Input wanted on a 7.3 IDI engine

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a 7.3 IDI engine that he wants to sell for $350. There is water in the oil. He suspects it might be the oil cooler but not sure. Everything is there but the starter. Is this a fair price. Is there a chance of internal damage from water oil mix being left in there for a long time?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water in oil for along time will make sludgy mess and guwe and my guess it would have an cavitation problem going on turn the crank make sure it's free an the more expierenced members will chime in soon on what they think the issue could be

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I paid $200 for a complete one with no water in the oil, so I would say $350 is too high.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ya don't touch it unless you want to use it for extrenal parts (pump, injectors, manifolds etc) Who knows how long it was run with water lubricating the bearings... And theres probably a cavitation or head gasket issue with it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It will be a chance buying it for a runner. If you do buy it place it on a stand and take it apart. Check all the bearings and wear parts. Water will ruin bearings but it will drop to the bottom of the oil pan too. The reasons for water is well published here as you have seen in this post. Reasons for buying it and opening it up is this.. If you buy it and find out the oil cooler is the parblem and fix that. What other damage has been done for running it long term with oil mixing..... If its cavitation or a head gasket, how much damage has been done to the cylinder.. This engine may be a parts engine or a good runner too. But you need to know before you install it only to find out its shot.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i paid 400 with mine, no water in oil, compression within 5%... also had a brand new starter, lift pump *still in box had to throw it on myself* and alternator.

So 350 for one that has an unknown problem... well you said its your *buddy* so you could always grab the motor, and tear it down to see if it is the oil cooler. Not sure how to go about checking for cavitation issues without tearing the motor down... but being a friend of his maybe he would let you do all that and then take payment if the motor isnt a hunk of scrap?

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I would be able to pull the oil cooler off but I don't know about tearing the motor down. Maybe I'll just offer a couple hundred for it.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, its a boat anchor. IDI's are plentiful around here though.

Something you havent seen run and already has oil/water mix issues is worth scrap price at best...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Provideing the engine is out of the truck just a couple of bolts and the oil cooler is off. Then pull off the end caps and you will know rite away how bad the o-rings are. The probably will not come off the bundle without breaking like hard plastic thats been in the sun for years. Best to drain the water and oil from the pan. Crank over the engine at least one or two truns and make a decision as to what you feel is a fair price for an unknown engine even if its just the oil cooler. What you don't want to do is crank the engine with oil and water in it. You will suck up the oil first and then it sits in the oil pump. Thats not good ever. Also look at the oil pan for a cork or rubber gasket. If you see one its been opened up at least once before you. Thats something you want to investigate further. All sorts of "things" could have been done internally. Like bored 40 or 60 over and the crank turned 30 or 40 under... I have seen 40 under bearings and 40 over pistons on ebay many times. Never ever buy or turn a crank more than 10 under. Any more and your thru the hard part and the bearing journel will not hold up to the spinning stress put on it.... Why suppliers sell oil pan gaskets and 60 over or 40 under stuff for our engines is a wonder to me... P.S... Oem never used a oil pan gasket. They used RTV and it works forever. If the surface is clean when its applied it will never leak..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Get a couple of good batteries and rig the thing up to do a compression test. A low cylinder will pinpoint a gasket or cavitation problem. Keep in mind that there is also the possibility of the problem showing up after the engine has warmed up so the comp test is a guide line and not foolproof. You also have to wonder how long the mess has circulated through the oil passages and what kind of damage the bearings have. I would offer him $50 and plan on a teardown or move onto a better deal.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are new to IDIs you could always offer $50-$70 then tear the thing down to have the learning experience of doing so.

That is my plan if I can find one cheap around here.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
i wouldnt even think about doing this if hes your buddy and you are second guessing hes probley not your best buddy lol thats just my opion it theres a guy at here in san diego asking same price lol the guys been trying to sell it for over a year hes on glue no one will ever buy it ever!!! http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/2974660322.html

I have two rebuildables in my garage. Can't get the price of scrap for them so they sit.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had planned to completely tear it down if I got it. I've rebuilt a couple gassers but have never done a diesel before. I'm going to see if get it for cheap. Wel'll see.