Injection Line Replacement

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Any tips for replacing them? Will I need to retime the IP or anything after injector and injection line replacement?

Just replaced the glow plugs a few months ago with new ZD9's. Going to try to install the oil pressure gauge while I'm in there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
timing shouldnt change much. but would not be a bad idea to throw it on the meter after.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I will have to find someone that could check it here locally, or rent one from icanfixall. I'm changing the injection lines because one of the PO's used lines from a van. They are all bent up and fungly cookoo

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i prefer to use 6.9 lines, without the pulse adapter.

i really wish i could get a set of polished stainless injection lines.....
powder coating them and paint does not last.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ones I bought were from a 7.3L, but I haven't really paid any attention to a pulse adapter. Not positive that I currently have one, so I may to a mix and match on the lines. And eventually I will paint the lines with high temp exhaust paint. SS lines are $500, but I wouldn't complain about free ones :D

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Btw, what size is the port behind the intake where the factory oil pressure guage sender is?

1/4" or 1/8" NPT?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ones I bought were from a 7.3L, but I haven't really paid any attention to a pulse adapter. Not positive that I currently have one, so I may to a mix and match on the lines. And eventually I will paint the lines with high temp exhaust paint. SS lines are $500, but I wouldn't complain about free ones :D

all 7.3s have them. vans have them on #4, trucks have them on #1.
unless you use a van #1 injector line, you cannot mix and match them.
they are all to an exact length, just deleting the adapter will throw the timing off.

new steel lines are 500, you cannot get stainless lines.

n/a 7.3 oil port is 1/8" NPT

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
all 7.3s have them. vans have them on #4, trucks have them on #1.
unless you use a van #1 injector line, you cannot mix and match them.
they are all to an exact length, just deleting the adapter will throw the timing off.

new steel lines are 500, you cannot get stainless lines.

n/a 7.3 oil port is 1/8" NPT

Ahh, I i thought I was watching SS lines, guess they were stainless. I don't remember seeing any adapter on my current injection lines. Definitely have a van #1 injector line. Since it's late/cold AF out I'll check my previous pics for reference.

Thanks for the oil port info. Is the factory oil pressure sender is also 1/8" NPT? I have another 1/4" tee here, but if it's all 1/8" I'll just get a matching tee instead of adapting up in size.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some lqter blocks turbo especially have 1/4" npt...looking at my reman a 94 van engine it also has 1/4 at rear were sending unit goes.

Most are 1/8" npt fyi

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Engine is N/A, so I'll order a 1/8" tee now.

As for timing, will I need to have the IP retimed if I use the existing #1 van injector line with all the rest of the truck injector lines?

You have to zoom in to see, and the line closet to the fuel filter is obstructed, so I'll verify tomorrow, but I see nothing between the injector lines and injectors all the way around.
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You will not need to retime your engine just because you changed the hard lines. It will be easier to chrome the lines. All non turbo blocks have a 1/8th pipe thread for all the oil galley posts. All turbo blocks have the 1/4 inch pipe thread oil ports. Now realize having the 1/4 inch ports does not absolutely tell you the internals are the turbo parts. Any idi engine block can or can not be made a turbo engine. but to install turbo rods in a 6.9 block you will need custom built pistons. I believe Ross makes them and a few other piston manufactures.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the greatest picture but compare your #4 line to this one. The timing adapter is on #4 for a van, and if eliminated the line will be too short. It looks like your #4 line has been rebent to fit without the adapter.

Attachments

• DSC00241.JPG
    DSC00241.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 37

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Sure looks that way. So I should be able to use the current van #1 line and all the new to me truck lines and be fine.

I'm looking forward to getting the top of the engine cleaned up and in proper order, even though this comes at a bad time. It was on the long term list anyway. Also going to cleanup the new clamps that I put on earlier this year and paint them with high temp paint, just to attempt to avoid rust. May try to do the unoccupied lines too. Crooning then would be a good idea for a future build when I have time and money in the same place :D

Just waiting on a response from Russ to get the injectors and return kit ordered.

Thanks again for the info guys ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online