idi in a superduty???

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find out the wiring for a 12 Cummins swap and adapt it to the IDI, and done. Since you have a manual trans, no issues there. Cummins swaps are done daily, can't imagine an IDI being any more difficult on the electrical side.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Franklin said, the trend in modern cars is to computerize everything and have all the data go out as digital signal over the network bus. What this means in practical terms is that changing things around is much more difficult than you'd expect. Like there way be no way to get the temp gauge to work without the engine ECU. Moreover than that, the entire network may throw a hissy fit where nothing works right even if it's not directly ECU related.

The Cummins swap idea is a good one - should work pretty much the same for an IDI.

Not sure about the superduties, but I know Volvo cars went to a network system in 99. They even have computers for each door - no more changing out a bad window switch, you have to replace the entire modual and get it properly programmed and configured to talk to the rest of the car. (which of course requires the highly expensive tool & subscription)

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually the early super duties didn't run on a CAN network so they don't need another module to function correctly, yes they have communication but removing one component will not affect the other module. it will throw codes up but that isn't his concern really. if you take out the power train and transmission you will have disconnected wiring connectors and that will throw codes so the check engine light will be on, but the engine and transmission wont need that harness to function properly so there is no problem there, also the body control module will control the body components not power train so everything will still work in the interior, and he could still use the factory gauges, the speedometer doesn't run off of the engine or transmission its in the rear axle ( not sure on the super duties but think they are) so if that is the same he has his speedometer still, all the pcm needs for coolant temperature is a signal from the sensor, and you have that gauge working, the fuel pumps can be easily converted for the diesel so the fuel gauge will still be factory so that will work, and the same setup on for the voltage gauge and so on, all the pcm does for the gauges is receive the signal from the sensors and allows you to see it on the gauges, yes i know it does more than that with those signals but we only need gauges, it doesn't need to make the engine run properly because there is an idi in there, take the cluster out and removed the light bulb for the check engine light if you can and then you wont have to see it,

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually the early super duties didn't run on a CAN network so they don't need another module to function correctly, yes they have communication but removing one component will not affect the other module. it will throw codes up but that isn't his concern really. if you take out the power train and transmission you will have disconnected wiring connectors and that will throw codes so the check engine light will be on, but the engine and transmission wont need that harness to function properly so there is no problem there, also the body control module will control the body components not power train so everything will still work in the interior, and he could still use the factory gauges, the speedometer doesn't run off of the engine or transmission its in the rear axle ( not sure on the super duties but think they are) so if that is the same he has his speedometer still, all the pcm needs for coolant temperature is a signal from the sensor, and you have that gauge working, the fuel pumps can be easily converted for the diesel so the fuel gauge will still be factory so that will work, and the same setup on for the voltage gauge and so on, all the pcm does for the gauges is receive the signal from the sensors and allows you to see it on the gauges, yes i know it does more than that with those signals but we only need gauges, it doesn't need to make the engine run properly because there is an idi in there, take the cluster out and removed the light bulb for the check engine light if you can and then you wont have to see it,

So you are saying the network will still work ok with some of the modules missing? I wasn't sure about that. I believe the body module still needs to communicate with the cluster module correct? For things like "door ajar" and I believe the interior light relay is controlled by the cluster, so it needs a signal over the network from the body module to tell it one of the doors is open, turn on the interior lights.

Were the v10's that year throttle by wire? Might have to rig in a mechanical throttle.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are saying the network will still work ok with some of the modules missing? I wasn't sure about that. I believe the body module still needs to communicate with the cluster module correct? For things like "door ajar" and I believe the interior light relay is controlled by the cluster, so it needs a signal over the network from the body module to tell it one of the doors is open, turn on the interior lights.

Were the v10's that year throttle by wire? Might have to rig in a mechanical throttle.

your right but the body control module doesn't need the cluster to still operate the interior of the vehicle, only need the cluster to make things like door ajar and cluster back lighting work for the cluster, if its not plugged in then it will throw codes, but the windows and door locks and things of that sort will still work,

there is no need to remove the modules, they just simply wont have the signal form all of the sensors on the engine and transmission so it will throw codes, use the pcm to still get the gauge readings, you can even leave the harness under the hood and just connect what is needed for the idi to work properly and would hardly have to touch the factory harness except maybe to route it in a different position, tie up the connectors that are not being used, use the factory harness and then tie in the coolant temperature sensor and things of that sort to get the gauge readings, all of that will still go through the pcm, not to sure about the throttle by wire on the v10s but that still isnt a big job to do,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online