If I was in Oregon....

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
It was evryone that talked me out of it really. I just asked Justin to point me in the right direction and here I am. I deleted the ad on Craig's List as soon as Justin emailed me back this morning. Like Justin's truck, mine is rattle canned black (I added $12.99 pin stripes ... lol). I want to give it a good paint job, but I need to fix a little body cancer first. It's got it's few things that need fixed or replaced still, but until now it always did everything I needed it too without a problem. I'll let everyone know what I find out tomorrow after I check out a few more things. THANK YOU!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the main bearings in hand and am still looking for the rod bearings. I may have tossed them but I know where to get some on the cheap.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One suggestion I'd like to make. If it turns out that the oil cooler is the only place coolant was getting into the oil, you may be OK. BUT, before you start driving it, be SURE to give it a good treatment with some Bardahl Motor Flush.

Even if it wasn't run long enough for the coolant in the oil to damage the bearings, the ethylene glycol in antifreeze will attack the babbet (soft lining) in your rod and crankshaft bearings.

I spun a rod bearing on a little Mazda that otherwise seemed fine after replacing a blown head gasket. And I even did a flush with clean motor oil after the repair (fill it, run it a half hour, drain it, replace the filter and refill it).

It just wasn't enough to flush the antifreeze out of the bearing linings and she threw a rod within a couple of weeks....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
It was evryone that talked me out of it really. I just asked Justin to point me in the right direction and here I am. I deleted the ad on Craig's List as soon as Justin emailed me back this morning. Like Justin's truck, mine is rattle canned black (I added $12.99 pin stripes ... lol). I want to give it a good paint job, but I need to fix a little body cancer first. It's got it's few things that need fixed or replaced still, but until now it always did everything I needed it too without a problem. I'll let everyone know what I find out tomorrow after I check out a few more things. THANK YOU!!!

When i first saw this thread I felt it would end like this.... these guys here are great.

oh and Welcome to OB!;Sweet

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
And here I was wishing I was closer to steal that truck! :)

Welcome to the group dude, hope these great folks can get you up and running in short order. They're like the freakin' IDI Ghostbusters :)

Good group that I'm proud to be associated with.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to go get mine apart yet (Been busy with brakes on a Jeep, fuel pump in a Blazer, and headed to tune up a Chevy truck), but will get to it in just a bit. It started to rain this morning, so I was waiting for it to stop and the calls just started pouring in for auto repair. Sad that I can fix everyone else's vehicles, but not my own (Guess that's why a painter's house always has peeling paint and a shoe maker is walking around in shoes that are ready to fall apart ... lol.). I really appreciate all the advice and the warm welcome to OB. I'll keep you guys up to date on what I find out tonight.

I would have sold it to one of you guys alot easier than the people that did contact me about it when it was for sale. At least someone on here would have appreciated the truck the way I do. Two guys that contacted me wanted to give me $400 for it because all they wanted was the turbo and tires, then crush the rest of the truck. After finding that out, I never even talked to them again because I didn't want to see that happen to it. By the way, a friend of mine has a 7.3L block with everything other than the injector pump, injectors, and oil cooler that he wants to get rid of for like $100. He ran it out of oil (completely out) and it started knocking. He bought a different motor out of a wrecking yard and I swapped it out for him. Now he has the old motor in his back yard and his girlfriend wants it gone. I can most likely get it off him for cheaper than that if someone is looking for a spare block or other parts. I thought about taking it off his hands if my block is damaged. Let me know and I'll be back on here later tonight. Thanks guys.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I just got home. I'm gonna grab something to eat and start pulling glow plugs. I might not be able to crank it over and see what blows out of the cylinders tonight (my neighbors are all OLD people), but I will do that it in morning. I hope that everyone had a good day. I'll keep everyone informed as the details become available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online