Fuel injection line replacement?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new injectors from one of the recommended members here.
Installing them was going well until my 7th one (cyl.#3).
Apparently the nut that holds the line onto the top of the injector is corroded to the line.
I was turning the nut and it wanted to bend the fuel line. So I braced the line while turning the nut.
After turning the nut a bit I realized that the nut was so "attached" to the line that the line was being twisted above the nut.
How screwed am I now?
After I realized what was going on I put some Kroil penetrant on the top of the nut but I'm afraid the line is probably toast.
And I haven't been able to find even a part # in my shop manual or online.
Help?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You can see if it'll break loose, you may be able to reuse the line, depending on if it didn't twist too much. If it twisted too much, it won't align very well, and could potentially leak. But only one way to tell... Otherwise you'll have to source another line.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see if it'll break loose, you may be able to reuse the line, depending on if it didn't twist too much. If it twisted too much, it won't align very well, and could potentially leak. But only one way to tell... Otherwise you'll have to source another line.
I guess I can keep trying. Nothing to loose at this point. I don't think it'll leak but I'm afraid the twisting would have reduced the inside diameter? Not sure how critical that is.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I guess I can keep trying. Nothing to loose at this point. I don't think it'll leak but I'm afraid the twisting would have reduced the inside diameter? Not sure how critical that is.
If it didn't twist too much, any change would be so small I wouldn't worry about it. See if it busts loose, if it completely messes up, order that one off ebay.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Where could I have gotten that part #? I was on the auto parts sites and found nothing.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it didn't twist too much, any change would be so small I wouldn't worry about it. See if it busts loose, if it completely messes up, order that one off ebay.
I'll keep putting the penetrating fluid to it and try again tomorrow.
I'm wondering if I shouldn't try turning it the other way when I go back and try to break it loose or keep with the same direction. I don't know anything about stressing metal.

Msch3390

Reaction score

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It'll be the same. Not sure why they put '88 on there; probably came off a 7.3idi and covering their ass.
I'll bet that the 87 didn't use the timing adapter on top of the #1 injector. Then again, it does say that it's for a 6.9 or 7.3. That just adds emphasis on my theory that most Ebay sellers have absolutely no clue about what they're actually selling. Kind of like the auto parts store guy who has to ask you if you have 4X4 before he can sell you a pair of wiper blades for your truck.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Try tightening and loosening it several times to try and work it loose, just make sure you jeep it lubed up with a good amount of wd-40 or kroil before trying to fully take it off. Might get lucky.

Kalmanto

Reaction score