Installing new IP, any kind of "teflon tape" type fix for the injector line threads?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my lines them (which was difficult to loosen I might add) Never got tightened. I spun and spun and spun and it just never seemed tight when I reinstalled it. The injector threads looked fine, and I tightened it with what is basically a stubby wrench, never applying anywhere near the torque I did to the others.

Is there anything i can wrap the threads with that can stand up to injector pump pulses and pressures? Its a long shot but just curious. I will also be removing these lines again in a week or 2 to install my new injectors, so it does not have to be permanent.

Thanks in advance!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that nothing you can wrap around the threads is going to properly seal it up even on a temporary basis. If the injector threads are definitely in good shape, I think you need to replace the line. It MIGHT be possible to epoxy it together, but no guarantee that it'll work, and you're going to have a miserable time removing it when the time comes...

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats kind of what I figured. Upon closer inspection the nut has a really small crack in it. Somehow I cracked it removing it which I find hard to believe but *shrug* Looks like Ill be ordering at least one new line.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The threads themselves don't seal anything on the injector. They just pull the steel line into the injector body and make them seal. Its a really miserable repair I have had to make - hopefully its a line thats easy to remove without removing the IP. I believe I saw a full set in the classifieds in the last few weeks - that would be cheaper than the $120 I paid for a single line at the stealer (I was in a bind and couldn't wait).

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How fast do you need a line? And what cylinder? I have 3 whole sets minus bits and pieces. Might could get you one for a fair deal.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a temp fix. Use a narrow gear clamp around the nut. A good welder can weld the crack, if you have a spare injector, thread the nut on it and weld it, the welder should have the coating that keeps the weld from sticking to the threads.

NEVER NEVER use teflon tape, that's for water line brass fittings, teflon tape is only a lubricant for threads.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer teflon paste. As stated above, it is not a sealer, but only a lubricant to allow tapered pipe threads to be tightened more. It has no place in a compression fitting. Even worse, the strings from the tape will permanently clog an injector, or damage a crankshaft bearing when used on oil senders, etc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can repair your existing injection line. Conestoga Diesel Injection makes and repairs injection lines. It would cost about $45 to have a new end put on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with whats posted above. All the threads in the nut are doing is holding the two compression fitting parts together to make a seal. These like any other compression fitting parts are cut to differant angles. When they are pushed together the form a seal. Think of it another way... ?What holds the dampner on the crankshaft shout. A compression fit thats been refered to as a taper fit. Ever wonder why the farther on it goes the harder it is to get all the way on.. Thats the taper or compression fit actions. In any liquid compression fitting the compression is done quicker and much easier to take apart. Ever wonder why no oil leaks out from the dampner to crank dit... Compression fit.. Now we do need to add a dab of rtv where the keyway is because thats gonna leak oil if you don't..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online