in need of direction and advice

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have been haveing hard start issues. the glow plug system works properly brand new plugs and connectors also i have tested it out as that was my first suspect. i am leaning twards either air intrusion (likely suspect) as i just did injectors and caps a month or so ago. also possibly the starter not turning over fast enough. how would i go about testing for air intrusion? so as to locate the exact location of it? fuel come out of the filter head right away and will shoot across the engine bay. btw its a 92 7.3 non turbo. any help will be greatly appriciated. also i have no idea on how fast the starter is spinning the engine due to my tach sensor being shot.

DragRag

Reaction score
If the starter sounds like it is spinning slow it, then it probably is. Slow spinning starters will always give a hard start condition, and also drain our battery in a hurry. I would test your batteries, ans if they are good, and it is slow, I would replace the starter. Air leaks should fixed to of course.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can post a video of it cranking that will help us determine if its spinning fast enough. If you can count the revolutions, it is definitely too slow. That will mean either starter, batteries, or the cables connecting them are in bad shape.

Is it always hard starting, or only in colder temperatures?

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much always unless i just shut it off within an hour or two. i had the batts tested and there good and all the cables look good tight connections no corrosion. i am kinda startin to think the starter is the culprit. you can almost count the revolutions. or it seems like it.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
so i have been haveing hard start issues. the glow plug system works properly brand new plugs and connectors also i have tested it out as that was my first suspect. i am leaning twards either air intrusion (likely suspect) as i just did injectors and caps a month or so ago.

Sounds like maybe a weak starter or batteries/connection to me as well. What I did to check for air intrusion was using some clear plastic line in different parts of the fuel system. It makes it really easy to see the air bubbles. You can narrow down where it is coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. i will try that as well with the engine running and let it sit with it on there. maybe i can get it all figured out here soon. its gettin old real fast having to wonder if its gonna start or not

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
Replace the starter, that way next time you know it wont be the issue. It's $110 and it will go eventually if it hasnt.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
thanks. i will try that as well with the engine running and let it sit with it on there. maybe i can get it all figured out here soon. its gettin old real fast having to wonder if its gonna start or not

I know what you mean I went through the same thing myself. Took me a while to get mine right. Then I let my son use it and I have to get the trailer out and pick it up. Last time for that!! Anyway keep plugging away and you will get it. I hate my truck when its broke but I sure love it when its running right.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very true i wont sell it for nothing. its my dd right now till i find work then i will be gettin a gas saver. i drive way to much to be payin for diesel all the time. plus i need to do some head work to it this spring and put the turbo on it thats on the way.