IDI into Mustang

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have seen a YouTube video of a guy in Europe with a diesel in a Fox Body. I think it was a PSD, but not sure. Anyway I have been thinking for awhile about putting a IDI into a Fox. Any comments, suggestions, questions please feel free. This could be a serious consideration, so serious I might sell the WRX if it would be that cool.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
No reason why not. There is a guy north of me in Witcha Falls, Tx that has a Duramax in a mustang that he races.

It would need some front spring work.

There is also a guy on you tube that put.Cummins into a Monte Carlo.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Of course it would be a ZF5. Would the tranny align with the hole already in the floor? I would be running 3.55's. Any idea about what kind of fuel mileage it would get? I am thinking it would be really fast, especially with a turbo, and get about 40mpg.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I would probably turbo it, and maybe just do a low compression rebuild with moose pump, moose injectors, head studs, and typ4 cam.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
That sound like a plan. I'm unsure of what all would be needed to beef up the front end.

What year mustang are you thinking of using?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am thinking of 82-87. For the front end I could just use big block springs. It weighs a bit more than a 460, but it should be fine. And get some E load tires. Might have to do steering components and such. I should probably talk to Summit Racing about this.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the biggest hurdle you will have is moving/re engineering the strut towers to cram in the IDI. At least you won't have to worry about changing spark plugs;Sweet

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
A Fox car will swallow a 460 even with 1 7/8" primary headers. Tight, but it fits. The only clearance issue is actually height: even a low-rise intake and drop-base air cleaner needs a cowl hood. I saw one running a Performer RPM and a 1/2" carb spacer and it JUST cleared with a 5" cowl hood and a drop-base filter housing.

This was in a 1979 Mustang hatch and was a daily driver.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of 460 foxes out there so it can be done. I think i saw a magazine with a duramax camaro. I think it would be neat.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Ya, I have seen plenty of 460's into Fox's. I have also seen Triton V10's and DOHC 5.4's in Fox's. I tried searching for the actual measurements for a 7.3 but got nothing. And since I am not home I cant just measure it, otherwise I would have already.

And I wouldn't be to concerned with swollen glow plugs. It will cool off well. And a Be Cool radiator with some good fans will be more than enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08