Injector change out

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gonna install a new set of injectors I was wondering how tough it is to reprime the new ones. I have dont lots on tractors and backhoes but I was wondering do you guys change out all 8 at once or do two at the time and start the truck and then a couple more that way you will have 6 cylinders to make the truck run and prime the new injectors. I usually just leave the fuel line loose untill I get a good fuel flow and tighten them up and start whatever I`m working on. How do yall do it

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to bleed the lines on these trucks. They will self bleed through the return lines, just crank it over a little bit, giving the starter a little rest inbetween.

A couple of months ago I ran my truck totally out of fuel. I only had to crank on it about a minute or so and it pushed all the air out and started right up.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any gain to be had by taking out the glow plugs to relieve compression before cranking? Does that take enough load off the starter to keep it from overheating?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any gain to be had by taking out the glow plugs to relieve compression before cranking? Does that take enough load off the starter to keep it from overheating?
I think that would be way more work than you need to do. I didn’t even crack the injector lines. Unless you have drain back issues the truck should start because there’s fuel in the injection pump. I fired mine up and it just ran rough until it cleared the air out. That’s all I’ve done every time I’ve taken the lines off

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that would be way more work than you need to do. I didn’t even crack the injector lines. Unless you have drain back issues the truck should start because there’s fuel in the injection pump. I fired mine up and it just ran rough until it cleared the air out. That’s all I’ve done every time I’ve taken the lines off
I second this approach. The only thing I would add is have the throttle wide open when you’re cranking. It will push more fuel through the lines faster making for a faster bleed time. That’s what I’ve done and I works real well for me

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second this approach. The only thing I would add is have the throttle wide open when you’re cranking. It will push more fuel through the lines faster making for a faster bleed time. That’s what I’ve done and I works real well for me
Yeah I just hold it wide open until it starts. Then I’ll hold it at about 1000 until it clears up

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you do is replace the injector itself, and do not loosen the line at the IP; it'll prime almost instantly.
If you loosen the lines at the IP, they will drain out... and it'll take a lot more priming to actually prime.

To properly prime/fill the lines:
1. Tighten the IP-end.
2. Leave the injector-end loose by a hair
3. Floor the throttle, make sure the key is on(FSS has fuel).
4. Crank until you see fuel squirting out of at least half the injectors. (with appropriate cranking times based on starter temps).
5. Tighten the lines at the injectors.
6. Cycle the glow plugs, crank with throttle at around half; repeat until she fires.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If all you do is replace the injector itself, and do not loosen the line at the IP; it'll prime almost instantly.
If you loosen the lines at the IP, they will drain out... and it'll take a lot more priming to actually prime.

To properly prime/fill the lines:
1. Tighten the IP-end.
2. Leave the injector-end loose by a hair
3. Floor the throttle, make sure the key is on(FSS has fuel).
4. Crank until you see fuel squirting out of at least half the injectors. (with appropriate cranking times based on starter temps).
5. Tighten the lines at the injectors.
6. Cycle the glow plugs, crank with throttle at around half; repeat until she fires.
I have to agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online