idi in a superduty???

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im about to pick up a 2000 f250 4x4 v10 auto and my plan is swapping an idi into it. I have a good 7.3 engine ready to go in something. Im about to buy a 97 f-450 powerstroke for $600 so ill have a 5 speed to go in it. Whats your guys thoughts on the swap?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with local laws about installing an older engine into a newer truck, something tells me it's likely not allowed.

JM2CW

Also seems like shiteload of work to me...

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not allowed technically but no one would ever know because where I live anything with a gvw over 8500lbs or pre 96 doesn't have to do emission testing. All it would have to be is inspected yearly and i know people to pass me on that

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be much harder from when I switched my 91 from a small block to an idi. It might take a bit more work but it would be bad ass in my opinion

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any swap can be done it just takes some doing if you want to do it bad enough. I don't think it would be that bad. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be that bad. you may have some issues with the drivelines, other than that you shouldn't have any Big problems, maybe have to fab another crossmember. the hardest part would be making the gauges work. I think I'd cut the factory cluster out and go with Autometer gauges with a carbon fiber filler plate behind them. And turbo the crap out of her!!!!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the 2000 dash to light up would be my biggest concern. Not sure how they pull feeds for the gauges. Do they run through the computer or do they pull right off the v10 sending units? Cruise control would be my other concern.

I'm not sure about a v10, but if there was a powerstroke in there the frame mounts should be bolt in as I understand it.

Definitely a cool project Keep us posted if you go through with it!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This swap would be an interesting project. Electrical is where your nightmare will be. Everything else would just be fabrication. Keep us posted!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
There was a time when Superduty's with blown 6.0's were pretty cheap locally. I've thought about a swap like that many times but it wouldn't work with our new emissions program.

This is a project I'd love to see come together. Keep us posted ;Sweet

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're big problem is going to be all the electronics. For sure an automatic trans is going to be problematic unless you thrown a C6 in, or maybe an E4OD with a idi ECU. Thing is all the computer systems on modern stuff all work together so it's hard to just take one out without causing problems in other systems. ABS is the only thing I can think of that you'd really want to work, but I'm not sure what else might wind up being a headache.

All the structural stuff would be work too - engine mounts, clearances, radiator hoses, fuel lines, throttle cable, etc. All probably things that could be made to work, but at what cost in time and effort?

Interesting project for sure, but not sure if it's worth the work.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the dash you could probably get away with puttin the v10 sending units on the idi. Then they would at least move + put mechanical gauges. Since your doing a 5 speed it shouldn't be terrible. Find a key on hot wire and run it to the injection pump.

Comforts of a new truck, better drive line, reliability of an idi.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would vote for plumbing the V10's gauges into the IDI, and leaving the parts of the wiring harness you need to make the cluster functional.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not like the old days of fuel injection and the older powerstrokes. They usually had two temp sensors, and separate wires for many of the guages. By 2000 they have a computer network on the truck. The engine/tranny has a computer, the cluster has a computer the body has a computer and the ABS has a computer. All these computers talk together on a network.

Before you had a temp sending unit for the guage, and another for the engine computer. In 2000 you have one temp sensor for the engine computer for what it needs, and then it also passes this info on over the network to the cluster computer. It takes that info and makes the temp guage move accordingly. I am not sure how they have the tach wire, but it might be much the same, some sort of sensor giving the v10 engine rpm info, and then the v10 engine computer passes this on to the cluster so it can tell the tach needle how much to move.

On most I have looked at, the engine computer has no need for the oil pressure reading, so they usually do have one sensor going straight to the cluster computer for that one.