see images attach

(No, those aren't "speed holes" I just decided to put my gauges elsewhere and I'll do something with that space another time).

Well, I got to thinking, I could use this gauge to determine the difference between pulling the intake air from outside the vehicle, then from in the engine bay. I, like many people, run an open K & N air filter on my 2-door bronco (5.0). With no baffling or duct work, it is sucking air from the engine bay. I knew that wasn't the best, but I had no idea.

Also, it should be said, this write-up is not to weigh in on the trade-offs of running the open air filter without the restrictive factory set up but with the warmer engine bay air, compared to the factory set up with outside air. In a perfect world, you get a less restrictive filter and duct work AND get outside air (a project I will tackle at some point). But for the time being, I thought it would be good to have some real-world numbers. So, here's what I did.

First, the vehicle is a 92 Centurion C350 4-Door Bronco with a 94 7.3 IDI out of an E350 with an old (pre-sidewinder) Banks Turbo setup on it. Aside from running 35's, a 1 inch body lift, 4 inch open exhaust (no muffler), and bumping up the timing a bit, there are no other modifications on this truck.

We ran two tests, one with the temperature sending unit on the duct work while air is being pulled in from the gap under the hood in accordance to the factory set up, and then another test pulling air from the engine bay, near the wheel well.

This test was performed in Cary, NC, today. The gauge red the outside temperature as 58 in the shade, and 71 in direct sunlight when we began the test.

After bringing the vehicle up to operating temperature (around 185) we drove on the highway, keeping the speed between 65 and 75 (averaging around 2100 RPM's). At the start of the test, my lovely wife took an initial reading, and then a reading every minute for 5 minutes. After the test, we stopped the truck and let it idle for 2 minutes and took another, idling temperature reading. Here are the results.

Here is the temperature sending unit.

Here you can see where it is ran into the duct work.

First test was with the factory plastic piece that pulls air from outside, right under where the hood meets the top of the radiator support.

The temperatures were as follows:
Start of test: 73
1st Minute: 72
2nd Minute: 70
3rd Minute: 70
4th Minute: 70
5th Minute 72
Average temperature: 71.17
2 Minute Idle temperature: 129

Next I removed the factory hard plastic duct work, and directed the flexible piece towards the wheel well.

I did this because I have seen many pics of people who have done away with the air box and run an open filter on the wheel well. Below is a pic of my 2-door set-up for reference.

Start of test: 127
1st Minute: 128
2nd Minute: 127
3rd Minute: 127
4th Minute: 126
5th Minute 129
Average temperature: 127.33
2 Minute Idle temperature: 140

All of the pics can be seen here: https://www.supermotors.net/registry/18695/75142

I know this experiment isn't perfect, but I tried to eliminate all the variables I could. Still, I think the numbers are very telling.

Hope you enjoyed!

MoMo

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Now make a cowl induction or ram-air intake, and it will be perfect;Sweet

X 2.............. Bet your temps would be even cooler if you did this test with a cowl intake like the Hypermax, especially at idle...............:D

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to share that. It is appreciated info.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to get the tempa in the intake just past the turbo hat... Maybe in the turbo hat. See how hot the turbo makes the air going into the intake...

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take the rubber piece seperating the core support from the plastic grill/headlight holder assy. and cut it directly below the factory air intake, the air as you are moving down the highway will stack up in front of the radiator, looking for a place to go. With the rubber piece trimmed down, cold air will flow up through it and directly into your factory intake. Makes a difference.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try it out with mine, when its closer to that temperature thanks for the work :thumbsup:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I did the same test last year with my 93, your results are pretty similar to mine. The factory tube does provide much cooler air when moving than no tube at all but it sucks up the heat really quickly at idle. The hypermax intake didn't absorb near as much heat at idle though. I would still have my intake temp guage, but I think my engine ate my probe. The guage died and when I went to check it, the probe had been pulled off the wire and I couldn't find it anywhere in the airbox.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I recently installed an overhead console I got and along with relocating some gauges I already had, I picked up a Dakota Digital Outside Temperature Gauge (part #ODY-15-1-S-T) and sending unit (part #SEN-15-1).

(No, those aren't "speed holes" I just decided to put my gauges elsewhere and I'll do something with that space another time).

Well, I got to thinking, I could use this gauge to determine the difference between pulling the intake air from outside the vehicle, then from in the engine bay. I, like many people, run an open K & N air filter on my 2-door bronco (5.0). With no baffling or duct work, it is sucking air from the engine bay. I knew that wasn't the best, but I had no idea.

Also, it should be said, this write-up is not to weigh in on the trade-offs of running the open air filter without the restrictive factory set up but with the warmer engine bay air, compared to the factory set up with outside air. In a perfect world, you get a less restrictive filter and duct work AND get outside air (a project I will tackle at some point). But for the time being, I thought it would be good to have some real-world numbers. So, here's what I did.

First, the vehicle is a 92 Centurion C350 4-Door Bronco with a 94 7.3 IDI out of an E350 with an old (pre-sidewinder) Banks Turbo setup on it. Aside from running 35's, a 1 inch body lift, 4 inch open exhaust (no muffler), and bumping up the timing a bit, there are no other modifications on this truck.

We ran two tests, one with the temperature sending unit on the duct work while air is being pulled in from the gap under the hood in accordance to the factory set up, and then another test pulling air from the engine bay, near the wheel well.

This test was performed in Cary, NC, today. The gauge red the outside temperature as 58 in the shade, and 71 in direct sunlight when we began the test.

After bringing the vehicle up to operating temperature (around 185) we drove on the highway, keeping the speed between 65 and 75 (averaging around 2100 RPM's). At the start of the test, my lovely wife took an initial reading, and then a reading every minute for 5 minutes. After the test, we stopped the truck and let it idle for 2 minutes and took another, idling temperature reading. Here are the results.

Here is the temperature sending unit.

Here you can see where it is ran into the duct work.

First test was with the factory plastic piece that pulls air from outside, right under where the hood meets the top of the radiator support.

Start of test: 73
1st Minute: 72
2nd Minute: 70
3rd Minute: 70
4th Minute: 70
5th Minute 72
Average temperature: 71.17
2 Minute Idle temperature: 129

Next I removed the factory hard plastic duct work, and directed the flexible piece towards the wheel well.

I did this because I have seen many pics of people who have done away with the air box and run an open filter on the wheel well. Below is a pic of my 2-door set-up for reference.

Start of test: 127
1st Minute: 128
2nd Minute: 127
3rd Minute: 127
4th Minute: 126
5th Minute 129
Average temperature: 127.33
2 Minute Idle temperature: 140

All of the pics can be seen here: https://www.supermotors.net/registry/18695/75142

I know this experiment isn't perfect, but I tried to eliminate all the variables I could. Still, I think the numbers are very telling.

Hope you enjoyed!

MoMo

Quite simply I will endeavor to install a factory intake or draw air from similar location....or...A Snorkel???

Hmmm......s n o r k e l..... -Drool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance