If I was in Oregon....

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Count me in to lend a hand as well Punk & 101. I'm off weekends but would burn a day or two of vacation if we had to head over there on a Friday/Monday or something.

Mike

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
he emailled me that he wants to keep it if it can be fixed
Let me know on the bearings shipped to zip 97006. I will let
Everyone know when and where this is gonna happen. Helping
Hands would be great. Let pull together and help a fellow idi'er ( this is his
Third one btw)

Thanks all
R. Justin
Aka punkmechanic

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang man, wish I was closer and I'd jump in too.

This board really has one hell'uv'a great bunch of folks.

When I first saw the ad I never even thought about offering to help the poor guy fix it. And I'm generally regarded as beng a pretty decent sort - I'm usually willing to go out of my way to help others.

It just never occurred to me to make that kind of offer to a total stranger.

KUDOS to the BOOB guys! This really IS a brotherhood!

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in NE Salem and usually have Monday and Sunday off. Punk were are you at? Your sig. says Florida?

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I live in NE Salem and usually have Monday and Sunday off. Punk were are you at? Your sig. says Florida?

97006 is Beaverton (you can just type in the zip code in a google search box & it shows you a map of the area, pretty cool ;Sweet ).

Mike

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Russ (typ4) is in Newberg. We could probably arrange a hand-off to one of you guys further north instead of shipping.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my son lives off murray and 26, i will hand them to him and so on from there. I will dig them up.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. This is a great group. If anyone else has anything that could be useful in this please let me know. Im gonna bring my precision measuring tools, and the gray matter between my ears ( I hope it is useful for somthing other than holding my hair up), a manual for that specific engine (from ford), and my fiance for moral support.

I will update when he emails me back and Im gonna try to get him on here so I dont have to be a go between (Im gonna get in some s*it if I dont quit with the phone at work, nothing yet but I see where it could get ugly lol)

Thanks again to everyone and check back on here and keep current as this shakes down.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
he has a hoist and a garage. It sounds like he has some
Stuff. I'm just gonna bring what looks like it could be useful.
He said he will grill out and we can crash at his place. Gonna
Call him I a bit after dinner and I will post again. He is look
Into gettn I. The forum tonight.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm down to help. Basically anytime on the weeked the end of August on....would only be able to stay for a day, get there in the morning, leave at night. I will bring an amigo along, chevy gasser guy, but he knows how to wrench good ;Sweet. I'll make sure to bring the BFH :D .

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
ok. I talked to him on the phone and have a bit more info to add to all this.

first off some background. He is my age and has a fair knowledge of the idi (this is his third one, lucky!) and his father and brother have owned them. He really loves the truck and doesnt want to part with it but was afraid it was gonna be a spendy fix.

What happened: He was driving down the parkway towing an empty trailer followed by his fiance. He noticed the oil pressure jumped up a bit and took note cause he had never seen it do that before. He then noticed a puff of white smoke out the exhaust and took the next exit to figure out why. He shut it down asap (less than 5 minutes) and had it towned home by his brother. He pulled the dipstick and it was WAY too high. After letting it settle over night he pulled the drain plug and got a gallon or so of coolant before it started dumping oil. After replacing the oil cooler and the fluids he started it and it was jumping and sounded "off" so he shut it down and asked around for answers. He was told it was bad and posted it rather than dump money he doesnt have into it.

I told him that it probably wasnt as bad as it seemed. I think that the thermostat stuck closed, spiked the coolant temp (the gauge likely wouldnt have shown anything "thanks ford!") and the excess pressure blew the cooler and steam cleaned a couple cylinders from the crankcase up.

I told him to get on here and get a user name and introduce himself. He is gonna pull the gp's tommorow and see if they show signs of coolant cleaning or whatnot. i told him to pull the gp's and inspect them, then ohm them to be sure they are functional, then pull the wire to the pump and crank it over to verify all the pistons are compressing ( and that there isnt coolant pouring out of one from a blown head gasket). If all this checks out I told him to pull the rad cap and start it, let it come up to temp and look for bubbles in the rad (again, head gasket) and see if the "shaking" improved once warm. I also told him to keep an eye on the exhaust color and scent.

He is gonna post tommorow and let us know what all this turns up. I think he is being cautious and doesnt want to make bad, worse.

He said he knows what they run like when they are running well but doesnt have much diag experience or experience with how to fix anything major.

Please welcome the new member and give him your best .02.

I would like to have a get together in the next month or two with anyone that is close enough to come. I had no idea that everyone would rally for the cause the way they did and I must say Im very proud to be a member.

thanks,
R. Justin
aka punkmechanic

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I am the guy with '86 F250...

First off, I'd like to thank eveyone for their support in helping me to fix my truck. This is the third 6.9L Diesel that I've owned, and you couldn't give me anything else (I love my old Ford diesels). I thought that it was a lost cause and was ready to throw in the towel because I thought that I'd wouldn't be able to fix it. I have the tools, but not the knowledge of these motors internally. I've installed a 6.9L in my first truck by myself, and a 7.3L in a buddy's retired U-Haul, but never really tore into the inside of one (Only engine out of three that I've owned to ever give me any trouble). I'm going to take out the glowplugs and check a couple other things that Punk told me to check to try to narrow this down to what is going on. I haven't even started the truck in over a month because I didn't want to cause any further damage. Since it started acting weird on the parkway that fateful day, I've only had it started once for about 2 minutes (max). I didn't even realize it, but I was already a member of this forum from back when I got my first truck. I just reset my password and I'm back on here again. Thank you everyone again for your offers of help and parts. If you guys ever need a hand, count me in! I was so scared that I was going to end up selling my truck to someone that would just yank the good stuff off and crush the rest (not to mention my fiancee was ready to throw me in the doghouse for even thinking about selling it ... She's still not over me selling my first one over three years ago ... lol). I will have to update all my info on here to my new truck and hopefully get it back on the road again. Thanks everyone! :hail

FordGuy100

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to thank eveyone for their support in helping me to fix my truck. This is the third 6.9L Diesel that I've owned, and you couldn't give me anything else (I love my old Ford diesels). I thought that it was a lost cause and was ready to throw in the towel because I thought that I'd wouldn't be able to fix it. I have the tools, but not the knowledge of these motors internally. I've installed a 6.9L in my first truck by myself, and a 7.3L in a buddy's retired U-Haul, but never really tore into the inside of one (Only engine out of three that I've owned to ever give me any trouble). I'm going to take out the glowplugs and check a couple other things that Punk told me to check to try to narrow this down to what is going on. I haven't even started the truck in over a month because I didn't want to cause any further damage. Since it started acting weird on the parkway that fateful day, I've only had it started once for about 2 minutes (max). I didn't even realize it, but I was already a member of this forum from back when I got my first truck. I just reset my password and I'm back on here again. Thank you everyone again for your offers of help and parts. If you guys ever need a hand, count me in! I was so scared that I was going to end up selling my truck to someone that would just yank the good stuff off and crush the rest (not to mention my fiancee was ready to throw me in the doghouse for even thinking about selling it ... She's still not over me selling my first one over three years ago ... lol). I will have to update all my info on here to my new truck and hopefully get it back on the road again. Thanks everyone! :hail

Well I'm glad we (or shall I say Justin) has talked you out of selling that thing. I wouldnt be able to hand over that amount of cash for that truck, I would just feel dirty and like I cheated you. Good thing we caught you before you did :D. Yeah, test it out first, and see if its all good. Worse case scenario we all can pitch in and help you get it back in running order and back on the road.