IDI into much newer truck?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, my engine is as strong as the day it was new. However, the rest of the truck is falling apart around it. Literally.
In the years I've been driving the ol' girl, I've developed a deep respect for the IDI engine.
Currently, I'm looking at a '99 quad cab. I love the looks of the truck. It's got the black grille, and the standard headlights.
It's got a 5.4 triton, and a slushbox.
How stupid would it be to try and fit an IDI with a manual in there?
Regardless, I'm going to try to buy it, just because we need another vehicle anyway.
Just planning my pipe dream here.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would love to see that and how it works. as far as i know around here you cant swap a motor older than the vehicle chassis in but diesels are exempt. not sure how the legalities would work. take lots of pics if you do!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Not a stupid idea at all!
Far as Im concerned the IDI is a much better engine than any diesel Ford has made since. I mean seriously, how many people have all the computer gadgets to work on and tune a PSD by themselves? Thats one of the main reasons why I think I'll just keep rebuilding my IDI's, because I know I can fix them.
If you can get it in there you'll be able to drive your IDI many years down the road, with updated suspension and that much newer of body.

The only hitch I can see you having is if you have to pass motor vehicle inspections regularly, some states do not allow the transplant of engines Pre-dating the vehicles build date.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hmm.... sounds like an interesting idea.... I don't think it would a stupid idea at all........You could sell the 5.4 and get some money back out of it too! Down here in FLA no vehicle inspections whatsoever so I think you'd be good to go not sure about up you're way......You ought to see some of stuff we have rolling down here, hahahah.......

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
A 7.3 powerstroke fit in there, why not an IDI. Sounds like a good swap, although alot of work. As far as emissions, diesels are exempt in PA, but there still may be a legality issue.
John

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, right now money is an issue. We have to have two vehicles. right now, we have 1 1/2.
The dying F-250, and the motorcycle.

Wife won't drive the F-250 anymore, due to firewall flex, and some electical gremlins that cause it to shut off randomly.

Once I get a few paychecks under me, I'm planning on getting the '99 crew cab, and the wife can drive that until I find a sedan or minivan for her to drive.

As far as selling the 5.4 and E4OD, I was planning on that to finance the swappage.
Wouldn't be able to do the swap until next riding season, when I can bike it back and forth to work.
On the plus side, I was told they were gving out all the overtime you can handle, so once I'm out of training, I'll be banking everything the time clock will let me have.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it would be any harder than the swap I did, or am doing now. The buggaboo is usually the law.

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the sounds of some of the guys here at New Holland, as long as you know someone to get the sticker life is pretty easy with the engine swap.
One of the guys here has a few project trucks that he has swapped gassers for 4cyl diesels and the only problems he has had with the law is they complain about the mudders on it.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
The law is no problem.
"Umm, I got an emmisions notice on my truck, and it's a diesel?"

"Oh, we're very sorry sir. We'll fix that in the computer, and you won't be bothered any more."

That's what I did when I put a 6.2 in a chevy I used to have.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've got the room and the time go for it, but you might want to think about getting a clean OBS out here as it will be easy and cheap. I see very clean bodied IDIs out here for very reasonable money, especially if they don't run or need a head gasket/tranny/etc. I'm from the rust belt originally (Cleveland Ohio, the winter salt capitol of the universe I believe) and all I can tell you is I will never work on a rusty truck again as there are too many nice older ones out here.

I like the 99 and up body style, but I also like the thought of stuff that just bolts in when I'm on a budget.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Probably an easy swap using the 99 PSD mounts, use your wiring...I think it could be done fairly straight forward. Might need to get a diesel tank to get the right size filler neck and pick-up for the IDI to pull some fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The law is no problem.
"Umm, I got an emmisions notice on my truck, and it's a diesel?"

"Oh, we're very sorry sir. We'll fix that in the computer, and you won't be bothered any more."

That's what I did when I put a 6.2 in a chevy I used to have.

Definitely depends on the state. Some are better off than others.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From an emissions standpoint, it's definitely illegal. But most motor swaps are. I would look at not only does your state inspect, but ALSO is there a possibility of inspection in the future.

Particulary with the 99 being OBD2, it would get caught up in a state starting to do inspections but only doing the "easy" ones (most 1996 and up which are OBD2 and can be inspected with a scanner hookup).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle