I'm stupid and I know it.............

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been having all kinds of oil leak issues since putting my turbo back on. Well I figured out what was the issue. The issue is that I am stupid and must admit to such. I had a leak at the Banks oil fill adapter thingy where the relocated CDR tube went. When I took it off to reseal it I made my own gaskets with gasket paper stuff. Made thousands of gaskets out of this stuff in my career. This time it "forgot" to cut out the hole on the inside of the gasket to vent the crankcase gases. Hence all my new oil leaks, including oil leaking from tailpipe and spraying cars with an oily fog.
Please everyone learn from my stupidity.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ouch. We've all done stupid things. Good to know you owned up to it. You'll laugh at it someday.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
don't feel bad. a friend of mine had me come over for the same oil leaks. he just rebuilt his 6.9. painted the entire engine, forgot to remove the tape over the cdr hole.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the timing belt and timed my diesel vw dasher and went to crank the engine to show off to my wife when I heard an awful clanging noise. I forgot to take the injector pump locking tool out. can you say piston to valve contact! Very embarrassing sort of knocked the machismo right out of me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. I hope the leaks stop and you don't have any long time issues with leaks. When I turn up or down my fuel I use a fan nut wrench to move the crank that small amount so the pump adjustment is lined up. Twice I have forgotten to remove it when I start the engine. Now that makes a clanking sound when it goes for a ride on the water pump. We all make mistakes. Owning up to them is what many can't do very easily.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one, after having to rebuild the engine because of the mistake, I started hanging a red rag on the hood whenever I have tools in the engine. VW's don't have much clearance and when the the starter was engaged it made the timing belt slip over the teeth on the IP and caused the pistons to hit and bend the valves. To this day whenever I talk about working on a vehicle my buddies ask if I removed all the tools, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online