Injectors leaking, which return line kit?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to see if the caps have centered barbs , early or offset, late. 89 is a quistionable split year. and with engine changes anything is possible, that is why I ask for a type before I sell a kit.

what do you mean by centered barbs?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
From you picture you have the centered barbs.

Look real close at the pictures in the e-bay link you provided, the first listing is with centered barbs on the black plastic caps, the second listing has the offset barbs on the black plastic caps.;Sweet

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohhh ok, now i see it. lol. well ill take a closer look to make sure in the morning.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he has both. :dunno The 90 is an old style, and the strieght one is an offset. Both have different diameter barbs as well. You can mix 7.3 parts on a 6.9 system, but it's a little harder putting 6.9 parts on a 7.3 because of the larger hose. You can actually use either size on either engine. I prefer the 6.9 style myself, and use that style on my 7.3 so I have standardized my fleet. I also ALWAYS give the IP it's own return to the manifold, regardless of how it was originally setup.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i ordered the older style, so it should work?

It isnt hard to install this is it?

and nappa wanted like $94 for the kit, i thought that was too expensive. I'm kinda on a budget anyway

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
You can mix 7.3 parts on a 6.9 system, but it's a little harder putting 6.9 parts on a 7.3 because of the larger hose.

I bought my return line set for an 85 even though I have a 7.3l. The problem I had was I have the 7.3l filter and so the barb on the filter was a little small for the fuel line and causing a leak. At least that's what I've surmised along the way.

By the way Mel, you're a big reason I have this truck. I had an 85 Bronco I wanted to Dieselize, and saw your Moosestang a few years ago. I started looking for a truck for a donor and ended up with this one which was too nice to part out. Then the Bronco became a $4800 + cash for clunker for me, how could I pass that up.:dunno Especially since I could buy that Bronco again for $500-$800 bucks. I still want an 80-86 Bronco with an IDI and a 5spd.;Sweet

mahatma171

Reaction score
It will work. You should have those things slapped on there before you know it. Just pull air cleaner, loosen injector lines & move gently out of the way, pull the old stuff off, put your new o-rings on and your new caps and lines, put injector lines and air cleaner back on and should be good. You might get a little air in the system but I doubt it. If you do it will blow out in a few minutes of running. $94 would have been too steep. You did good.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and my dad got them in, wasn't real hard. I didn't put the copper seals in, im guessing you have to take the injectors out for this?

mahatma171

Reaction score
Me and my dad got them in, wasn't real hard. I didn't put the copper seals in, im guessing you have to take the injectors out for this?

That would be correct.

As an alternative use, you can make a custom decoration with them and hang it from your rearview mirror....

Or, better yet, put them in a rubber band slingshot and see if you can hit a target :D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I found they were the perfect washer for something else on my truck, can't for the life of me think of what that was. At the time I thought I should remember so I could pass it on and it's gone.cookoo

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang. I was getting 10-12mpg, and i got 17.25 today. im super happy, ive wasted way too much fuel for tooo long.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Your getting better millage by changing your o-rings and return lines? I did mine today, hopefully I'll see some improvements, but I don't see how this is.:dunno

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because fuel was leaking out of them..

All of my injectors stayed wet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online