IDI build in DIESEL POWER

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI: The February issue of DIESEL POWER has the start of a $300 6.9 build up. It didn't state what the plans were exactly, but a turbo installation was mentioned.

I plan on sending them an e-mail letting them know I appreciate the article, and I suggest everyone else does the same. They seem to be the most willing of the diesel mags to do articles on older trucks like out IDI's as well as first gen cummins' Letting them know we are buying the mag for these articles will hopefully keep them coming, and possibly further the support of the aftermarket.

mR

trj

MPG
Reaction score
FYI: The February issue of DIESEL POWER has the start of a $300 6.9 build up. It didn't state what the plans were exactly, but a turbo installation was mentioned.

I plan on sending them an e-mail letting them know I appreciate the article, and I suggest everyone else does the same. They seem to be the most willing of the diesel mags to do articles on older trucks like out IDI's as well as first gen cummins' Letting them know we are buying the mag for these articles will hopefully keep them coming, and possibly further the support of the aftermarket.

mR

Do you have a link?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I saw a bit in there mag about an editor buying an F250 2wd cheap to throw the mod's at....Probably the same engine in question.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the magazines start to bring interest to the older diesels, the price of them might jump up like the early 90's model mustangs did when all the magazines started having articles about them. I remember when an early 90's mustang could be bought around here for around $1000 in good shape, and then all of a sudden everyone wanted one and they were $5,000. Now that I think about it, it was about the same time all the kids around town starting getting honda civics with fart can mufflers and annoying the crap out of me.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No link, as it is in the current issue, gotta buy it I suppose.

And the $300 was the purchase price, sorry for the confusion

The build is on an '87 F250 2wd with 144,000 on the clock. It had been supposedly sitting for two years and was fired up with a little ether after fluid changes and new batteries.

mR

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice, looking forward to getting my issue. Hopefully they go quite in depth as i would love for some more ideas for my own build.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the magazines start to bring interest to the older diesels, the price of them might jump up like the early 90's model mustangs did when all the magazines started having articles about them. I remember when an early 90's mustang could be bought around here for around $1000 in good shape, and then all of a sudden everyone wanted one and they were $5,000. Now that I think about it, it was about the same time all the kids around town starting getting honda civics with fart can mufflers and annoying the crap out of me.

I don't really see that being a problem. The mustangs were a bit different because they could be made to go fast/handle well with relatively little money. I'm not sure the IDI will ever be able to compete with the modern direct injection diesels, but more aftermarket support never hurts.

mR

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
icanfixall -agnem those are the guys who need to be directing diesel power mag on there build
im shure i missed a few but they re probably going to be mentioned

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence but there are others that know more than I do. Typ4 being one of them and Towcat for another. I think most of us know something special about these trucks and motors. My first hand knowledge is always open for anyone that asks for it... I try to keep others from making the costly money mistakes that I have made along the way. I look at those as the cost of a lesson.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really see that being a problem. The mustangs were a bit different because they could be made to go fast/handle well with relatively little money. I'm not sure the IDI will ever be able to compete with the modern direct injection diesels, but more aftermarket support never hurts.

mR

What I wrote was more of a joke than anything, but I really think it would be great if more people knew about the early diesels that ford used, I remember seeing a post on another forum where someone was asking about parts for a 6.9L but they mistakenly posted it in the PowerStroke section. Someone replied that Ford never put a 6.9L diesel in a truck and shortly after someone enlightened them but still there were a few people who never knew there was anything prior to the 7.3L Powerstroke.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone besides me remember when Ford introduced the 6.9? Boy it was the cats meow... flat walk a 6.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online